cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5TH Wheel Bike and Generator Rack

Victor12
Explorer
Explorer
Hi , We have a fifth wheel and are planning on going on the road for a year. We would like to carry a generator and two bikes . Does anyone know of a good rack that would carry both from the receiver on the back of the trailer.
8 REPLIES 8

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding the comment questioning the mention of good and bad bike on the back. I don't think that the folks doing that do it regarding the price of the bike, I think the main consideration is the amount of dirt, dust and mud that gets drawn in by the flat backside of the trailer. Most people the I know that have expensive bikes find another place to carry them rather than the rear of the trailer. I know I would but would not hesitate to put a cheap, or beater bike back there that was used mostly for getting around the campground or running local errands.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting comments ... not sure why you would discriminate between good bikes or bad bikes riding on the rear of your trailer. My concern if they came off would be damage or injury to anyone following rather than the cost of the bikes but that's just me.

Originally I had a Yakima roof rack on the truck which I really loved but got a little tired of getting the bikes on and off.

We have carried our bikes on the rear of our 5th wheels for the last 7 years without issue. Considerations are the load capacity and construction of the hitch receiver and the quality of the bike rack. On my previous Cougar, I had a local welding shop reinforce the entire receiver as it was **** from the manufacturer but when done correctly works fine.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Put the bikes on a pin box receiver, out of the way and safe! Doesnโ€™t add to overall length, doesnโ€™t block headlights or turn signals.
Generator I carry in the front compartment, could also be placed in TV bed, even with good supession and shocks on the 5er too much weight hanging off the rear.

I've also seen the generator mounted on the pin box. Other than needing a step stool to fill the fuel (or get a small fuel pump), seems like a great location.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Put the bikes on a pin box receiver, out of the way and safe! Doesnโ€™t add to overall length, doesnโ€™t block headlights or turn signals.
Generator I carry in the front compartment, could also be placed in TV bed, even with good supession and shocks on the 5er too much weight hanging off the rear.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Put the generator in the front storage compartment. The rear of a 5th wheel is not a good place to put anything that is heavy because of the bouncing you get at the back.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Mount the bikes on a front mount hitch on the front of your truck. We use a Curt front mount hitch with a Swagman XC bike rack. Depending how big the generator is you may be able to carry the Genny in the bed of your teuck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Like said a carrier for the generator is easy to find, you might think about a bike rack the will mount to the front bumper of the truck. Just a thought.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A rack is easy to find. What is the receivers weight rating? Carrying inexpensive bikes on the rear is one thing but an expensive generator is something else. Iโ€™ve yet to see a good bike...road or mountain...on the back of a TT, 5er or MH.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad