cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel rubber roof maintenance

e4dna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Bighorn 5th wheel. I got it used and it's in great shape. So many of the people at the RV park where we stay for the summer, in North Carolina, are putting a coating and/or sealant on their 5th wheel rubber roof. My 2013 Bighorn book states that it is not necessary to use coatings or sealants and that it doesn't prolong the life of the rubber roof, and are not necessary. The rubber roof is in good shape. Should I start using one of these coating or sealants? If I do start will I have to do it every year in the future?
14 REPLIES 14

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
RV Flex Armor is an excellent option, but again, they do not have enough locations around the country!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Rubber roof guarantee for 10/20 years only thing to do is inspect and Fix corking if needed.
Frank.

My experience with the rubber roof manufacturer's warranty isn't good. My roof membrane was failing in December 2015 after 5 1/2 years service and they offered $227.00 total compensation. What a joke. The warranty isn't worth the cost of the ink to print it in the brochures. In my personal experience.

Here is what a brand new RV Flex Armor roof looks like as of January 2016. This was just before I hooked up and drove off.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber roof guarantee for 10/20 years only thing to do is inspect and Fix corking if needed.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
My opinion is the only thing to do with a rubber roof is to replace it immediately even if brand new. My rubber roof membrane was failing and leaking water through it after 5 1/2 years service. Not only worrying about the membrane I was constantly worrying about caulking that was aging also and where the leak is that I didn't know about.

Not seeing any sense in spending money on a new rubber roof and expecting different results I did This.

My roof is now thicker, quieter, cooler inside, and NO CAULKING EVER.

The cost was $170.00/linear foot. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a totaled RV due to a leak you didn't know about and no more expensive than a new rubber roof.

IMHO

IMHO, a worthwhile investment. They need more locations though for easy accessibility by all.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i am a let it alone guy.

Check caulking and stay off it and leave it alone. Works for me.

I would rather fret over whether the oysters will be in season, the draft beer being fresh and crisp, and other essential stuff. :W

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My 1997 5er has never had anything other washed twice in its life time. Sure its spotted in a few places and not bright white anymore but I could care less. Its still doing its job.

If I was to add any product up there it would be what the roofing material mfg recommends not some RV tech in a campground that makes a living selling products and applying them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is the only thing to do with a rubber roof is to replace it immediately even if brand new. My rubber roof membrane was failing and leaking water through it after 5 1/2 years service. Not only worrying about the membrane I was constantly worrying about caulking that was aging also and where the leak is that I didn't know about.

Not seeing any sense in spending money on a new rubber roof and expecting different results I did This.

My roof is now thicker, quieter, cooler inside, and NO CAULKING EVER.

The cost was $170.00/linear foot. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a totaled RV due to a leak you didn't know about and no more expensive than a new rubber roof.

IMHO
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

davonelson
Explorer
Explorer
You bet your boots you need to take care of your rubber roof. Grit and grime is constantly being blown over it not to mention the extreme sunlight. Wash the roof with a mild soap and mop on a light treatment recommended by an RV tech you trust twice a year and you will avoid premature failure. I am a ten year 5th wheel owner who fell for the "no need to touch your roof" line. On a 37ft fiver a roof is $10,000 when it is all seaf and done. Good luck!

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Bighorn Fifth Wheel. I climb up at least twice a year and check the roof and we use a rubber roof cleaner and conditioner. That's it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
e4dna wrote:
So many of the people at the RV park where we stay for the summer, in North Carolina, are putting a coating and/or sealant on their 5th wheel rubber roof.
Unless those roofs are damaged and leaking, they're all doing something that's not necessary. I doubt if they read this thread it would change their minds.

Rubber roofs don't need that kind of attention any more than the roof on your house.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A 2013 roof should not need anything except regular inspections and maybe caulk.
As PM, cover the seams with Eternabond. Your roof has a long life ahead of it.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Also, be careful what you wash the roof with. I had someone wash my roof and he used one of those roof washes, and it damaged the adhesive holding the membrane to the roof substrate. At least that's what I think did it, I didn't have a problem until then.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Me....I'm thinking that they designed, manufactured and warranty the roof and hopefully know more about them and their care than I do or the guy parked next to me.

So, I follow the roof manufacturer recommendations more than I follow a guy I don't even know who parks next door.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro