cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding grab bars to shower

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Big Country triple slide. I have some mobility and balance issues and need to add a grab bar to the shower. It doesn't need to hold full weight, but I do not need it to pop off like suction cups would. We have a corner style shower with fiberglass and glass. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Sherry
5 REPLIES 5

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are called Home Care made by Moen. Suction cups are about 3" diameter with a lever at each end. When attached you can't budge them without releasing the levers. Bought them at Home Depot or some such place.

rwmmdj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice all. Hubby will have to check to see what's behind the walls. I'm going to get the suction ones for a temp fix. I just need to be able to get in and out!

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
We use suction cup type in our home shower. We pull both lever's each time before showering and they hold just fine.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I install many grab bars in showers for a local social services organization. Where tile is over drywall I use Hilti Togglers, unless I happen to hit a stud, and use the chrome or sst bars with mounting flanges and peened surface for a better grip when wet.
Some clients have a tub surround with no wall behind. In those cases I drill pilot holes and use stainless steel screws right into the wall. I then caulk the bottom screw hole and the top and sides of the flanges; not the bottom to allow any water accumulation to drain.
It's a personal preference but I usually recommend a vertical bar at the entrance to the shower to help the person get in and out. The top of the vertical bar should be at the same height as the persons shoulder. In some cases I will install another bar at another location for added stability for the client.
I would not recommend suction cup bars except for hanging towels.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Thumb
Explorer
Explorer
Sherry
We used toggle bolts to mount our grap bars
Works great for us
The size of the toggle can be determined by the weight you expect to put on the bar or the material you are attaching too

We used 3/8" toggles and once we drilled the holes
we cut the length of the toggle bolt to fit in the space available behind the bolt so the toggle could snug up tight against the wall surface

Remember to check from time to time , make sure they are staying tight

Hope this helps

Happy camping!