cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch security

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a new 5th wheel owner and I'm wondering if I should worry about having the 5th wheel hitch stolen out of the truck if I leave it mounted on the rails.
It's just so darn heavy I can only remove it with help from my son. Otherwise I have to leave it mounted in the truck.
Just say no to the payload police :C
38 REPLIES 38

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
5th wheel rail lock

Thanks, that will work just fine.
I don't mind spending $50 to keep my $2000+ hitch safe. ๐Ÿ™‚
Just say no to the payload police :C

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
In a CG, overnight, I lock my tailgate! Much easier to steal, than hitch, very expensive, easy pickins for someone in need, and yes, this, I have heard others tell of their bad experience.

Jerry

Jerry, I use this - McGard Tailgate Lock to prevent my tailgate from growing legs and wandering away...

I too have heard of folks loosing their tailgates..

I use a screw type hose clamp that is positioned so that someone has to hold the tailgate at a certain angle and then another has to get below to loosen the clamp.

Cost is one hose clamp.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I lock my doors and the tailgate locks, thought all newer trucks did so?

I am thinking most would have OEM lock capability. My 99 Ford did, and up to current did/does.

Didn't mean to hijack thread, changing to tailgates, but think the OP got the message as to needing to lock hitch.

In your example, showing hitch locks, sure can't hurt, especially the handle lock!

Jerry

Cummins12V98 wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:
In a CG, overnight, I lock my tailgate! Much easier to steal, than hitch, very expensive, easy pickins for someone in need, and yes, this, I have heard others tell of their bad experience.

Jerry

Jerry, I use this - McGard Tailgate Lock to prevent my tailgate from growing legs and wandering away...

They do BUT..... If the arse hole pops the handle apart and is able to open the tailgate, its all over then . . . At least I would still have a tailgate that needed some attention
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Last winter tried to sell a hitch (in good condition fully functional).

At $50, no interest.
At free, no interest.
I could have taken it to a scrap yard and gotten $3 for it.
Finally got one of the staff at the RV park to help me hoist it into the dumpster.

No, I'm not bothering to lock it to the truck. I actually used it to lock the generator to the truck by cabling the generator to the hitch.

I recently sold my Reese Elite 5th wheel hitch for $200 quickly on Facebook Marketplace. Had multiple people wanting to buy. So, yes, there is a market for them.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
bucky wrote:
A 50 cent hose clamp will stop a tail gate thief.

That's all I have ever used, turning the position of the tightening screw into the least accessible location.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like locks! Keeps EH-HOLES from pulling latching handle. Have two locks on the head that are keyed alike as are the base and latch locks.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
MFL wrote:

Jerry

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
A little off the subject but I don't lift the hitch. My truck is too big to fit in my garage however the garage door is large enough for me to back the bed into. I purchased an electric winch from harbor freight and installed two eye bolts into my garage door header and hang the winch from them. I back the truck bed under and raise the hitch high enough to pull the truck out and then lower the hitch onto a dolly and wheel it around. Works great.
Esacnj

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of weeks ago, some less than desirable moron tried to steal my tailgate. They punched the lock, got it open and the support straps off and could not get the tailgate since I have the hinge locked. It can be taken off, but it is work and takes two people...one from above and one from below. Thieves are among the lowest form of human life...right there with politicians.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a friend who had some devious person pull a couple of pins on the rails on his truck. Went to hook up the trailer and did a test pull and found out there was a problem. He purchased locks for that online and that took care of it. I think I will do the same. If you were out next to nowhere, pins could be hard to locate.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 50 cent hose clamp will stop a tail gate thief.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Last winter tried to sell a hitch (in good condition fully functional).

At $50, no interest.
At free, no interest.
I could have taken it to a scrap yard and gotten $3 for it.
Finally got one of the staff at the RV park to help me hoist it into the dumpster.

No, I'm not bothering to lock it to the truck. I actually used it to lock the generator to the truck by cabling the generator to the hitch.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never locked it, and have never worried about it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL wrote:

Jerry

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet