Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 fifth wheel issues

Hookngo
Explorer
Explorer
Let me run this by you guys and gals,

I bought a New 2014 Voltage 3200. I decided the truck I had wasn't enough. So I purchased a New 2014 3500 Ram DRW SLT. The toy hauler is ready to go ... but the truck isn't. I've waited and waited. Come to find out the 20k Reese I bought the brackets won't fit the 2014 truck.

Dodge upgraded the entire frame and suspension components, thus, having a hard time finding brackets to fit the frame for the install. Has anyone else had to go through this nightmare. I would have NEVER imagined this of all things!! go figure, I was focused on getting the trailer issues corrected over the last several weeks. NOW cant even get it off the lot.

My truck does not have the gooseneck 5th wheel package set-up like some do 14 Rams do... however, that would be an issue too. No after market brands makes brackets for it yet I'm told by the dealer . Their still working on it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cummins 6.7
35 REPLIES 35

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
The Andersen Ultimate 5th wheelhitch, I believe, is a very good hitch, I came within a hair of getting one when I couldn't get a picture frame adapter...but when I got the adapter, my Reese 20K fit it and I was ready to go...I can remove everything in my bed also and it will be completely empty. I believe the Andersen is lighter and that would be a plus. The picture frame adapter is about 75#, then I take my hitch apart and end up removing three pieces. a bit heavy, I believe the Andersen would have a distinct advantage when it comes to installing and removing.

Yeah, but humping over the ball to hitch and unhitch would get old. And safety chains would be a pain to deal with. It would also be hard to move a traveling companions trailer during a TV break down similar to those with a slider wedge installed.

chris

True statements Chris, thus the reason I held off with Andersen hoping I could get a picture frame adapter...Though in NC, the Andersen is considered a 5th wheel hitch and doesn't require the safety chains.

One very good point...After I cancelled several camping trips waiting for Chrysler to make it right, my dealership intervened, got me the adapter for about same price as Reese adapter cost, and for my trouble, gave me a 7 yr, 100,000, zero deductible, Chrysler Max Car Care extended warranty..so in the LONG run, I really feel, though I was very mad at the time, it was all made right though with the price on the adapter and if one looks up the cost on the extended warranty, I was restituted quite well:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just bought my new B&W companion, and turnover ball from SD Truck Springs, and they beat everyones price.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NC Hauler wrote:
The Andersen Ultimate 5th wheelhitch, I believe, is a very good hitch, I came within a hair of getting one when I couldn't get a picture frame adapter...but when I got the adapter, my Reese 20K fit it and I was ready to go...I can remove everything in my bed also and it will be completely empty. I believe the Andersen is lighter and that would be a plus. The picture frame adapter is about 75#, then I take my hitch apart and end up removing three pieces. a bit heavy, I believe the Andersen would have a distinct advantage when it comes to installing and removing.

Yeah, but humping over the ball to hitch and unhitch would get old. And safety chains would be a pain to deal with. It would also be hard to move a traveling companions trailer during a TV break down similar to those with a slider wedge installed.

chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

oweninthekeys
Explorer
Explorer
I expierenced the same issue with my 2014 Ram 2500. I ended up going with the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection and love it. Not only is it easy to hookup but also gives me full use of my bed when not in tow mode.

Ultimate Fifth Wheel
USAF Retired 2000
DOD Civilian to Retire 2015
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adapter Hitch
2014 Winnebago Lite Five FW30RES

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch & Di wrote:
We wanted the Reese for our 2014 Ram but they told us it wouldn't be available til mid 2014. We had the dealer get a Curt hitch and believe it or not, it has a Reese picture frame so that the Curt hitch would have something to fit into. Can't believe Reese had a picture frame that would fit our 2014 Ram but didn't have a hitch available.
The Curt hitch works well once we welded the hitch to the frame to stop the clunking! We are not going to take it out so welding it was not a problem. Hugs, Di
Hookngo wrote:

I bought a New 2014 Voltage 3200. I decided the truck I had wasn't enough. So I purchased a New 2014 3500 Ram DRW SLT. The toy hauler is ready to go ... but the truck isn't. I've waited and waited. Come to find out the 20k Reese I bought the brackets won't fit the 2014 truck.

Dodge upgraded the entire frame and suspension components, thus, having a hard time finding brackets to fit the frame for the install. Has anyone else had to go through this nightmare. I would have NEVER imagined this of all things!! go figure, I was focused on getting the trailer issues corrected over the last several weeks. NOW cant even get it off the lot.

