cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 or 5 on tire replacement

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
On our last vacation we had 2 of our BF Goodrich Commercial TA's go bad. They were about 3.5 years old. I was in Les Schwab territory and all they had was Toyo's so I bought 2. I'm ready to finish the process but I curious about the spare. Is the norm to buy 5 new and hopefully the spare never hits the ground or can I get away with putting a much cheaper tire on the spare.

Thanks Ray

2005 Montana Mountaineer 29RKB
23 REPLIES 23

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got around to checking the date codes on my old Goodrich's
and was totally surprised that the tires were from late 20008. I didn't realize they were that old.

Hopefully I will never need it but I new tire is going on the spare too.

Thanks for all the input, it was really interesting to see so many different ways there were to solve the same problem by some very seasoned veterans of the RV highways.

Again Thanks to all

Ray

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I did what a lot of people do, when I got my previous set of tires I kept "the best" of my old ones as a spare.
Well, a few weeks ago I got a flat in the middle of the Mojave and had to put the old,half worn tire on. I had a very nervous drive, 150 miles to Vegas, it was dark when I got there.
Next day I got 5 new tires, better to be safe than sorry.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jackandh2o wrote:
Charlie D, Toyo Open Country H/T's. I had to buy 2 in Idaho and Les Schwab was the only one in town and that's what they sale. I would like for all 4 to be the same.

Ray

That tire has a lot of siping to be considered a really good choice for trailer service. Sorta like the Michelin M&S2, to much siping. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D, Toyo Open Country H/T's. I had to buy 2 in Idaho and Les Schwab was the only one in town and that's what they sale. I would like for all 4 to be the same.

Ray

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Ray-What tires are you considering?
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

jimandlaurie
Explorer
Explorer
We do all 5 and rotate them .
2013 Chevy 3500HD Duramax
Nomad 25 Lite
25 C-Dory Cruiser
2 Shiba Inu travel dogs

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D, 2.35x85x16.

Ray

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Ray-What size are the tires????
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

jackandh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help from all of you. I'm going to check the serial numbers and get back to you.

Ray

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Truck or camper? I'm interested in the size. I have LT BFG 225/75R16 Commercial T/A's. One threw a tread and another has a busted belt. I contacted BFG but they said they would not warranty because I misapplied them by putting them on a trailer. I purchased and replaced 5 ST tires with the BFG;s because I went up a size. Otherwise I would have purchased 4. Going to Firestone TransForce and I will buy 4. The new BFG tire I bought after a blow month ago will serve as a spare. I previously had 2 of my tires on my truck recalled last year. Search under BFG to find recalled tires.

See the thread I opened a couple of days ago and still open.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
jackandh2o wrote:
On our last vacation we had 2 of our BF Goodrich Commercial TA's go bad. They were about 3.5 years old. I was in Les Schwab territory and all they had was Toyo's so I bought 2. I'm ready to finish the process but I curious about the spare. Is the norm to buy 5 new and hopefully the spare never hits the ground or can I get away with putting a much cheaper tire on the spare.

Thanks Ray

Ray, check and see if your tires your BFG TA's are in the series that was under recall. I had TA's that were and they replaced all 4 under warranty and put on Michelin XPS at no charge. Michelin owns BFG and I believe Bridgestone. Good Luck
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I spent the money on the best 4 on the ground .
That means an LT tire not an ST .
in the 15 inch the clear choice is the Goodyear G26 Cargo in a size
225/70R15c LOAD RANGE D .
placarded for 2450 # on an LT scale .
Do a search for the data by placing G26 I the search box above .
In 16 inch tires there are many choices .
The highest weight rating posted on the sidewall is more important than the brand .
The Bridgestone Duravis ( R250 and R500 ) are heavier than the cheaper Bridgestones and many of the name brands .
If you have room for LT265/75R16 load range E you can get 3415 # rating and the choices are myriad .
My spare has never seen the ground .
I removed the spare from my boat trailer after switching to the Kumho 857 size 205R14 , rated 2271 # on the LT scale .
I upgraded about 45 % with that change .
By adding another 25 % - 45 % of load rating I have reduced my tire issues to zero for my TT and my boat trailer ..

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think I have ever bought 5 tires. The first new set of tires would be 4, and the original spare stays where it is. The second new set of tires, the spare gets replaced with the best of the used tires, assuming age dictates.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jackandh2o wrote:

Thanks Ray

Personally, I'd buy a cheap steel wheel (double-check the offset) and put one Toyo on the existing spare and the other one on the new wheel, then buy 4 new, matching, tires for the road.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member