cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8L Diesel

Mickey_G
Explorer
Explorer
How do you all feel about the 6.8L Triton v10?
Is this a good and reliable motor?
I know it's not a 7.2L like I want, but this truck has all the options I would want.
Should I stay clear of this motor, or look more into this truck?
7.2L are hard to come by. Everyone is ganging on to them.
8 REPLIES 8

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2006 F350 with the v-10. It is a beast / never has a problem going over hills etc.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
Not a Ford person, but I understand the V10 is a great engine and will pass just about anything, Except for Gas Stations. Friends had an F250 V10 pulling their Jayco Eagle 5er and with the small gas tank they we always stopping for gas. Didn't help that he has a Heavy Foot too.

I would write exactly the above...except I am a Ford person...The V10 revved alot and I got many compliments from the gas station owners.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1999 V10 F350 and Loved it as it was super reliable and I had no spark plug issues BUT like was said before anything over a 12K 5er forget it at the time I had a 34 ft Montana and it did just fine once I traded up to the bigger 5er's I had to put it out of it's misery it SCREAMED for mercy at 5K RPM going up the mountain passes at 40MPH if i was lucky and got about 6MPG so Traded it for a Duramax Diesel and smooth sailing ever since
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a Ford person, but I understand the V10 is a great engine and will pass just about anything, Except for Gas Stations. Friends had an F250 V10 pulling their Jayco Eagle 5er and with the small gas tank they we always stopping for gas. Didn't help that he has a Heavy Foot too.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Shifty_85
Explorer
Explorer
Being a mechanic at a ford dealership i saw the engine guy replace quite a few of the V-10 3 valve engines they also have a problem like the 5.4 3V to shoot spark plugs out of the head destroying the COP and needing a helicoil insert.

i would personally prefer a 2 valve V10 ive owned 1 of each of the 2 valves *4.6 5.4 and 6.8* and never had any issues with them.

As he said these are high RPM motors let them spin my F150 did not make max HP and Torque till 4300 + RPM!!!.

Keep up on oil changes these engines need oil changed regularly due to the over head cam design.

Friend had a 6.8L excursion and it would get between 6MPG **towing 10K** to 10 MPG *Unloaded*

The exhaust manifolds seem to be a real issue too and can get really costly quick. Not nearly as many V-10 parts out there as 5.4 parts.

Good luck!!
2000 F250 7.3 towing our 1996 31Ft cardinal by cobra

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel? No it is a gasoline engine! The V10 has been around for a long time. Early ones had problems swallowing spray plugs, but they seem to have sorted that out. Be advised they love to rev up. Had one in a class A, in Fla things are pretty flat, not many hills, but driving down the Interstate, it would down shift and rev up to 3.800 RPM just going over an overpass. I had to sell that Class A, could not imagine driving anywhere there were hills or mountians with that set up!

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one in my F250, 170,000 miles and still running strong. It will pull my 7500 lbs TT down the road in overdrive 70 mph @ 2,000 rpms.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Mickey,

I owned a 2 valve Triton GAS V10. It is a fantastic workhorse and I would own another one if I were looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford.

It behaves similarly to the less powerful 5.4 Ford V8. Basically you will be turning some RPM on hills to make the HP you need to pull the hill. Do not lug these engines, let them spin some RPM. It is not a diesel motor but it will do a great job.

I would probably limit my weight to about 12k lbs max with the V10. Anything more and I would look for a diesel.

Oh, one more thing. Look for a 3 valve V10 which started in 2005 and up. They have a lot more power. I think you can still get a V10 in new F450's.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~