cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C question

MillerTime8303
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at buying a used 5th wheel camper. I live in south Louisiana and wondering if just one floor ducted A/C unit will be enough to keep us cool and comfortable in a 32" to 34' camper
16 REPLIES 16

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can usually add a second one if you really like the trailer. Worth looking into.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
When we moved back to Texas in 1997, we brought our 1996 Jayco Designer 3030RKSS 5th wheel that we had bought in Ohio. It only had one 13.5K BTU Coleman A/C. It was absolutely MISERABLE in Southeast Texas during the summer. Once the outside temperature got above 85 degF or so, the temperature inside the 5th wheel would rise degree for degree with the temperature outside the 5th wheel. We swapped that thing for a 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS with TWO A/Cs. That was the one and only 5th wheel I've ever owned with only one A/C. Never again!!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Parked in a good shady spot with a few simple mods you could get by but a 2nd unit is much preferred
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MillerTime8303 wrote:
We are looking at buying a used 5th wheel camper. I live in south Louisiana and wondering if just one floor ducted A/C unit will be enough to keep us cool and comfortable in a 32" to 34' camper

At that size, a single 15k A/C would be marginal, IMO; mostly due to the humidity. A second unit in the bedroom would make life a =lot= more comfortable.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MillerTime8303
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input.

What I'm looking at is a 2007 Keystone Laredo 32RS 5th wheel with quad bunks in the front. I really like the floorpan and was hoping the A/C would be ok.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Allworth wrote:
There should be round vents in the ceiling to distribute the A/C. I have seen a basement mounted A/C unit on a big (read expensive) Class A, but never on a fiver. I'm sure somebody will come up with an example to prove me wrong, but I've never seen one.

You will need a second, probably smaller, unit in the bedroom vent.

Yep, Alfa has basement A/C but out of business.

For OP, it is difficult to get by with a single AC, we did it for many yrs in Tx. But with higher humidity, a 2nd AC is pretty much required. But if the trailer has less than 8 outlets, a non-ducted unit may be the best choice
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Ohio, and I added a second in the bedroom, for camping in July and August.

You willing MUCH happier with a second AC.
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Alpha used in the floor ducted air conditioners. They have two evaporators, two compressors and one fan. SO Basically two units in one package.

If that is what you are looking at, then it will be fine as it has a pair of 13,500 Btu compressors, or the same capacity as two units.

However the Alpha units are very difficult to service. You basically have to drop them to the ground, and work on them under the fifth wheel, or move the fifth wheel and work on them separate from the RV.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get two you will be happier. 95 degrees and 90 % humidity is the same where ever you are.

rseymour21
Explorer
Explorer
No X? I hate camping during the summer! With just one AC, I try to do most of my camping during Fall, Winter and Spring! My next RV will have 2!
2003 F250 7.3L
2008 Cougar 292RK

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
MillerTime8303 wrote:

No. You need 2 unless all your camping is going to be way way north of Lousiana.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of the above!!!
We have a 32' and here in the greater Portland area decided we need to add a second before this summer!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 34' 5th wheel in north TX. Had one 15k AC the first year. Added a 2nd 13.5k AC the next year. You will definitely like the second AC.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Get the 2nd AC, I'm in South Louisiana...first 2 RVs had 1, my latest 2 ACs...night and day difference
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion