cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 season rv recommendations

TnTtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I are considering trading in our Everest fiver as retirement is soon approaching and we're considering heading out on the open road, indefinitely. Not sure what the future holds but we're looking for a 4 season fifth wheel trailer to live at least 6 months per year in, maybe more. Looking around I've seen a few models where they claim to be 4 season rigs but some were pretty out of touch for my investment potential. A couple of more affordable units that I found that claimed to be 4 season were Montana and Jayco North Point. Can I trust that these are truly worthy of the 4 season classification? Are there some makes out there that claim to be but really don't fit the bill? Any suggestions? I'm anxious to hear everyone's experience and input and thank you all in advance.
Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers;)
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system
30 REPLIES 30

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
"4 Season" is a marketing term the same as "Ultralight", "Lightweight", "Amish Craftsmanship", "Quality and Value", "Azdel", etc.....etc.....etc.

You can only ever get X amount of insulation value from 1/4" coroplast, 2" thick walls, and 4" thick roofs no matter what you stuff into them or print on glossy brochures and put up on websites.
I agree. There is no industry standard for the term 4 seasons. Often it may not be anything more than a decal. You can stay warm in a tent if you can afford the propane.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
miltvill wrote:
I would like a 4 season RV not for camping in the cold but for camping in the hot summer heat. Also the larger the RV the harder it will be to heat and cool.

x2

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like a 4 season RV not for camping in the cold but for camping in the hot summer heat. Also the larger the RV the harder it will be to heat and cool.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Runaway
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed in our Jayco Eagle Premier for two years. Stayed near Devils Tower, WY till Thanksgiving each year before wandering south. We would stay south till late March and head back to WY and arrive back in Northern WI around the 1st of April. We saw some cold weather, temps down to 0 degrees at night and everything stayed fluid without any special insulating procedures except to put 14' foam rubber pads in the roof vent openings to reduce heat loss thru the plastic vents. Trailer stayed warm 72 degrees and furnace would kick on every 15 - 20 min at the colder temps. We used 2 30lb bottles of LP every 5 - 6 days unless the wind was blowing. Thankfully we didn't have long stretches of the colder weather. Would I want to stay in the trailer thru a winter of that kind of weather - NO!

The Jayco Northpoint replaced the Eagle Premier.
"18" 3500HD Silverado LTZ Dmax/Ally, CC/SB/4x4
"14" Jayco 331 RETS

Retired USAF

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in our 5er for two winters, saw a few mornings colder than a -30 F....
But, certainly not weeks of that. That would be a true test for any “box stock” RV....without any special modifications/improvements made
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bierp wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Where I am it gets to -37 c (-34 f) for weeks at a time.

Great googly moogly! That's not one of the four seasons! Just reading that made me hurt!

That's the little talked-about 5th season that falls between winter - Part A and winter Part-B

TnTtravelers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all of your input. I value and appreciate each of your ideas, experiences and suggestions.
Tim and Tina (kudo too)
Livin' good, while the livin's good!

2005 Ford F350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short box
2007 Everest 295TS 5th Wheel, Superglide hitch
JT Stabilizers;)
Firestone Air Suspension System
TST tire pressure mntr system

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Triple E used to do Class A, Class C, 5th wheels and travel trailers.

I think they now only do a Class B

When we started looking for our Class C, Triple E was on our (very) short list!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Triple E used to do Class A, Class C, 5th wheels and travel trailers.

I think they now only do a Class B
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Johnnybgood wrote:
If I may add my 2 cents worth. The wife and I purchased a 2007 Triple E fifth wheel that is considered a 4 season rv. So far even in 95+ degree weather we only need one of the. Two air conditioners to stay cool. Haven’t had it in the cold yet but that is coming. They are well known for thier build quality. Good luck in your hunt.

They are supposed to build a good quality Class C, also! Though....I didn’t know that they built 5’ers!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Northwoods RV, the Arctic Fox line is a true 4 season unit.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
If I may add my 2 cents worth. The wife and I purchased a 2007 Triple E fifth wheel that is considered a 4 season rv. So far even in 95+ degree weather we only need one of the. Two air conditioners to stay cool. Haven’t had it in the cold yet but that is coming. They are well known for thier build quality. Good luck in your hunt.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi lee,

As I seem to be addicted to some things (such as having a roof over my head and food to eat) it is necessary for me to work. My work is centered around Regina, SK. Until that changes--well I must endure.

There is a great thread under the full time forum on winter camping. I've contributed a few (successful) ideas there that have had real life testing. The nicest one from a comfort point of view is electric heated carpets.

lee worsdell wrote:
who would want to full time and live in regina lol iam in Ontario and I want to get out dodge here in the winter. Head south where its warm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Now that is pretty much unavoidable ,we live on the Washington Coast and it rains HARD in the fall and winter and yes you can hear the rain on the roof and just like memtb we do not mind it at all it just puts us to sleep:) now having Toppers on my slides in high wind now THAT sucks: the noise is unbearable and even our Cats wake up run for cover as they sound like a Sonic Boom going off and will not get them again living here on the Coast (
memtb wrote:
justme wrote:
Lots of good advice. My question is: Are there any trailers that don't sound like a drum when its raining?

While we can certainly hear the rain on the roof, it’s not offensive! At least not to us....however, we like to hear a little rain on the roof!
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner