cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C Help!

Jaycorookie
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we bought our first 5th wheel this year and are a little perplexed by an air conditioning issue. Its a 2015 Jayco 339FLQS. Front living room. It came with a single 13.5K air unit. Mounted just slightly rear of the middle. Its ducted and struggles to cool the rig. I checked the front and rear vent openings for a second a/c prep. There is one in the rear bedroom. Unfortunately, the bedroom is already quite cool. If I add an additional unit to the rear, I feel it'll be kind of a waste. Any suggestions? How do I cool down the living room? It's been too hot up there to enjoy taking the RV out...
16 REPLIES 16

Jaycorookie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bumpy!

Looking to spend more time with my wife and son, and a little less at the Plant on the weekends!

Ray-

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jaycorookie wrote:
Thank you EVERYONE for the input. I don't think a single 15k will be enough. I was really hoping the "prewire" would have been up front in living room. The bedroom is quite comfortable.
@ Irish2: Its been around the 90 degree mark. I see a 2nd A/C in my future...
@ AZCL: Will definitely crack open the roof vent up in livingroom.
@ Bumpyroad: Agreed. I think I'll put the smaller one in the back.
@ bqcooker: Love it. 10,500 empty. Fully loaded, we're somewhere around 12 or 12.5k (all our gear included) Powerstroke doesn't even know its there. About 1700 RPM at 65 MPH.
@ Lee Worsdell: Doing the fan thing now. Hoping to bring overall temp down without turning bedroom into walk in fridge.
@ Coach-Man: Not sure how to do that inside? Its a "whisper quiet". Nothing inside except 2 intakes on either side of kitchen.
@ Taking the 5th: Definitely! Thinking about adding a ceiling fan up front.
@ Mandalay Parr: Sounds like the way to go.
@ScottG: I'm finding out quickly that more is better! lol

Again, Thanks everyone!

an excellent way to address suggestions. wish every body did it.
welcome aboard.
bumpy

Jaycorookie
Explorer
Explorer
Oops... I see there is a second page of reply's...

Sandia Man: Thank you, we really love it. And I totally agree...must have been a mistake.
Just a Ford guy: For sure. Looking for more permanent fix, but right now have a tall pedestal fan up front to move air.
Brock in Fla: Hahahaha!! Right...North pole for sure. Hopefully our next trip up to Grayling in August won't be too hot!

Jaycorookie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you EVERYONE for the input. I don't think a single 15k will be enough. I was really hoping the "prewire" would have been up front in living room. The bedroom is quite comfortable.
@ Irish2: Its been around the 90 degree mark. I see a 2nd A/C in my future...
@ AZCL: Will definitely crack open the roof vent up in livingroom.
@ Bumpyroad: Agreed. I think I'll put the smaller one in the back.
@ bqcooker: Love it. 10,500 empty. Fully loaded, we're somewhere around 12 or 12.5k (all our gear included) Powerstroke doesn't even know its there. About 1700 RPM at 65 MPH.
@ Lee Worsdell: Doing the fan thing now. Hoping to bring overall temp down without turning bedroom into walk in fridge.
@ Coach-Man: Not sure how to do that inside? Its a "whisper quiet". Nothing inside except 2 intakes on either side of kitchen.
@ Taking the 5th: Definitely! Thinking about adding a ceiling fan up front.
@ Mandalay Parr: Sounds like the way to go.
@ScottG: I'm finding out quickly that more is better! lol

Again, Thanks everyone!

Brockinfla
Explorer
Explorer
If you got a 38ft rv from a factory with a single 13.5k AC unit no matter the manufacture or brand you have a "mistake".

That's not nearly enough AC if the unit was meant to be parked in the **** North Pole all its life.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
You have two problems,1st and most important, that unit should have come with 2 A/Cs not one small one. 2nd all of the heat is rising up to that front living room. You need another A/C and some fans to move the cool air up to the front.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very nice rig by the way. Saying that how can Jayco think a 13.5K AC unit could cool such a behemoth. Only thing I can think of is it was intended for a 15K AC unit and they inadvertently installed way undersized 13.5 unit. Even so, such a sizable rig requires a minimum of 2 ACs to realistically deal with the hot temps the summer brings to most regions of the country. Hope you get it figured out, such a beautiful rig should not be sitting idle.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A 13.5 struggles in my TT so it hasn't got a chance in something that big if it's really hot.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
move the 13.5 to the bedroom and put a 15 up front.
bumpy

X2
This is how my rig is set up.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Cold air drops like a rock. Anything you can do to push cold air up and/or suck the hot air off the ceiling would help, but you definitely need more A/C as well.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Check the AC unit, remove the inside plastic that holds the filter. The intake side and exhaust are separated with a cheap plastic/cardboard product and usually there is significant leakage between the two! Use "metal backed" tape to seal off the intake from the exhaust, your unit will see a bump in its efficiency of the unit!

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I have a front living room even with a 15k up front it still runs all day in 90 degree heat. You might try a fan on the floor blow some of that cold air out of bedroom.

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

^^^^^this. Or replace the 13.5 with a 15K if you want to stay w/ a single unit. But I would have 2 units with a rig this size.

BTW, how are you liking this unit? Do you have current weights? It's on my short Lis for 5th wheels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy