cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Hitch Information.

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. My wife and I are taking delivery of our new 2014 Hemisphere Lite 327 res next week. We currently have a TT so I have to get a 5th wheel hitch for our truck. It's a 99 F250 Superduty CC with a 7.3 diesel and 3.73 rear axle. I'm looking at Etrailer at the various hitches they have. I'm looking for information on the different brands offered, Reese, Pro Series, Husky, Curt. The Hemispere Lite has an empty weight of 9544lbs, and a cargo carrying capacity of 2651. Which puts it at around 12195 heavy. I'm thinking of going with a 16k hitch just in case, since I have to buy a hitch anyway I might as well go a little above in case of anything. Any thoughts on a hitch and towing this 5er with my truck set up. Thanks..
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"B & W RVK3600 = NOT A SLIDER
But yes, it is a USA-made hitch...attached to a truck full of Chinese-made components and partially assembled in Mexico."

I understand it's not a slider, just showing my go to B&W pic. Yes the above is true. When I have 23K yanking on the hitch on some of these bad roads we have I want a high quality hitch.

I just want people to be informed. Go to the Curt website and tell me if they LEAD you to believe their hitch is US Made or not.

Are there any other high quality hitches out there besides the B&W brand?

Yes. TrailerSaver, PullRite, Demco, ANDERSEN

I will take B&W first.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
But yes, it is a USA-made hitch...attached to a truck full of Chinese-made components and partially assembled in Mexico."

I understand it's not a slider, just showing my go to B&W pic. Yes the above is true. When I have 23K yanking on the hitch on some of these bad roads we have I want a high quality hitch.

I just want people to be informed. Go to the Curt website and tell me if they LEAD you to believe their hitch is US Made or not.

PullRite and Demco are some high quality hitches. I like the jaw design of the Demco... all the good attributes of a slide bar and a single jaw hitch.

BTW.. single jaw hitches or hook jaw hitches are fantastic. Very secure. There are a few manufactures who make this type of Jaw. Reese is one of them. The 18k High Rise fifth wheel adapter uses a single jaw design... I believe Husky also makes a single jaw hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Andersen Ultimate is a high quality made in the USA hitch. IT is also 1/2 to 1/4 of the cost of the others because of it's simplicity.

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer

I have that hitch in 24K its great, no clunks, easy to use. I haul quite heavy with it quite a bit with my deck trailers and have no issues.

the only caveat, the hitch is very sturdy and so it wont pivot forwards quite so simply, if you were used to "picking up" your trailer a few inches with another brand of hitch you wont do that with the curt.

I have a block of wood that we use for king pin height off the tail gate, must be 14 1/4 inches for a smooth lock up.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peg Leg wrote:
Look at used hitches. You won't find many B&W's because we keep them.

I sold my 18K Companion first day first call on CL for $500. They guy was thrilled.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Top quality US Made no question if you are hitched, NO noise either.

REESE=China/Mexico

Curt=China

From the OP:
"Yep, truck is a short bed so I definitely want a slider."

B & W RVK3600 = NOT A SLIDER
But yes, it is a USA-made hitch...attached to a truck full of Chinese-made components and partially assembled in Mexico.

To the OP's situation:
I own a Reese Elite 18K slider that's about 10 years old. Have never used the slider function, but I got the hitch 2nd hand from a family member for a good price. I don't recall hearing much noise out of it, but when you're using a 7.3L PSD, hitch noise may not be very noticeable ๐Ÿ˜‰ It is possible to "high hitch", but IMO, once you've done it one time, its a mistake you're not likely to repeat. I think the Curt in your link might work fine, but it doesn't appear to have much in the way of vertical adjustment. Personally, I'd like something that can go a little lower than that one. I also don't care for the long goofy-looking handles, but the few reviews are very positive.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Reese 16k has worked well for us.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Look at used hitches. You won't find many B&W's because we keep them.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Top quality US Made no question if you are hitched, NO noise either.

REESE=China/Mexico

Curt=China

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr_MrsSchlepprock250 wrote:
Thanks guys. Sorry it's taken so long to get back, I've been busy. I've been looking at the Curt linked Here. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or opinion on this one. Yep, truck is a short bed so I definitely want a slider. Of course 'm looking at some what of a budget, but not a set dollar yet. And also just some more info, the truck has Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

And This Curt is 16k but has the Economy slide jaw. The first one I posted has the standard double jaw. Any opinions on the two. Is one better than the other?

Well in my opinion better than both of the Curts would be the twin jaw Reese. My reason is experience, towed over 20 miles with the handle UNLOCKED. Not something I would do intentionally, but the fact that I did it is impressive. So the why I was able to do this? Well it is good design of the jaws. The jaws on the Reese have their pivot point behind the pin. The Curt the pivots are even with the center of the pin.

This is the Curt Jaws.

You will notice the jaw pivot points are right in line with the center of the pin.

This is the Reese twin jaw, notice the pivot points are behind the pin, the harder the pin is pulled, the tighter the jaws close!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr_MrsSchlepprock250 wrote:
Thanks guys. Sorry it's taken so long to get back, I've been busy. I've been looking at the Curt linked Here. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or opinion on this one. Yep, truck is a short bed so I definitely want a slider. Of course 'm looking at some what of a budget, but not a set dollar yet. And also just some more info, the truck has Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

And This Curt is 16k but has the Economy slide jaw. The first one I posted has the standard double jaw. Any opinions on the two. Is one better than the other?

My dad has the 20k version of the dual jaw hitch and it's been a solid hitch for him. No slop, no play in the hitch head...easy to see if the jaws are locked on the king pin... It's a heavy beast. We have to take it apart in two pieces and it's still a two man job to take out of the truck.

There are still a lot of people who prefer the slide bar found on the economy hitch. It is a bit louder and prone to chucking...but there is absolutely no question if the hitch and kingpin are locked... If the bar is across the jaws then it's hitched. Something I do not like about the Curt economy 16k is that there is no real way to lock the handle...you point the handle down and that is considered "locked"...but you can't add a padlock or anything like that.

ProSeries has an economy hitch rated at 15k and can be had with the slider base. Here is a Link

I have been totally satisfied with my ProSeries products and their performance has been flawless...if I were in your shoes I would not hesitate to purchase the dual jaw hitch or the slide bar hitch if money was tight.

Good luck in your search, I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ArmyColonel
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch