Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

40 or 45 ft 5fer, any difference

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are contemplating 2 fifth wheels, one 45ft which we like best, another a 40 footer. My research indicates that towing either one is about the same. I am struggling with the campground challenges.

We pre-book everything so we are comfortable with the site length. We move sites every 2 weeks all summer. I am a bit uncomfortable with access to the site and entry to it. Would you need that much more driveway width to back in a 45footer towed with a Ram 3500 dually 8ft bed?

Any feedback is appreciated.

MC
20 REPLIES 20

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our rig is 42' towed with a Silverado dually CC LB. I'm getting to the age where a smaller rig would be more attractive but in the years I've hauled it we haven't had problems staying at private parks and fueling at truck stops. I would never attempt a state or provincial park but if the private parks you stay at has pull-through spots you san be sure that access is good for those sites (but not necessarily all sites in the park).

We had decided that we were going to leave our 5er in Florida and just use a 16' cargo trailer for our motorcycles and other stuff. But March 2020 made us rush home and I didn't want to stay in motels and eat in restaurants so we got a new set of (6) tires and came home in the 5er. I hope to go back this winter and find a place we can leave our 5er 12 months of the year. The cargo trailer is still down there waiting for us.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much difference being just a few feet, either way you will be restricted primarily to private parks and newer federal and state parks that have sites for longer rigs. We have always had long RVing combos whether with towable RVs or with our current 40' class A and toad, we have always managed to find places to stay and refuel.

Just pick the rig that suits your situation best, there are no perfect RVs as every floorplan can be improved and or modified depending on your viewpoint. As for RV manufacturers, they all put out crappy products no matter the price point or branding, I always make improvements to any of the rigs we have had in the past 30+ years of RVing anyway.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
No real difference backing. If you want the LONG RV get it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
You will not see that much difference between the two. We went from a 40 foot dp Class A to the rig in my sig. I do not have any problem fueling or with site restrictions due to length. Our class A had a Toyota Highlander as the dinghy too. Granted you will not be able to stop at a lot of Mom and Pop fueling stations but that has never been a problem for us either.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
At that size, you are looking at private campgrounds with large sites regardless. I doubt you will notice much difference getting in and out of sites.

As mentioned, once on the road, there isn't much difference between a 20ft and a 45ft 5er (a little but not a lot)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Moving down the highway, length is not a problem. The challenge is fueling (have to stick to truck stops or a very open stations), entrance roads to rv parks and maneuvering within the rv park. My rig is 42โ€™ and pulling with a SRW CC short box Ram 3500. So I have a decent radius. My problem is I have nearly 16โ€ of rear overhang. Tail swing on my rig is horrendous, as is many of the larger rigs in this size range. Even though I realize it is present, it has still bitten me in the @ss three times now.

So, look for the shortest rear over hang as possible no matter how long you are. If I could do it over again, I would look in the 10-12 overhang area. Even a 53โ€™ box van big rig only has about 10โ€™ of overhang with about a 72โ€™ overall length. King pin to rear axle length is also a consideration. The longer that measurement is, the more room you need to turn that combo.

Larger rigs are challenging to say the least, and some rv parks are a bit unforgiving. I drive a 63โ€™ transfer truck for a living and donโ€™t have as much trouble with it as I do my 57โ€™ of rv and truck.

Good luck on your quest. And safe travels.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™