Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 MS36RSSB3 Review and Weight's update

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Updated 9/9/16

Purchased the MS36RSSB3 as some of you know and we've lived in the unit now for a little over two weeks and are loving it...No real high or low temps, but highs a few times at 90-92 degrees and high humidity and we've been "kept cool" quiet easily. Fit and trim are very good, appliances and furniture are very good, zero issues and the wife is loving the new convection/microwave. The washer and dryer are working perfectly as is our DTV auto satellite on the roof. The Onan LP 5500 penny is also very nice. Oh, the dishwasher is great and Kathy said it's easier to load and unload and offers more room than the one we had in our last 5er.

Also got weight's in August. First, of truck ready to hook up to the 5er with full tanks of DEF and diesel, the wife, myself sand two boxers and toolbox loaded as usual. Second is with 5er connected, fully loaded for full timing.

Truck specs: GVW= 14,000#
FAWR=6,000#
RAWR=9750#
GCWR=39,100#

Truck ready for hook-up:
Steer axle=5500#
Drive Axle=3940#
GW=9440#

Truck hooked to 5er:
Steer axle=5600#
drive axle-8800#
trailer axle=14,420#
GW= 28,220#

Still under trucks GVWR and well under RAWR and GCWR.

Truck towed the 5er easily through the mountains of NC, TN, VA and WV, transversing several 7% grades on I77 and I64. 5er with IS towed extremely well. (17.5" GY G114's aired to 125 psi per placard on 5er and per conversation with GY, towing a lot in the mountains, they too, recommended the same air pressure ratings.

I was concerned towing 2300# more with what I've read on some of the IBC's, but with truck in T/H, EB on aggressive , I had no issues with the brake controller going down these long 7% grades on the Interstates. IBC set on electric over hydraulic on "10", No issues, even the wife was impressed:)

Quite happy with the trucks performance and though we haven't been living in this unit but a little over 2 weeks, we're really happy with it..The size is perfect for us,, Cargo space far exceeding our expectations (basement and all the many cabinets):)

Will follow up after a little bit, but feel much better about our 5er purchase after "getting to know it better". I know DRV doesn't make it anymore and that seem's to be it's downfall to some...but after owning numerous 5er's for quite some time, including our 2006 HR Presidential Suite, which we loved and traded after 10 yrs of ownership, (and we thought it was totally awesome)...This one has been of the highest quality and has some really nice features.

Thought I'd update for anyone interested.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet
191 REPLIES 191

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The RV Armor roof has a lifetime, transferable material and labor warranty. I think you may have misunderstood - I was proposing that Thor pay to have RV Armor come to your location and install a roof rather than having to haul it back to Howe, Indiana. If I were in your shoes, I'd propose it to Camping World/Thor as a mutually agreeable solution, but I'm not in your shoes.

On Edit: Based on the post above that popped up while I was typing, Thor may play hardball on this, but if they aren't assuming the warranty obligation, who knows? I guess it depends on DRV's current warranty administrator.

Again, just a thought....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's your opinion of the RV Armor-type spray-on roofs? Our daughter and son-in-law had one installed on their Mobile Suites last year and are really happy with it. They will actually come to your location and install it - it's about a 3 day job. If you find it acceptable, it may wind up being a better option for your timetable and even for Thor's pocketbook than having to pay to return it to the factory, etc. It might be worth discussing with Thor as a reasonable compromise - again, IF you are comfortable with the technology.

I went through this with our 2015 Heartland Landmark. Under warranty our roof delaminated and both the wood decking and rubber roof had to be replaced. I tried to go the RV Armor roof replacement and was told Thor/Heartland would not warranty anything other than the original replacement. I was told if we wanted this option the cost would be on us with no warranty.

Jim,

I know how you are feeling right now as we went through this with our Landmark. We are full time and in a 23 month period we were out of our trailer for 6 weeks due to warranty work due to poor workmanship by Heartland. That trailer was the biggest POS we ever owned. We spent about ten days at a hotel that excepted pets on our dime while we were out of our trailer. We are lucky that my wife has family here and the other time we were out of it we were able to stay with them. It was very stressful on both of us.

