cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel or Class A

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know there have been a million posts about this subject. I am looking at retirement in a few years and want to full time. Never have owned an RV, but want the freedom to move about when I want. I am not wanting to travel on a full time basis, but move every 2 or 3 months. I live in Florida and want to stay here, just different locations. I have researched Class A's and now researching 5th wheels. I really like the space and feel of a 5th wheel over a MH. For either one I would want something around 32 - 36 foot range.

My question:: I am by myself, which is going to be easier to handle and set-up, load up, etc.?
14 REPLIES 14

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Had both and I think I am quicker with the fifth. Hooking and unhooking the car we towed took a little more time than the doing the same with the fifth wheel. We had manual hydraulic levelers on the motor home so had to play with it a bit. The fifth wheel is automatic. Press a button, step back and watch it do its thing. All the other hook ups are the same.

One thing to think about, when we had the motorhome we would generally unhook the car in the check-in area and the wife would follow me to our spot. If you are by yourself that becomes a little more difficult. We did that so we wouldn't block the road in front of our campsite while we disconnected. Not an issue if you have a pull thru spot but those seem to be the exception, at least in our experience.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
I'm not concerned about the amount of time it will take to do everything. I will be retired that's all I will have is time.

Sometimes it's just a matter of preference, however.......

What would your choice of a MH be?
Class A, Class C?
Gasoline (powered) or a diesel pusher?
New or used - for either one?

A nice -even *very* nice- 5th wheel can be less than half (or a quarter) of the cost of a "nice" DP MH.

Of course - that can go either way - mostly "UP", LOL!
Ex: New Horizon 5th -vs- Country Coach (or?) DP MH.

Your 5th tow vehicle is your "daily driver".
Normally, not a MH.

With the MH you will most likely want a "toad" for your daily driving.

Depending on what type of towed vehicle you want - you can spend the same as the cost of a nice pickup (to tow the 5th).

The MH has an engine & transmission - that needs regular maintenance - which can be expensive.
Less "degradation" for a long-time parked 5th -vs- a MH.

*You* need to do your own personal "spread sheet" of what you want to spend - and the costs of each.
It's *NOT* our $$..;)

Get out and go to shows, visit dealers, etc..:)

BTW - had both, the 'set-up' time difference is marginal - and IMO
nothing to do with consideration of/for either one.

Also - keep in mind, you will probably be "towing" whenever you move
- whether the tow vehicle is a MH (with toad), or a pickup towing your 5th wheel.

~

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
rollindowntheroad wrote:
I was just worried about how difficult it would be to set up a 5'ver over a MH. MH's just press a couple of buttons and your done. Seems a 5'ver would take more effort.

Why do you think it takes more effort? Some newer fivers (like mine) have the same auto leveling feature and is leveled with the push of a button just like the MH. The other set up (electrical, water, sewer) is basically the same for both. With the right fiver, you don't have to back onto boards to level it these days.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
~~ 5 ~~
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I chose a 5er based on our travels. We are not full timers. We use it around 35 nights per year. But of those 35 nights we are on the road less than 10 days and less than 3,000 miles. I just could not see a motor home sitting in place more than 355 days per year and only those few miles.
And as noted above, newer 5ers now come with automatic leveling system options so setup difference is minimal. With both you still have to connect water, electric, and sewer.

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, do not get the "less setup on a MH"...I have owned both...if you tow a car, there is no advantage. The newer fivers come with hydraulic levelers...slide out deployment is no different than a MH...utility hookups are similar as are awning deployments...where is this mystical time saver????

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I certainly don't have a problem with driving a truck. I live about 30 minutes from LazyDays in Tampa, have made several trips there, in fact went this last weekend.

I was just worried about how difficult it would be to set up a 5'ver over a MH. MH's just press a couple of buttons and your done. Seems a 5'ver would take more effort.

Getting out of a truck doesn't bother me either. Again, not planning on traveling days at a time. Just moving every couple of months.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
simsfmly wrote:
Honestly, if you're not going to be driving it a bunch, you lose a lot of living space with the Class A.

Biggest thing we've noticed is repairs. There's lots of people who can work on our Chevrolet Pickup that tows our 5'er; not so many for a Class A. And we've noticed EVERYONE has to order parts which take forever to come in. That's going to be your house.

Very good points. If you travel daily, a class A is best. If you stay for several days or more, lots more space in the fifth wheel.

If you have a Class A and a toad, your setup is no faster than a fifth wheel. My fifth wheel has auto leveling and from parking to set up is about 10 minutes.

Good luck and have fun.

simsfmly
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, if you're not going to be driving it a bunch, you lose a lot of living space with the Class A.

Biggest thing we've noticed is repairs. There's lots of people who can work on our Chevrolet Pickup that tows our 5'er; not so many for a Class A. And we've noticed EVERYONE has to order parts which take forever to come in. That's going to be your house.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Living space vs having maybe a slight advantage of some convenience while on the road. Toad vs truck. Those are the only two issues that are important imo.

Since you're the only driver that amounts to getting out of your truck and walking to the fifth wheel door, opening it and going inside to take a leak. Vs getting up out of the MH seat and walking to the door to do the same.

Setup is such an overblown thing its not even worth considering. I could train a chimp to setup any rv.

Toad vs truck pick one I don't see the big deal but some people can't drive a truck for whatever reason.

Fifth wheels have far superior living space and internal storage. If you aren't traveling all the time then a MH's advantages become pretty minimal unless you are completely adverse to driving a truck around.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
The main reason we went with a 5er was having a more separated bedroom and living area. If you're by yourself, that shouldn't be a big deal. You can tow a car with an A that you can get around very well with, while the truck you'll need for a 5er will be bigger and get potentially much poorer mileage. Maintenance costs of the truck will be much less than for an A though. I'd be hard pressed to make up my mind myself. I'd have to make a list of things I really wanted, things I'd like to have, and things I didn't want first. Then find a really big dealership or RV show and walk through a lot of them to get a feel for what's available.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 28' Class C and a 28' 5er. The 5er does have a Super-slide, so it seems palatial in comparison; but even if it had NO slide, it still gives a LOT more living area. If I was going to stay put for a month or so - I'd go with a 5er.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not concerned about the amount of time it will take to do everything. I will be retired that's all I will have is time.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Class A will be easier to set up in my opinion but the reason we went to a 5er is the mobility once your set up. If you get a small dingy then its a toss up. Find the one you like the best and go for it.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT