cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5.9 Cummins Diesel Towing capacity

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking very seriously at a 5vr that total GVWR is 15,000 pounds.
My dodge dually is 2001 dually. JUst had the tranny completely rebuilt and it has been chipped. Not sure about being able to pull such a load over a mountain pass. Please advise asap???
Thanks so much
38 REPLIES 38

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Oh yeah, 4.10's make towing something that heavy, much easier. My truck has the 3.55 and you can definitely feel it in the mountains.

If I could have ran mine a little harder in the mountains the 99 7.3 Powerstroke would of done okay , but yes the ETGโ€™s held me back. I did a lot to the 7.3 , exhaust , tuner , bigger intercooler , and air intake . The power was there but couldnโ€™t use it . Got tired of 35-40 mph in second gear on some of the steep grades towing my fifth wheel . That all went away with this 6.7 Cummins

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh yeah, 4.10's make towing something that heavy, much easier. My truck has the 3.55 and you can definitely feel it in the mountains.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 2nd gen RAMโ€™s were very under rated. Throw a set of bags on it and have truck level when loaded. 4.10โ€™s would be nice!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Cummins will have no issues towing that kind of weight however the weak link is the 47RE auto tranny. The 47RE can be rebuilt to stand up to heavy towing duties. Now if the tranny is the 5 speed manual NV4500 or the 6 speed manual NV5600 then no problems.
You have the truck so like all truckers drop by a set of scales and get the trucks front and rear separate empty axle weights. That way you know how much payload the truck can carry.

On my 2001 all the door tag had was GVWR....FAWR...RAWR numbers. No payload numbers on the older trucks....eliminates confusion.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pull a 15,000 lb. toyhauler with my 2001 Dodge Cummins dually. It has higher HP injectors and a chip. It pulls just fine as long as I keep an eye on the EGT gauge, and don't overdo it.

I've been over quite a few passes, and sections of 6% grade. The truck has the power to pull at speed, but the EGT will go through the roof. It will tow easily at 70 mph, and 75 mph if the cruise isn't set, no issues, on flat to rolling highway of course. I do have the 6-speed manual so that may make a difference.

As for carrying capacity, the specs show the rear axle is rated for 7500 lbs., and my last trip to the scales showed 6300 lbs. on the drive axle. So provided you're not carrying a ton of stuff you should be okay. Be aware you will be over the GCVWR of 21,000 lbs. I'm at 23,000 lbs.

FWIW the GVWR for my toyhauler is 18,000 lbs., and I'm at 15,000 lbs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
look inside your driver's side door frame for stickers with your load capacities
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder, on this forum is towing a triple axle heavy toy hauler with similar year truck 5.9 diesel, with no issue I've heard of. Maybe he will chime in.

Jerry

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
You probably don't have the rear axle capacity to carry that pin weight, even with a dually (2001).

The engine will handle it fine. Maybe not at 70mph, but at any reasonable speed.

How do I find out ???

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't have the rear axle capacity to carry that pin weight, even with a dually (2001).

The engine will handle it fine. Maybe not at 70mph, but at any reasonable speed.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"