cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Montana fifthwheel rear cap

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
As you might already have seen from previous posts in the fall, I'm thinking about trading from my 40' diesel pusher to a fifthwheel. I haven't done anything over the winter other shovel snow but now I'm starting to look again. I am looking at Montanas because I had a 2004 Montana and it served us very well. I'm also looking at the bighorn because I have a camping world 20 minutes from my house that sells them. One thing that really upset me with the 2016 Montana is that you no longer get a fiberglass rear cap unless you order what they call the legacy package for a extra $6000. This is ridiqulous. So from the rear, a $80,000 fifthwheel looks like a entry level fifthwheel and if you want your $80,000 fifthwheel to look as such, now it becomes a $86,000 fifthwheel. I just don't get it.
54 REPLIES 54

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
The Montana without the Legacy Pkg is the old Moutainer they dropped that name, now The Montana Legacy which I have a 2015 comes with the rear cap and many other goodies and they are not 80+K that is "list price" my fully loaded(except full body paint) 2015 Legacy was 68K......"List" was 84K for my 2015 3735MK
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The Legacy package says its "โ€ขMetallic Nickel Painted Fiberglass Rear Cap (N/A 3790, 3791)". What the heck is that?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
When we ordered our new 3100RL last month we went and looked at several Montana's and they had one with the Legacy package on it. With it parked next to one without it the difference is night and day as far as looks go from the rear. I agree with the poster who said it looks like they got to the rear and just stopped. Looks cheap on such a nice trailer but it is functional and who stares at the back of their camper? Well I know its back there so I had to have the nice rear end, plus the DW liked the idea of a heated bathroom floor. Our camper was built last Tuesday so I hope to get it maybe this week and I will post some pics so you can see how nice it looks. Oh yeah, while the back end may look nice the Goodyear G614's are what I am excited about.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hedgehog wrote:
I will just keep the motor home and deal with what ever repairs I have to make from lack of use.

A 2006 40 DP should have 3 or 4 slides and be a nice rig. 400 Cummins? Hopefully not a rear rad with a high blow by Cat it front of it. What is it?

You could do thinks like an oil pre-luber to soften the impact of starts. http://www.varnaproducts.com/EP-4_Pump.php

Also treating fuel with a bio-guard product would be a good idea. With boats we trend to keep the fuel tanks full to prevent condensation.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
The flat cap is filon. This is the material that bubbles,and delaminates.. It is trash! Stay with the caps...

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Thanks Mile High! But ... other than "looks", is there anything "functional" with this type of end camp that is missing or lacking from the "old school" style. In other words, are there any functional advantages to this type of end-cap?
No function, just looks, same as striping, gel coat, alloy wheels, etc.

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
I also went today and looked at a bighorn. They didn't have the floor plan we like but they could order it. It all comes down to what kind of deal they want to work for me. I'm already starting to Leary about even trading my motor home in. the reason I was looking at going back to a towable is because most of my camping is within 300 miles of home. I am only putting approx. 1300 miles a year on a 2006 diesel pusher. I know sitting isn't good for a motor home but in the end if the deal is not good enough, I will just keep the motor home and deal with what ever repairs I have to make from lack of use.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every square corner, front, rear, sides, top or bottom decreases mileage to some degree.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NJRVer wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Thanks Mile High! But ... other than "looks", is there anything "functional" with this type of end camp that is missing or lacking from the "old school" style. In other words, are there any functional advantages to this type of end-cap?

I think the rear caps help with mileage by changing the air currents vs a square back.

Not 100% sure of that, but I remember reading it somewhere.

Probably not enough to even register or notice...
The big trucks are also now adding skirting on the rear of the trailers , kinda shaped like a moulded rear cap but super sized.. I believe they are operated by a cable system? They say it's for aerodynamics ..
I like them because I like them... And they look nice to me and DW...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

I think the rear caps help with mileage by changing the air currents vs a square back.

Not 100% sure of that, but I remember reading it somewhere.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Brockinfla wrote:
Who really cares what the back of of a 5er looks like? It's there to hold a bumper and license plate.

Rear bumper? You mean the square thin wall sewer hose storage thing? Just another entry level looking item. No thanks, I will keep my rear cap. Chris

You gated Community guys are all the same.:B

Did MS let you delete the rear cap on your new trailer on order. :R :R :R

There were NO deletes on that order but there were 68 adds!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
The rear cap does look better and that was high on my list while looking at new ones. After searching for some time it became less of an issue because many of the ones I liked had no rear cap. Grand design said they had no plans to do the rear cap. I ended up with a 2015 Montanna Mountaineer. Other features became more important than the rear cap.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Would someone post a link or a photo of a camper with a "rear" cap like the OP is referring to? I'm really not sure what this is? I have probably seen them, but never paid any attention. I've never noticed any differences in rear camps.

If you ever walked behind yours, you've seen them.

"Flat back"

"Fiberglass rear cap"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Would someone post a link or a photo of a camper with a "rear" cap like the OP is referring to? I'm really not sure what this is? I have probably seen them, but never paid any attention. I've never noticed any differences in rear camps.