cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch and truck side rail height

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new to me 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ with the 20 inch tire option.

When I looked at my hitch I thought I could raise the head up two more holes. Unfortunately I was looking at the holes for my Blue Ox bed saver. I do not have any more holes to raise the head.

I do not remember my pin box configuration but it is an extended pin box and there were adjustment holes. The RV is in storage so I will head over later today to see what I have there to work with.

The truck I traded was a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD short bed and I was perfectly level when hitched.

The hitch is a RBW hitch.

Do I need a whole new hitch or pin box? Just how screwed am I?

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
33 REPLIES 33

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
mamasmax wrote:
Going to the 18" wheels and tires does nothing to change the height of your truck. The overall diameter is the same. What you would gain is more weight capacity from the tires AND the wheels in the 18" size. The 20" wheels are not offered on 1 ton trucks. Besides, a 2" reduction in tire diameter would have you turning some serious RPM's when rolling down the hiway and you would really start hating that.

I have 20 inch wheels on my 2014 Ram 3500 SRW...almost all 1 tons now offer 20 inch wheels as an option. I do agree with you though I dont think going to 18 inch wheels will help much here
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

Arson41
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at air bags for your trailer.
http://www.AutoFlexSuspensions.com
There is a youtube video out on it.
Auto Flex air suspension and Trailer Flex review with MrTruck
Hope that helps

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mackyb wrote:
Cummins
I have been airing the bags up prior hitching trailer. There is 8 - 10" of space between the truck & trailer.

This is what mine looks like with 30psi loaded. 4,500# pin weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Just google "LML drop shackle install" and you'll find several posts on this with tips, pics, part#'s, etc.

A floor jack and basic hand tools is all you should need.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
2" drop shackles on the rear is a common fix for this. No it doesn't void any warranty. GM HD trucks have about 3" of rake from the factory compared to an F250 that maybe has 1" at most.

First a big thank you to Bigfoot for the suggestion and to N-Trouble.

I did call the company from the link and was told the same thing regarding the warranty. GM would have to prove that this part was the cause of any failure in order to deny warranty coverage which is very unlikely.

For those of you that have done this what tools / equipment are required to attempt this myself? Is this something that can be done in my driveway (truck is too big for my garage)? Or should I take it somewhere? My daughter is getting married this month to an mechanical engineer and a real gearhead so I have the talent I think!

Thanks!

Dave

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2" drop shackles on the rear is a common fix for this. No it doesn't void any warranty. GM HD trucks have about 3" of rake from the factory compared to an F250 that maybe has 1" at most.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot affair wrote:
mamasmax wrote:
Going to the 18" wheels and tires does nothing to change the height of your truck. The overall diameter is the same. What you would gain is more weight capacity from the tires AND the wheels in the 18" size. The 20" wheels are not offered on 1 ton trucks. Besides, a 2" reduction in tire diameter would have you turning some serious RPM's when rolling down the hiway and you would really start hating that.

X2 the 18" and 20" wheel/tire combination on these trucks are the same diameter.

Have you thought about lowering shackles for the rear of the truck? Lowering shackles

I have been thinking of doing this with my truck.. My fifth is already lifted and I would like to bring it back down to earth.

OP Here,

If I go to these shackles will it void my factory warranty on my truck? It seems like an easy swap and affordable as well.

Thanks!

Dave

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Being a little nose high with conventional springs with equalizer is not that big of a deal. With those torsion axles, you really need to be level as possible.

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
mamasmax wrote:

X2 the 18" and 20" wheel/tire combination on these trucks are the same diameter.

Have you thought about lowering shackles for the rear of the truck? Lowering shackles

I have been thinking of doing this with my truck.. My fifth is already lifted and I would like to bring it back down to earth.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again,

I have been working with Trailer City RV in West Virginia. I contacted Forest River / Flagstaff directly and found out they make / provide a lift kit for my 5th wheel. The young lady attempting to help me could not answer any questions with out putting me on hold and asking someone else. She quoted me over $300 for the kit.

I contacted Trailer City who is the closet Flagstaff dealer to me now and they researched further and got a kit in. The cost is $185 for the kit plus three hours labor and I should be out the door for under $500. I'm making arrangements now to get my hitch in the new truck and if I am able to tow it I'll be taking it down to Trailer City.

Dave

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

OK so I took another ride over to the RV and discovered that my 5th wheel does not have leaf springs. It just has spindles that come down from the frame and over to the hub / drum. I looked this up and it is referred to as a Torsion Axle system. This means that flipping the axels is not an option.

The way I see it is my only hope is to take it to a frame / suspension shop and have them weld a 3 inch block between these spindles and the frame.

If anyone has any advice that can help I surely would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Dave

mackyb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins
I will give it a try when I get it back from the dealer. Thanks!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mackyb wrote:
Cummins
I have been airing the bags up prior hitching trailer. There is 8 - 10" of space between the truck & trailer.

Check your pressure with RV hooked I bet is is at least 50psi. I would adjust the space between the bed and RV to 6" or slightly more. Air bags so the TV sits level and see how everything looks.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here again

As you can imagine I have been searching and reading as much as I can on the subject. On a thread in another forum they mentioned that if you have Dexter axles they make a lift kit. I looked and depending on the size of your axle the most expensive lift kit was less than $200.

My question is how do you determine what axles and size you have on the 5th wheel?

Also would going from 15 to 16 inch tires raise the 5th wheel any? If so what is involved with this and where do you recommend I look for the hubs and other parts required?

Thanks!

Dave