cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp to 30 amp dogbone

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a small 5th wheel with a 50 amp service. I have no need for the 50 power, and would like to just connect to a 30 amp cable. Does anyone make a 50 amp female connector to the trailer with 30 amp male end.
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
When I had a 30a FW, I got a 50 to 30 dogbone so I could use the 50a plug at campgrounds. They were generally tighter and much less prone to tripping. My current FW is 50a but only had 1 A/C until a couple months ago. I =always= use the 50a plug unless there is't one available. Dogbones are the way to go; don't take up much room and a lot cheaper and easier than futzing about with changing plug ends or buying new cords.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
just get the 50amp to 30amp adapter, don't modify anything and risk doing it wrong or lowering the resale value later.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Progressive Industries electrical management box which hangs down from the pedestal and is kind of heavy (probably because I have a security chain on it too). I find the 30 amp pedestal receptacles are generally worn and the 3 wire connectors allow the EMS box to fall off. I use a 50 to 30 dogbone which stays securely in the pedestal. I have a 30 amp main disconnect in the trailer so I am not overloading my 30 amp power cord.

I believe carrying the adapter to be almost mandatory.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The 30 amp power cord with a 50 amp female and 30 male is the way to go. Much lighter and much easier to handle in cold weather. We carried both and normally used our 50 amp cable, but used the 30 amp cable if park only had 30 amp service.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
i did the same thing. we only have one a/c so the need to have the 50 amp all the time isn't necessary. Exception; we have tripped the main breaker at the park post when running a/c and water heater. of course just turn the water heater off.
we also have a transfer switch installed and use a Honda EU3000IS generator. Haven't had an issue other than the need to isolate a/c when turning it on.
as far as the cord, Yeah, Amazon is a good place to check and sure beats hauling the large 50 amp cord all over the country.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
doughere wrote:
Just purchased a small 5th wheel with a 50 amp service. I have no need for the 50 power, and would like to just connect to a 30 amp cable. Does anyone make a 50 amp female connector to the trailer with 30 amp male end.
Does the trailer have a detachable cord? Can get a 30 amp to replace it like this: https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14435-Power-30-Amp-Locking/dp/B00269HEKM?th=1

Otherwise Amazon adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Adapter-Dogbone-Electrical-Handle/dp/B07G58NSDK

Shop around

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Options: 30/50 pigtail adapter widely available.
Put a 50A female plug on a 30A cord. Lighest weight option.
Put a 30A male plug on the 50A cord.

In all 3 cases the 2 hot 50A wires are connected to the 30A hot wire.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob