cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er Tires

bigpond
Explorer
Explorer
My 03 Kountry Star has the terrific G-rated 16" tires. Now almost 14 years old and still looking good, I'm considering replacing them.
I've read a lot about Chinese made goodyears and the lack of good options.
I need advice. I don't really want to go up to 17.5" wheels/tires. Any thoughts?
2003 33KSFB Kountry Star Fifth-Wheel
2003 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW 4X4 Duramax
Tom/Ru/Louie (Lucky dog)
30 REPLIES 30

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
For all the people who ask me about the GY G614.The original tire which come with the FW was a 2005 GY G614.2 of them blow up.I replace them with GY G614 made in 2007 one of them blow up.So I decide to change them with Michelin RIB AND AFTER 2 years one blow up that the story of my tire.Now I got the Sailun.

That was what I was asking about I guess...I don't think I'd replace a G rated tire that came on a 5er with 7,000# rated axles and put "E" rated tires on in place of the G rated tires, just doesn't seem safe...and now you're back to a G rated tire...should be ok
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
For all the people who ask me about the GY G614.The original tire which come with the FW was a 2005 GY G614.2 of them blow up.I replace them with GY G614 made in 2007 one of them blow up.So I decide to change them with Michelin RIB AND AFTER 2 years one blow up that the story of my tire.Now I got the Sailun.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rusty I'm not even going to put a monitoring system on the new MS on order since I have complete confidence in the GH H tires. I have a set that has been from NW WA to SoCal many times and back along with a trip to Oklahoma and back traveling at 75 to order our new MS all without the tires getting more than warm. They are 2.5 years old and still look new.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
Isn't that like saying you would never buy another Verizon cell phone because the bag phone you had one time was junk?

In my case, I have Goodyear 17.5" G114 tires on the new 5th wheel because that's what it came with. Am I changing them out? No, not until they give me a reason to do so. Am I somewhat concerned about their reliability? Well, yes, given my history of failures with Goodyear tires. Time will tell, as only time and reliable service will rebuild confidence.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't we sum this whole thing up by safely saying that folks that used to use Goodyear "G" rated tires 7 to.....I don't know, maybe 15 years ago had some issues so now they won't buy them. Then you have tons of folks in the last 5 - 6 years that are putting millions of miles on G614's with zero issues?

Isn't that like saying you would never buy another Verizon cell phone because the bag phone you had one time was junk?
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
G-614 tires were not made 14 years ago. G-159 was replaced with the G-614 tires around 2003 as I remember because we replaced our 159'safter they were 5 years old. Our alpenlite was built in Late March of 2001.

chevman
I must have missed where someone was talking about 14 year old G-614 tires. Perhaps you misunderstood the OP opening post:

"My 03 Kountry Star has the terrific G-rated 16" tires. Now almost 14 years old and still looking good, I'm considering replacing them."

Did you misread that as G-614? I couldn't find where he said he had Goodyear G614 tires that were 14 years old.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Just misread your post I guess.I got the impression you replaced OEM GY G614's with RIBS..from reading all the failures, guess I got turned around, It's "old timers" for me at almost 65... I apologize, I'm human, I misread your post, mark it off to my stupidity.

No problem. I'm probably more afflicted by "old-timers" and "CRS" than you since you're just a young'un - I'm 67.

Rusty

We're close enough to understand each other:)...or be more confused:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Just misread your post I guess.I got the impression you replaced OEM GY G614's with RIBS..from reading all the failures, guess I got turned around, It's "old timers" for me at almost 65... I apologize, I'm human, I misread your post, mark it off to my stupidity.

No problem. I'm probably more afflicted by "old-timers" and "CRS" than you since you're just a young'un - I'm 67.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Well, good luck....So did you replace a G rated tire that was on a 7,000# axle with an E rated tire that normally would set under a 6,000# axle? If so, you were most fortunate that they held up....

....sounds like the older tires came back to bite you BIG TIME....

Where in the world did you come up with that?? The 2000 Jayco had 6000 lb axles equipped with GY Wrangler HTs (no failures on them). The LRE Wrangler HTs were replaced with LRE XPS Ribs. The 2004 DRV had 7000 lb axles with G rated G614s (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG). These were replaced with J rated 17.5 Michelin XTAs (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG). I never replaced a tire with a replacement tire that was rated less than OEM or wouldn't meet the GAWR requirements.

As far as tire age, the Marathons were 3 years old when they failed, as were the G614s.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Well, good luck....So did you replace a G rated tire that was on a 7,000# axle with an E rated tire that normally would set under a 6,000# axle? If so, you were most fortunate that they held up....

Where in the world did you come up with that?? The 2000 Jayco had 6000 lb axles equipped with GY Wrangler HTs (no failures on them). The LRE Wrangler HTs were replaced with LRE XPS Ribs. The 2004 DRV had 7000 lb axles with G rated G614s (3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG). These were replaced with J rated 17.5 Michelin XTAs (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG). I never replaced a tire with a replacement tire that was rated less than OEM or wouldn't meet the GAWR requirements.

As far as tire age, the Marathons were 3 years old when they failed, as were the G614s.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
RustyJC wrote:

As the old saying goes, YMMV. Every RV tire failure I've ever had has been on Goodyear tires. Marathons on my 1996 Jayco Designer 3030RKSS - tread separation in 1999 with >$2000 damage. G614 RSTs on my 2004 DRV Mobile Suites 36RE3 - 2 failed with tread separations in 2007, the second with >$2500 damage. I've replaced Goodyears with Michelins (XPS Rib on 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS, XTAs on 2004 MS 36RE3) and never had a hint of a problem with the Michelins.