My truck does not have the gooseneck 5th wheel package set-up like some do 14 Rams do... however, that would be an issue too. No after market brands makes brackets for it yet I'm told by the dealer . Their still working on it.

Cummins 6.7

reese picture frame adapter is identical to the mopar picture frame adapter...I have the GN/5er prep package and got a picture frame adapter back in July and mounted my 20K Reese Signature hitch onto the adapter. There are quite a few Reese hitches that would fit on the picture frame adapter. Don't understand that Reese didn't have a hitch to fit the picture frame adapter.

The B&W turnover ball and hitch can be mounted to the Ram's, even if one doesn't have the prep package, they can still use the center frame set up for a turnover ball. a
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Hookngo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Since you don't have a prep kit. Get the B&W Turn over Ball Gooseneck prep kit. It is a one pc kit and easy to install. Then get the Companion. It is now rated for 20K. You will really appreciate the high quality of the B&W components. That is the route I was going to go if I bought a 14 or 15. But now they offer the RVK 3600 that is rated for 25K and fits the factory puck system. tweety.com is a great place to buy B&W.

Done deal thats what I did... very happy with it. Thanks all for the help.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
did you go to etrailer.com and snoop around there?

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted the Reese for our 2014 Ram but they told us it wouldn't be available til mid 2014. We had the dealer get a Curt hitch and believe it or not, it has a Reese picture frame so that the Curt hitch would have something to fit into. Can't believe Reese had a picture frame that would fit our 2014 Ram but didn't have a hitch available.
The Curt hitch works well once we welded the hitch to the frame to stop the clunking! We are not going to take it out so welding it was not a problem. Hugs, Di
Hookngo wrote:

Cummins 6.7
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, just bought a 2013 Ram 3500. AND, had the same problem. However, we took it to a place that Dodge recommended (here in OK) that does bedliners, tinting, and more. This place (Auto Definitations) know exactly what we needed....they installed the rails AFTER the bedliner was put in...no problem getting the adapters for the rails at all....all done in 1/2 day. Bedliner and rails/adapters came to $900. We picked up truck on Thursday night, went down Friday morning to get our new Cougar, and brought it home. Pulls like a dream! This is NOT that big of a deal - ask your Dodge dealer who they would recommend to put these rails/adapters in. Cost - about $400-$450 and you are set!
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you don't have a prep kit. Get the B&W Turn over Ball Gooseneck prep kit. It is a one pc kit and easy to install. Then get the Companion. It is now rated for 20K. You will really appreciate the high quality of the B&W components. That is the route I was going to go if I bought a 14 or 15. But now they offer the RVK 3600 that is rated for 25K and fits the factory puck system. tweety.com is a great place to buy B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
Hookngo wrote:
Again, I don't have the factory tow prep... that's the problem. Its not about the picture frame or gooseneck I don't have either prep! its a long bed NO prep. So the dealer and Reese say frame brackets are needed to install Reese hitch. Back to problem! NO ONE is sending brackets that work under the bed on the frame.

You don't have the factory Hitch Prep, but the factory cross member is under the truck bed. Use the B&W Gooseneck Hitch shown here, which bolts to the trucks cross member, and then use the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch shown here.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

ryork1844
Explorer
Explorer
I had this saame issue with a 2013 ram 3500. Reese did not have the universal rail mounting kit available. After weeks of aggravation and different answers to availability I finally fount that Curt Mfg had the kits available. There was two kits that were needed to install the rails. I don't have the numbers for the kits but you should be able to get them from their tech support guys. Good luck.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
Didn't realize Ram is having the same problem as last year ( nothing for the hitch prep package) :H
I assume you have the air bags in the rear that interfere with the brackets they used in 2013 models?
You might give B&W a call or visit the site. Seems their turn over ball Companion might work.
Last MY some guys couldn't tow anything for like 6 months :E
Good Luck

I think the factory frame brackets are in the way of installing after market frame brackets. And the 13 (maybe MY) was a completely new frame.

One has two routes.

1. Order with or install the factory under bed brackets.
A. Use picture frame
B. Get one of the new hitches that drops directly into the 4 bed pockets.

2. Go with the turnover ball and B&W Companion or Anderson Hitch

Or let some hitch shop cobble together a mistake!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't realize Ram is having the same problem as last year ( nothing for the hitch prep package) :H
I assume you have the air bags in the rear that interfere with the brackets they used in 2013 models?
You might give B&W a call or visit the site. Seems their turn over ball Companion might work.
Last MY some guys couldn't tow anything for like 6 months :E
Good Luck
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin