cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good tire thread

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my current toyhauler it had 20 miles on the tires but had sat for 4 yrs. So I put new ones on. I wasn't in the mood to buy new wheels in order to put Goodyear G614's on it. So I rolled the dice and put some 235/80/16 E rated Commadors on it. I had to go to Indiana from Az. My mother was in the hosp and I had no idea how long I would be there. I chose to take the trailer with me.

I must say I was very nervous about it. I drove back there, 1800 miles in 45 hrs. Speeds were from 55 to 70 as conditions warranted. Was there for 2 wks and then drove home, 1800 miles in 38 hrs. Every time I stopped for fuel after 200+ miles @ 70 mph I got out and checked them. Never was hot. Just a little warm to the touch. Kept an eye on the pressures and all is good. They have a 78 mph rating and to my surprise performed very well. Now mind you they may blow the next trip but for now they are doing well.

With the extended drive times between stops I expected them to heat up more than they did. I'll see how it goes. They were less than half the cost of the Goodyears plus the cost of new wheels.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp
8 REPLIES 8

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not exactly. Some people and I know a few that just hook em up and go without checking anything. I've seen them crawling over large rocks, curbs, logs etc.

As for not manning up I'm not quite sure how to take that comment so I won't respond.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
I just think a lot of failures are due to operator errors.

Operator error...... if you mean by not manning up and buying the right tires in the first place, I agree.......
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just think a lot of failures are due to operator errors.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
> A good tire thread

No such thing! :W

hahaha..... :B
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
> A good tire thread

Come on Dave, your eyes have to be healed up by now :B
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
fly-boy wrote:
Lots of factors when you consider tires- was air pressure regularly checked and maintained, how much weight they are carrying, speed, how long they sit in one spot with weight on them, weather...

I have had very good luck with the Goodyears on a lighter trailer but I did have one let go in the Fall on the TH after 3 years. I was hoping to get longer service than that.

Toying with the idea of less expensive options and more frequent replacement but not sure- I could just about replace six BFG Commerical E rated tires every 12 months for the same price as replacing the G614's every 3 years.

Will probably go with the G614's but I think I am going to try and get the weight off the tires when I park the rig for the winter.

I had 614's on my last toyhauler I had the first failure @ 8 yrs of age. That is here in this heat here in Az. But I was just not in a position to replace $1700 tires and then wheels added to that. I just hope I can make these things last with proper care. Y ou always hear the bad so I thought I would pass along some good news on a Chinese tire. The gut @ big o said they weren't coming back, but they all say that.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

dedmiston
> A good tire thread

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of factors when you consider tires- was air pressure regularly checked and maintained, how much weight they are carrying, speed, how long they sit in one spot with weight on them, weather...

I have had very good luck with the Goodyears on a lighter trailer but I did have one let go in the Fall on the TH after 3 years. I was hoping to get longer service than that.

Toying with the idea of less expensive options and more frequent replacement but not sure- I could just about replace six BFG Commerical E rated tires every 12 months for the same price as replacing the G614's every 3 years.

Will probably go with the G614's but I think I am going to try and get the weight off the tires when I park the rig for the winter.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...