Our current 2014.5 Mobile Suites came with the Goodyear G114s. With my track record with Goodyears, I invested in a TST 507 TPMS and have my fingers and toes crossed.....

Rusty

I've owned a pile of RV's since 75', and I've only had one tire failure, it was on sig. 5er with a GY G614 (a tire manufactured 3610), tire was almost 4 yrs old...it lost it's tread...Took 5er to a Wingfoot and GY offered to repair any damage to my 5er, (minimal, didn't waste my time with that one), AND they mounted and balanced FOUR brand new G614 tires AND pointed out to me a weak spring pack on the side that took the tread off...When new tire was put on, I only had 1" of height from top of tire to wheel well, but they still replaced all four tires FREE.. Needless to say, I took my time getting to a place that put a new spring pack on and with new spring pack on, distance from wheel well to top of tire went to almost 4"....GY could have said, sorry, it's on you...but they didn't...I'll give them that, but through all the years I've been towing, the above account is the ONLY time I've ever had a tire issue, and a lot of those tires were GY's.

Sounds like you've had a life time of tire failures...Good luck with the new 5er and tires.

Nope, not really considering how many miles I've put on the various RVs. Just the luck of the draw, I guess. The 1996 was equipped with GY Marathons when the Marathons were having delamination problems (besides the 1 that failed, the other 3 were inspected by GY and replaced as they were showing signs of tread separation). The 2004 was equipped with the early GY G614s - enough said!! After the 2nd G614 failure, GY replaced the remaining tires as well. I checked tire pressures on all of the tires that failed the morning before we set out - all failures were within 3 hours of hitting the road, 1 was 15 miles from the campground (a Marathon), and 1 was probably 40 miles from the campground (a G614).

Yes, GY stepped up and replaced the tires as well as repaired the 5th wheels after the failures, but I'd personally prefer to have tires that don't fail - that's why I switched to the Michelins that gave years and many miles of trouble-free service. I'm giving GY another chance with the G114s - we'll see....

Rusty

Well, good luck....So did you replace a G rated tire that was on a 7,000# axle with an E rated tire that normally would set under a 6,000# axle? If so, you were most fortunate that they held up....When I first purchased my 5er it had the G614's on it and 5er I sold had almost new RIBS on it...I was going to swap out, but when I found out the axles were rated for more weight and tires were G rated...I didn't go down in tire weight rating...

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
RustyJC wrote:

As the old saying goes, YMMV. Every RV tire failure I've ever had has been on Goodyear tires. Marathons on my 1996 Jayco Designer 3030RKSS - tread separation in 1999 with >$2000 damage. G614 RSTs on my 2004 DRV Mobile Suites 36RE3 - 2 failed with tread separations in 2007, the second with >$2500 damage. I've replaced Goodyears with Michelins (XPS Rib on 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS, XTAs on 2004 MS 36RE3) and never had a hint of a problem with the Michelins.

Our current 2014.5 Mobile Suites came with the Goodyear G114s. With my track record with Goodyears, I invested in a TST 507 TPMS and have my fingers and toes crossed.....

Rusty

I've owned a pile of RV's since 75', and I've only had one tire failure, it was on sig. 5er with a GY G614 (a tire manufactured 3610), tire was almost 4 yrs old...it lost it's tread...Took 5er to a Wingfoot and GY offered to repair any damage to my 5er, (minimal, didn't waste my time with that one), AND they mounted and balanced FOUR brand new G614 tires AND pointed out to me a weak spring pack on the side that took the tread off...When new tire was put on, I only had 1" of height from top of tire to wheel well, but they still replaced all four tires FREE.. Needless to say, I took my time getting to a place that put a new spring pack on and with new spring pack on, distance from wheel well to top of tire went to almost 4"....GY could have said, sorry, it's on you...but they didn't...I'll give them that, but through all the years I've been towing, the above account is the ONLY time I've ever had a tire issue, and a lot of those tires were GY's.

Sounds like you've had a life time of tire failures...Good luck with the new 5er and tires.

Nope, not really considering how many miles I've put on the various RVs. Just the luck of the draw, I guess. The 1996 was equipped with GY Marathons when the Marathons were having delamination problems (besides the 1 that failed, the other 3 were inspected by GY and replaced as they were showing signs of tread separation). The 2004 was equipped with the early GY G614s - enough said!! After the 2nd G614 failure, GY replaced the remaining tires as well. I checked tire pressures on all of the tires that failed the morning before we set out - all failures were within 3 hours of hitting the road, 1 was 15 miles from the campground (a Marathon), and 1 was probably 40 miles from the campground (a G614).

Yes, GY stepped up and replaced the tires as well as repaired the 5th wheels after the failures, but I'd personally prefer to have tires that don't fail - that's why I switched to the Michelins that gave years and many miles of trouble-free service. I'm giving GY another chance with the G114s - we'll see....

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
G-614 tires were not made 14 years ago. G-159 was replaced with the G-614 tires around 2003 as I remember because we replaced our 159'safter they were 5 years old. Our alpenlite was built in Late March of 2001.

chevman

Good call Larry! It's the internet, just throw what one wants out there and see if it sticks or stinks!!!!

Chris

it'll probably do both:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
X2 Cummins12V98. G614's for me regardless of the price. I don't cut corners on tires regardless. My life is worth more to me than a few dollars saved on tires.

Totally agree! Have had 4 sets of GY tires one E two G and one H all US Made. Not even a flat!

New MS on order will also have GY H tires. I will run those 6-8 years.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet