cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel insurence

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic has mentioned before but I would like to get some of your opinions. Our 5th wheel is now 8 years old and we just got our yearly ins bill. This year it jumpe $85 more. We called our co but the person who handles it is off today. Just a thought should't it decrease with age. Personally I think what we pay is way to high $785 for 2016. Yes we do still owe on the 5th. Any helpful answers would be appreciated. Thank you and Happy holidays to you all.
Southbound
36 REPLIES 36

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
I think you will be surprised, if you talk to a reputable insurance agent or lawyer as to how a trailer should be insured as apposed to a motor vehicle. I cut my trailer insurance premiums significantly by clarifying and understanding the differences after getting educated my insurance agent.

I see this post has been resurrected and I am interested in your comment. I could call my agent but would like to hear what yours said first.

Called my Farm Bureau agent yesterday because my RV insurance with Good Sam (National Interstate) is due next month and has its first increase in several years. One year is about $100.00 less than Good Sam BUT coverage is for actual cash value. Good Sam, in the event of total loss, will pay my original purchase price.

I was asked what I estimated the value of my rig was and I said I had no idea. After a moment she gave me a value 1/2 the amount I paid for it. Doesn't surprise me as I know they depreciate quickly.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had used State Farm for about 25years. Decided to check after price went up a lot. Went to an independent agent. They got me on Progressive, Car, Truck, Liberty, and Cameo. It was definitely cheaper. Had some rood damage on 5th (my fault). They called it in with trailer 120 miles from my home. I had left it in Amarillo for repairs. Adjuster went to shop, looked it over and told us if we needed more money to do a good job they would pay more. excellent service.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisatthebeach wrote:
Shop around, I have had mine with Geico since 2009, I have shopped but they still have the lowest price. It has never went up since I insured it. I do also have my other cars on the same policy.

I too shopped around for insurance this past fall on the 2016' Jayco and Progressive was cheaper with better deductibles than Geico...must be a state to state thing?..even bundling vehicles and camper, Progressive was lower priced than quite a few others that we checked.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Willcamp4 wrote:
CSAA charges me $89.00/yr including Comp/Collision. I had been with them for 38 years, tried switching to State Farm and that lasted 3 weeks. I switched back when they (State Farm)immediately started changing the terms of our monthly bill. Went back to CSAA and staying there. Of course, I'm not full time and I've never had an at-fault accident or a citation, which I would imagine helps.

The $89. sounds like a roll-in with your auto policy - may
not be the way to go......but -

Some readers (self included) are not familiar with "CSAA".

National or regional company?

A complete name might help...:W

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
CSAA charges me $89.00/yr including Comp/Collision. I had been with them for 38 years, tried switching to State Farm and that lasted 3 weeks. I switched back when they (State Farm)immediately started changing the terms of our monthly bill. Went back to CSAA and staying there. Of course, I'm not full time and I've never had an at-fault accident or a citation, which I would imagine helps.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I contacted our agent. Our RV is attached to truck policy. It costs $277 per 6mo with up to $100k coverage I think $500 deductable.

OOPS typo above, 6 mo cost is actually $227.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Likes to tow wrote:
The value of RV's decreases very rapidly each year. Try to trade one in or sell it! You should be able to find the "true market value" of yours by asking a dealer and insure for only that amount. If you paid say $50k for it new then why should you be insuring it for that 5 years down the road when it's actual value would be say $25k. If it becomes destroyed the insurance company will try to give you $20k!!!!

Paid 120K but only insured for 100K, no doubt we lost that much first day of use!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
The value of RV's decreases very rapidly each year. Try to trade one in or sell it! You should be able to find the "true market value" of yours by asking a dealer and insure for only that amount. If you paid say $50k for it new then why should you be insuring it for that 5 years down the road when it's actual value would be say $25k. If it becomes destroyed the insurance company will try to give you $20k!!!!

You can purchase insurance that will pay you replacement cost for a number of years. Not sure but it could go as long as 5 to 7 years.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I contacted our agent. Our RV is attached to truck policy. It costs $277 per 6mo with up to $100k coverage I think $500 deductable.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
boshog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I don't think I pay more than $350 a year for our 16 Mobile Suites. It is based on a determined value and is a RYDER on the truck policy. VERY CHEAP. I use farmers Ins.

I have Farmers for home, two trucks, two cars, Harley Davidson, and the 2015 Montana. Farmers does not insure the Montana or the HD, they broker it to Foremost. I pay $735 for the Montana with a $1000 detectable.

I know coverage varies drastically by state, I'm in Michigan.

Interesting, I have a Boat that they insure thru Formost. RV is part of the truck insurance.

What is your domicile for insurance purposes?

I found it intersting Foremost carries my fiver insurance when the Farmer's web site indicates they do; http://www.farmers.com/recreational/5th-wheel/ I'll have to have a chat with my agent.

I also found this statement interesting from the Farmer's site; "The biggest mistake many fifth wheel owners make is insuring their rig on an auto policy."

You may want to revisit your coverage.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
boshog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I don't think I pay more than $350 a year for our 16 Mobile Suites. It is based on a determined value and is a RYDER on the truck policy. VERY CHEAP. I use farmers Ins.

I have Farmers for home, two trucks, two cars, Harley Davidson, and the 2015 Montana. Farmers does not insure the Montana or the HD, they broker it to Foremost. I pay $735 for the Montana with a $1000 detectable.

Interesting, I have a Boat that they insure thru Formost. RV is part of the truck insurance.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Trailer will need collision and comprehensive. If one hits something while moving with the trailer the damage will fall under the collision. That was just discussed here recently and I also had an incident with a tree limb while traveling on a street.

I think you will be surprised, if you talk to a reputable insurance agent or lawyer as to how a trailer should be insured as apposed to a motor vehicle. I cut my trailer insurance premiums significantly by clarifying and understanding the differences after getting educated my insurance agent.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote: