cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel or Tounge pull?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you pick yours & what advantages do you see for one over the other?

I'm thinking the 5th wheel might be more stable being its weight is over the axle?

Might it be safer in the wind over a Tounge pull trailer?

My truck camper is just too small for us & I'm starting a trailer might be a good affordable option , compared to a motor home.

Not to mention I disconnect from the trailer & go sight seeing.
Vs flat towing like we do now if we planned to do a sight seeing trip.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
34 REPLIES 34

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
TBammer wrote:
Alright, forget the cap. Is the basement storage still more than the truck bed up to the rails?

When I had a TT I had to use the truck along with a canopy to haul everything. The TT front storage was small. Some brands like Outdoor RV have much larger front storage compartments.
Now with a 5er almost everything goes in the 5ers front storage compartments. I only put a 4' ladder and some firewood in the truck bed. I do sometimes carry 3 7 gal water jugs when dry camping. I have 4' of room from the cab to 5th hitch. Plenty for lots of stuff if needed. My two bikes are on the rear of the 5er.
best thing about the 5er is that ALL of the gear thats in the basements stays in the basements till the next trip. When I had the truck I had to unload all that gear when I returned home.
Not all 5ers have the same storage capacity.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TBammer wrote:
Alright, forget the cap. Is the basement storage still more than the truck bed up to the rails?

I can get a fair amount of stuff in my bed, below the rails, without interfering with my pin box. My old FW didn't have a lot of storage and the only time I took bikes with me, they went =in= the FW. I guess we just camp fairly light.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never tried sleeping in a tt while my wife is driving but with a 5th wheel I find it quite easy to do. A 36 ft fifth wheel makes your total length about 50 ft long. A tt long enough to provide 36 ft of living length would likely cause your overall unit length to be 60 ft which could make backing into some spots tight.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco1 wrote:
What is this "GN" I keep you guys mentioning?

Goose Neck
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
We went TT over a 5er because of needing the storage in the bed. We regularly carry 4 bikes, and 4 kayaks. 4 bikes in the bed, and 4 yaks on a ladder rack over the bikes.

Well think out of the box and you could have a 5er.

Long bed TV pin box bike rack, carry kayaks on rack over cab the extends forward over hood area.

Once again personal choice.

That's a pretty good idea on the bike rack, but we seldom ride in the campground, we typically head to a couple of mountain bike trails, and I like them a little protected in the bed with the amount I've spent on them.

The great thing is there are so many options for campers and bike racks, that there is something for every need.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
What is this "GN" I keep you guys mentioning?
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
We went TT over a 5er because of needing the storage in the bed. We regularly carry 4 bikes, and 4 kayaks. 4 bikes in the bed, and 4 yaks on a ladder rack over the bikes.

Long bed TV pin box bike rack, carry kayaks on rack over cab the extends forward over hood area.

I like the way you think! ????
With '85 Lance.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:
OK so what is more stable in High Winds?!?!?!?!
Thats my worst fears while on camping trips with my current TC.
It raises the COG much higher & those winds feel very scary!

Overall, the FW will be much more stable in winds. When a FW wants to move sideways, it's got to move the whole truck, too, due to the hitch point. With a TT, it's a case of the tail wagging the dog. Look at the leverage it's got on the truck from the ball vs the king pin of a FW. I'd towed enough trailers of all kinds to know that I didn't even consider a TT when I was shopping. I also had GN experience, so that sealed the deal even more.

Lyle

X2
We pull a 32' 5er I have NEVER felt any effect from a passing semi, or heavy side winds. I have tow this rig on the Oregon coast where the road is fully exposed to the Pacific, in strong winds and never noticed any push.
To the loss of the bed some can be covered with the basement and thinking out of the box, but I have also seen those that come with TT and huge BBQs a ton of bikes, and a yard full of kids toys in the bed of the truck.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wowens79 wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
TBammer wrote:
Is the under storage in the 5th wheel really more than a whole truck bed with cap?

No. The biggest downside to a fifth wheel is the loss of bed space, imo. You can gain it back in a FW toy hauler but not in a FW camper.

But on the flipside it gives you a shorter total package that tows nicer.

I'm open to a Toy Hauler , I'll just have to look at both.
But that's mostly for bike & Side X sides k I don't have any of those.
Can't put my bass tracker boat in a Toy Hauler or my Samurai .
With '85 Lance.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:

Overall, the FW will be much more stable in winds.
x2. and the heavier the tow vehicle the more stable it will be.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Blanco1 wrote:
OK so what is more stable in High Winds?!?!?!?!
Thats my worst fears while on camping trips with my current TC.
It raises the COG much higher & those winds feel very scary!

Overall, the FW will be much more stable in winds. When a FW wants to move sideways, it's got to move the whole truck, too, due to the hitch point. With a TT, it's a case of the tail wagging the dog. Look at the leverage it's got on the truck from the ball vs the king pin of a FW. I'd towed enough trailers of all kinds to know that I didn't even consider a TT when I was shopping. I also had GN experience, so that sealed the deal even more.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member