cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Florida Statute on Double Towing

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone, particularly from the great state of Florida, ever inquired and received a clear answer/response from a Florida state official as to why the state does not allow for double towing with privately owned RV's under the 2014 Florida Statute, Title XXIII Motor Vehicles 316.515(3)? Also are there any Florida residents on the forum having knowledge of any movement underway to get the statute changed? :@
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart
69 REPLIES 69

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

I’m not trying to be argumentative but If I may let me offer another scenario for your consideration. If I work for an RV transport company, I hold a commercial driver license, hold in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations a Medical Examiner’s Certificate #3393280124, and my personal pickup truck is registered as a commercial vehicle then under Florida statutes I can legally haul/pull more than two trailers ( the tow vehicle, 5th wheel, vehicle trailer behind the 5th wheel) in your state. Is that right?
Gene

DHSMW said:"Your 5th wheel (RV) would not qualify as a commercial vehicle." It does not qualify as a commercial vehicle under Federal Standards. The tow vehicle AND what is towed has to qualify.

I doubt that a new 5th wheel would be any different and qualify either.

Hey you're a Floridian and a tow meister, why aren't you jumping on the bandwagon to get this outdated statute changed? It would have to be a resident of Florida to get things moving forward not some dude from Texas. Changing it would be a great benefit all around!:B :h

Flame on if you want but: I happen to agree with the legislature that double towing is dangerous.

Regardless of how few accidents may have involved doubles,I have seen enough of them on the road to know that, I, personally, do not want to be anywhere near them when on the road.

I appreciate your opinion. One question though,what makes you think double tow is dangerous? Is it a feeling you have or have you experienced or seen a highway incident regarding this type of activity? Inquiring minds want to know.:@
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
I wrote earlier:
"What I gave you was not an assumption. I spent over 42 yrs in LE including a number of years answering questions from the public concerning the laws. When they didn't get the answer they wanted it was always followed up with either "Why?" or "I don't agree with that."
You know double tow is illegal in FL. Asking FHP "why?" won't get you the answer you want to hear. "
Read the posts a few above this one. He proved my point exactly as I predicted. Don' get the answer you want? Then argue with those who aren't the ones with the power to get it changed.
Thank you for proving my point. I spent enough time in my career dealing with just such people. It's not information they want, they just want to argue with someone in a lame attempt to try and make a point.

Wow-Mr almighty has spoken, spoken like a true law enforcement officer that you are! Your comment probably would carry more weight had you been from Florida. If one doesn't challenge the crappy laws nothing gets changed!

You still haven't gotten it thru your head. The people you are fussing and arguing with CAN'T change the law. It has to be thru the legislative process with (usually) an amendment proposed by a State legislator. I doubt any Florida legislator is going to listen to a non-constituent.

Actually you haven't gotten it. In several of my posts I've stated 2 things: 1)it takes the legislative process and 2)to initiate the process it takes a resident of Florida to contact their legislator to move forward. Otherwise everything said within this post is moot. It is not and never has been up to some dude from Texas to straighten out a Florida statute.

I simply wanted to get to the root of why the statute was written so perhaps someone in Florida would have the data. So, at the end of the day it will be up to Florida and hopefully some lurking Floridians of this here topic to think about the statute perhaps take up the cause to change the language. If not, no sweat off my back. Knowledge is power!

Now let's quit the flaming program here.:C
Gene & Robin Somogyi

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ogfalconsr wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

I’m not trying to be argumentative but If I may let me offer another scenario for your consideration. If I work for an RV transport company, I hold a commercial driver license, hold in accordance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations a Medical Examiner’s Certificate #3393280124, and my personal pickup truck is registered as a commercial vehicle then under Florida statutes I can legally haul/pull more than two trailers ( the tow vehicle, 5th wheel, vehicle trailer behind the 5th wheel) in your state. Is that right?
Gene

DHSMW said:"Your 5th wheel (RV) would not qualify as a commercial vehicle." It does not qualify as a commercial vehicle under Federal Standards. The tow vehicle AND what is towed has to qualify.

Hey you're a Floridian and a tow meister, why aren't you jumping on the bandwagon to get this outdated statute changed? It would have to be a resident of Florida to get things moving forward not some dude from Texas. Changing it would be a great benefit all around!:B :h

Flame on if you want but: I happen to agree with the legislature that double towing is dangerous.

Regardless of how few accidents may have involved doubles,I have seen enough of them on the road to know that, I, personally, do not want to be anywhere near them when on the road.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
ogfalconsr wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
I wrote earlier:
"What I gave you was not an assumption. I spent over 42 yrs in LE including a number of years answering questions from the public concerning the laws. When they didn't get the answer they wanted it was always followed up with either "Why?" or "I don't agree with that."
You know double tow is illegal in FL. Asking FHP "why?" won't get you the answer you want to hear. "
Read the posts a few above this one. He proved my point exactly as I predicted. Don' get the answer you want? Then argue with those who aren't the ones with the power to get it changed.
Thank you for proving my point. I spent enough time in my career dealing with just such people. It's not information they want, they just want to argue with someone in a lame attempt to try and make a point.