We were lucky and got out of the Landmark while we still had good equity in it and got into the MS we now own. We have had a couple of issues but they were taken care of by DRV and our dealer. I know it is hard to do when you are full time but give your dealer and DRV a chance to make it right.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rusty, believe I'm going to see what Thor says first.... I hope it's sooner than later. I like your idea, but MS needs to payto fix this... 12 yr warranty on the roof and mine had a flaw from the "get go".

I'm hoping Caming World is all over Thor on this... Just waiting to hear something
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,

What's your opinion of the RV Armor-type spray-on roofs? Our daughter and son-in-law had one installed on their Mobile Suites last year and are really happy with it. They will actually come to your location and install it - it's about a 3 day job. If you find it acceptable, it may wind up being a better option for your timetable and even for Thor's pocketbook than having to pay to return it to the factory, etc. It might be worth discussing with Thor as a reasonable compromise - again, IF you are comfortable with the technology.

Just a thought....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Still waiting to hear something about my new Mobile Suites roof. The roof will need to be replaced.. Two Fantasa fans, two AC's and a satellite will have to be removed from the roof, new roof put down, everything put back, look like new, everything work and no leaks.. All on a unit I had for about a week... Don't think I like all this. We close on our house the 23rd of August with nowhere to go. Our MS, doesn't appear will be ready.. No stress the doctor says to me after my stroke, how does this not cause stress... I have no clue how to get info faster.

A brand new MS got to the customer with a major flaw in a brand new roof and the wife and I are in limbo at this time....

any chance CW would have a trailer on their lot that would be good enough for you during the time of repair. Not a great idea but you need help. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Get on VRBO (or Home Away if you're using your phone - same company) and find a condo you can rent until the trailer is fixed up. We've used it for vacations a bunch of times and it works slick, whether it's Hawaii, a city like San Francisco or a cabin in the Rocky Mountains.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Still waiting to hear something about my new Mobile Suites roof. The roof will need to be replaced.. Two Fantasa fans, two AC's and a satellite will have to be removed from the roof, new roof put down, everything put back, look like new, everything work and no leaks.. All on a unit I had for about a week... Don't think I like all this. We close on our house the 23rd of August with nowhere to go. Our MS, doesn't appear will be ready.. No stress the doctor says to me after my stroke, how does this not cause stress... I have no clue how to get info faster.

A brand new MS got to the customer with a major flaw in a brand new roof and the wife and I are in limbo at this time....
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Jim, that is something that can be fixed... Don't let it stress you. That's not what you need.. This just shows that there are no RV 's that are shielded from poor materials , bad workmanship , or just plain bad luck... It can happen at any price point ..

I hope That Pappa Bear Thor takes care of this in a Timely manor. . . .

You're right. Camping World jumped right on it and was sending pictures to Thor.. Will post on this as it progresses.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Jim, that is something that can be fixed... Don't let it stress you. That's not what you need.. This just shows that there are no RV 's that are shielded from poor materials , bad workmanship , or just plain bad luck... It can happen at any price point ..

I hope That Pappa Bear Thor takes care of this in a Timely manor. . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is a white rubber roof, not fiberglass..It's "crackled" looking....you can run your finger across it and feel the cracks..looks like a small section was exposed to a heat source, maybe an overhead heater??
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would assume it's a crack in the paint? I had a couple develop where the roof and cap connect.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Larry, I think it's a rubber roof...Camping World sending pictures to Thor.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Jim what material is your new used roof. Not something you would thing would happen but nothing is perfect as we all know. Someday all of this will be a memory for you folks but not for some new owners as it will just be the same.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
It came from the factory like this, No way it's happened since leaving the factory...Not sure how it'll be addressed. I never would have noticed until I climbed up the ladder and was a foot from this area..can't discern looking at it from the ground...affected is only about 14" long, made 5" high...Will see what we see. Camping World is my dealer, Thor is the manufacturer..Guess I learn more about both over the next couple of weeks.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

backlater
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like CW would have a check list when they receive a new unit from the factory, but that would be to much like thinking.

Is this a job you can trust with CW or will you have to go to the factory for a fix.

Praying all goes smooth for you, you've had enough **** lately

Jay