Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 MS36RSSB3 Review and Weight's update

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Updated 9/9/16

Purchased the MS36RSSB3 as some of you know and we've lived in the unit now for a little over two weeks and are loving it...No real high or low temps, but highs a few times at 90-92 degrees and high humidity and we've been "kept cool" quiet easily. Fit and trim are very good, appliances and furniture are very good, zero issues and the wife is loving the new convection/microwave. The washer and dryer are working perfectly as is our DTV auto satellite on the roof. The Onan LP 5500 penny is also very nice. Oh, the dishwasher is great and Kathy said it's easier to load and unload and offers more room than the one we had in our last 5er.

Also got weight's in August. First, of truck ready to hook up to the 5er with full tanks of DEF and diesel, the wife, myself sand two boxers and toolbox loaded as usual. Second is with 5er connected, fully loaded for full timing.

Truck specs: GVW= 14,000#
FAWR=6,000#
RAWR=9750#
GCWR=39,100#

Truck ready for hook-up:
Steer axle=5500#
Drive Axle=3940#
GW=9440#

Truck hooked to 5er:
Steer axle=5600#
drive axle-8800#
trailer axle=14,420#
GW= 28,220#

Still under trucks GVWR and well under RAWR and GCWR.

Truck towed the 5er easily through the mountains of NC, TN, VA and WV, transversing several 7% grades on I77 and I64. 5er with IS towed extremely well. (17.5" GY G114's aired to 125 psi per placard on 5er and per conversation with GY, towing a lot in the mountains, they too, recommended the same air pressure ratings.

I was concerned towing 2300# more with what I've read on some of the IBC's, but with truck in T/H, EB on aggressive , I had no issues with the brake controller going down these long 7% grades on the Interstates. IBC set on electric over hydraulic on "10", No issues, even the wife was impressed:)

Quite happy with the trucks performance and though we haven't been living in this unit but a little over 2 weeks, we're really happy with it..The size is perfect for us,, Cargo space far exceeding our expectations (basement and all the many cabinets):)

Will follow up after a little bit, but feel much better about our 5er purchase after "getting to know it better". I know DRV doesn't make it anymore and that seem's to be it's downfall to some...but after owning numerous 5er's for quite some time, including our 2006 HR Presidential Suite, which we loved and traded after 10 yrs of ownership, (and we thought it was totally awesome)...This one has been of the highest quality and has some really nice features.

Thought I'd update for anyone interested.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet
191 REPLIES 191

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
And I'm an Engineer??. Actually knew that, but got ahead of myself. I'm almost 1,000# under my trucks RAWR. The front of the 5er was Pretty well loaded, as we're packed for full timing. The bedroom and closet are also "well packed". Truck towed smoothly. No chucking, yanking.. and stayed at speed quiet easily. I feel this 5er was a great fit for my truck:)

Jim

Also it's nice to have the truck sit like this with 8,800# or 9,880# with the rear air ride.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
And I'm an Engineer??. Actually knew that, but got ahead of myself. I'm almost 1,000# under my trucks RAWR. The front of the 5er was Pretty well loaded, as we're packed for full timing. The bedroom and closet are also "well packed". Truck towed smoothly. No chucking, yanking.. and stayed at speed quiet easily. I feel this 5er was a great fit for my truck:)

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Truck hooked to 5er:
Steer axle=5600#
drive axle-8800#
trailer axle=14,420#
GW= 28,220#

Still under trucks GVWR and well under RAWR and GCWR. "

By my math your trucks loaded GVW is 14,400#. But as I have said many times that's just a number to keep within class 3 for licensing and insurance purposes.

Looks like you need to load that basement and under the bed to get a little load on that rear truck axle!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Entered a short review and gave weights in a edit on my first post..

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
wvcampers wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
wvcampers wrote:
I haven' said much but I follow your posts all the time. So from a fellow West Virginian, it's your time to live life in the slow lane, like a good hillbilly should. Glad everything is looking better for you.

Alright, a fellow Mountaineer/Hillbilly:B...Maybe we'll meet up somewhere in the Mountain State.

Jim

Anytime. just let me know.

Will do:)

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
wvcampers wrote:
I haven' said much but I follow your posts all the time. So from a fellow West Virginian, it's your time to live life in the slow lane, like a good hillbilly should. Glad everything is looking better for you.

Alright, a fellow Mountaineer/Hillbilly:B...Maybe we'll meet up somewhere in the Mountain State.

Jim

Anytime. just let me know.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
One issue that has finally been taken care of, though it took a week, was the weird issue when I called Thor about the roof issue, and after giving them the VIN#, they told me the unit was in another name!:E. I called camping world and spoke to a couple of people, BUT this wasn't addressed until late last week. No warranty work was done until the ownership thing could be cleared up!!! All that to say, it appears my punch list hasn't been touched, and I may not get my unit back until NEXT week!!

This stupid error was NOT A CW caused issue, Thor caused the error and CW got it fixed... Just don't understand why it took a week to address:h.

I told Camping World to PLEASE address all items on the punch list and please get rid of all the water spots left on the unit when I Picked it up!! I wore myself out for HOURS trying to wipe them off the unit. Yeah, even I missed some things on PDI, though I mentioned several not addressed.

Don't want to pick unit up UNTIL ALL items are fixed and roof looks normal. Got to be sooner than later, we close on our house in two weeks and MS still needs to be loaded.

Jim

Don't fret it! Simply tell them on a certain date you will be coming to pick up your unit and tame it to your home where you will load it in a leisurely manner. THEN you will be back to their facility to let the punch list continue all the while connected to their water power and sewer. If no sewer they will provide a POOP truck pump every 5 days.

THAT may get them motivated.

When we were at DRV for punch list items we stayed on their RV area and they came every morning at 6am and took our rig in the shop and returned it at 2pm. Of course we went sight seeing and shopping at Shipshewanna.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
One issue that has finally been taken care of, though it took a week, was the weird issue when I called Thor about the roof issue, and after giving them the VIN#, they told me the unit was in another name!:E. I called camping world and spoke to a couple of people, BUT this wasn't addressed until late last week. No warranty work was done until the ownership thing could be cleared up!!! All that to say, it appears my punch list hasn't been touched, and I may not get my unit back until NEXT week!!

This stupid error was NOT A CW caused issue, Thor caused the error and CW got it fixed... Just don't understand why it took a week to address:h.

I told Camping World to PLEASE address all items on the punch list and please get rid of all the water spots left on the unit when I Picked it up!! I wore myself out for HOURS trying to wipe them off the unit. Yeah, even I missed some things on PDI, though I mentioned several not addressed.

Don't want to pick unit up UNTIL ALL items are fixed and roof looks normal. Got to be sooner than later, we close on our house in two weeks and MS still needs to be loaded.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Man I just love the Auto Sat Dish!!! ^^^^^

yep, and of course the wide hips Ron:B

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
I am just thrilled to hear the latest turn of events here.

Now get packing and get going!

All the best to you!

As soon as we have the closing on our house, (slated for the 23rd of his month..We're outta here:B

Thanks buddy,
Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
gsbrockman wrote:
Hey Jim....does that fancy satellite dish just pop up and aim itself???

Jim,
That camper looks like a jewel... Enjoy it along with your family.

Thanks Troy, appreciate it buddy.

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
wvcampers wrote:

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, just let me when you are around. I will try my best to show up.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
Great news, Jim !!!
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)