Wow-Mr almighty has spoken, spoken like a true law enforcement officer that you are! Your comment probably would carry more weight had you been from Florida. If one doesn't challenge the crappy laws nothing gets changed!

You still haven't gotten it thru your head. The people you are fussing and arguing with CAN'T change the law. It has to be thru the legislative process with (usually) an amendment proposed by a State legislator. I doubt any Florida legislator is going to listen to a non-constituent.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
I wrote earlier:

Gene & Robin Somogyi

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
I wrote earlier:
Camped in every state

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
At least you got response.

Yeah, and one I expected. Early in any process you typically get the boiler plate language until you start challenging them.:)
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
elkyrose wrote:
Thanks Gene

This is a excellent letter to any state office, Very good clarity and to the point... I totally agree that if we want to get any rules changed regarding any towing issue, it will have to be thu this process..

I have the same problems here on the left coast, but mostly allowed not always legal in all west states...

I have inquired myself as to the reason for rules againist it but still allow it..

I have recevied two [2] citations for double / triple towing in the past 30 yrs...1 in AZ and 1 in CA. Both were dismissed when I appeared as directed...No reason was givin but they did say it was a GRAY area

I still double tow [5thwheel and ball hitch RZR tailer all under 65']
from WA to AZ thu OR, CA,and UT_..and Yes I have CDL. retired O/O trucker for 40yrs...

Of all my yrs on the road, I have NEVER seen a accident with a RV double trailer yet

Now I'll proabaly get nailed this trip...

Just my two cents worth!!!! Thanks Rich

Rich, I haven't seen any RV accident with a double tow RV yet either. Heck I've been doing it for many years. Here's a pic of the DW and I heading out to the lake with the water toys.
Gene & Robin Somogyi

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
ogfalconsr wrote:

Gene

Gene & Robin Somogyi

elkyrose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gene

This is a excellent letter to any state office, Very good clarity and to the point... I totally agree that if we want to get any rules changed regarding any towing issue, it will have to be thu this process..

I have the same problems here on the left coast, but mostly allowed not always legal in all west states...

I have inquired myself as to the reason for rules againist it but still allow it..

I have recevied two [2] citations for double / triple towing in the past 30 yrs...1 in AZ and 1 in CA. Both were dismissed when I appeared as directed...No reason was givin but they did say it was a GRAY area

I still double tow [5thwheel and ball hitch RZR tailer all under 65']
from WA to AZ thu OR, CA,and UT_..and Yes I have CDL. retired O/O trucker for 40yrs...

Of all my yrs on the road, I have NEVER seen a accident with a RV double trailer yet

Now I'll proabaly get nailed this trip...

Just my two cents worth!!!! Thanks Rich

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
exactly as predicted. and I am sure your letter made the round file cabinet as soon as it was read.
bumpy

Such support is so gratifyng:W
Gene & Robin Somogyi

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
At least you got response.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ogfalconsr wrote:

Gene

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
exactly as predicted. and I am sure your letter made the round file cabinet as soon as it was read.
bumpy

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Below is the response I got back from Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles. After that is my response Back to the FDHSMV:

Dear Gene,

Thanks for your question. As you know, each state in the U.S. has their own laws. The Florida Legislature has deemed the towing of double-trailers unsafe and has therefore banned them with the exception of double-trailers hauled by commercial motor vehicles (CMV) as classified by the Federal and Florida Departments of Transportation. Any vehicle not deemed to fall under these federal & state statutes is not permitted to haul more than one trailer at a time. Your 5th wheel (RV) would not qualify as a commercial vehicle.

Customer Service Center
Correspondence/Email Unit
Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles
www.flhsmv.gov

Thank you for the quick response. Just for clarification purposes it is not against federal statutes otherwise no state would allow it if that state expected to get highway dollars. The federal government leaves it up to the individual states. In fact there are 28 states that do allow it (see below). In reviewing Florida accident/citation reporting on your website I do find quite a large number of commercial related accidents/citations however no information on RV related accidents or citations. Where would one go to obtain the statistics that supports the Florida legislature belief that it is unsafe for any vehicle other than commercial vehicles hauling/towing more than one trailer at a time. I have looked at a large number of reports and statistics and are unable to find any data reflecting the position that only commercial vehicles should double tow. It would be helpful to know how the Florida legislature came to the conclusion it is unsafe.

I’m still thinking unless there are very strong data that shows the contrary it would make sense to update the statute to allow double towing universally without regard to a commercial designation.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated in directing me or providing me the statistics for the decision to exclude.

Gene Somogyi
2152 Persimmon Dr
Cibolo TX 78108 (by San Antonio)
_________
Francesca is totally correct - find the data and challenge the statute. But according to Karen in the Research Dept of the State of Florida Statutes it will take a resident of Florida to challenge the statute through the Legislative Affairs Office. And yes I carry a commercial drivers license.

Gene
Gene & Robin Somogyi