cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

advice on buying new / trading in 5th wheel

rsbabson
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on trading in my current 5er for one with a better floor plan / more room. Online prices on remaining 2014s seem to be coming down as the year gets closer to the end. I dont plan on buying until around November. Problem is the units that I find online and like are slowly being bought.Will dealers come down to the same "clearance" prices on 2015 models? Im interested in the Montana High Country line to tow with my 2013 F250. I see that they are 3/4 ton friendly. I will be trading and ofcourse I am upside down. Im paying down the balance a good bit before I trade. I know that I will take a hit but I wont buy if its too much of a bath.
18 REPLIES 18

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
How do I determine the "list" price?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

rsbabson
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thats good info thanks everyone. So looks like I will shoot them an offer at 40% off msrp and go from there. Also my trade balance will be down before I trade. I have been offered 17k ,23k and 28k from different dealerships. I am actually from NC but am working in Michigan right now. I am in a campground about 40 minutes from Elkhart Indiana. So I am right here where they build all of these rv's that are on thee road.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duke-44 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Duke-44 wrote:
I agree with Taken. You should always sell your unit yourself or you will get hosed right from the start. That way you will know exactly where you are on the money deal, when you start the negotiation for the new unit. You will be $1000's, not $100's, ahead on your deal.

Like I said make your best deal without a trade then start talking trade. A lot of times the fact that you don't pay tax on the traded RV will offset what you can get on the open market.

So what do you say when the salesman's first question is always, "Do you have a trade-in?". Do you lie and say, "No"?

I always like to make sure the person I am working with at the dealership feels he can trust me, also.
Even if you do some how come to an agreement on your trade, you are going to spend more money than you would by selling your own.

I sold cars and trucks for several years and there is no difference.

I would say not at this time. If you sold for several years you know what I said will net the best overall price.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you buy outright you should be able to get 30-35% off the "list" price anytime of the year if you go to the right dealer. If you are currently upside down on your present rig and you trade it in...unfortunately, things will only get worse. Why not ride it out with what you have until you can do the deal and gain some equity at the same time...Just my opinion..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:

So what do you say when the salesman's first question is always, "Do you have a trade-in?". Do you lie and say, "No"?

I just say, "I am getting comparable prices from several dealers without regard to trade in. If you're in the right ball park, we can discuss that later."

That sounds good. But, he is still going keep a trade-in factored in when he gives you a price on the unit.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

I just say, "I am getting comparable prices from several dealers without regard to trade in. If you're in the right ball park, we can discuss that later."

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Duke-44 wrote:
I agree with Taken. You should always sell your unit yourself or you will get hosed right from the start. That way you will know exactly where you are on the money deal, when you start the negotiation for the new unit. You will be $1000's, not $100's, ahead on your deal.

Like I said make your best deal without a trade then start talking trade. A lot of times the fact that you don't pay tax on the traded RV will offset what you can get on the open market.

I always like to make sure the person I am working with at the dealership feels he can trust me, also.
Even if you do some how come to an agreement on your trade, you are going to spend more money than you would by selling your own.

I sold cars and trucks for several years and there is no difference.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duke-44 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
rsbabson

I sent you a PM.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't mention your trade until the deal is done then you will know exactly what they will give you for your old RV.

Also before signing papers and the price has been agreed to tell them you want QUALITY US MADE tires as part of the deal.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, makes much more sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The way I read it, it sounded like you meant the units will start dropping (ie: arriving) at the dealers. I still think the OP could pull 30% on a 15 now. I ordered my RV in Jan of 2012. Came in March of 12 as a 2013 model year. Still got close to 30% off. RV's aren't like cars where they want to dump the previous model year come August when the new ones come in. The deals can be had anytime unless it's a beat show unit that's been on the lot for a few years. Then you get a giveaway price. Not too many units sit until then. You may just have to push a little harder earlier in the year...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
The 14's will have the best price while there still around. I think most dealers want them gone but having a few around they don't mind. If you see a good deal before November I'd grab it now if you can. 2015's won't start dropping till mid 2015.

I think you mistyped. 2015's are already everywhere. They started "dropping" around March of 14.

To the OP, the struggle is never the getting a good deal. With some negotiating, you can get 25-30% or more off the nonsense MSRP anytime. Even on ordered trailers. You problem will be trading your existing trailer. You loose a lot of your leverage when trading, no matter what time of year. I'd try selling it outright between now and Nov. You'll get a lot more for it and will be in a much better position when approaching the dealer on a new unit.

Obviously the 2015's are out now...... I said don't expect the 15 prices to be dropping like the 14's until this time next year.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

taken
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
The 14's will have the best price while there still around. I think most dealers want them gone but having a few around they don't mind. If you see a good deal before November I'd grab it now if you can. 2015's won't start dropping till mid 2015.

I think you mistyped. 2015's are already everywhere. They started "dropping" around March of 14.

To the OP, the struggle is never the getting a good deal. With some negotiating, you can get 25-30% or more off the nonsense MSRP anytime. Even on ordered trailers. You problem will be trading your existing trailer. You loose a lot of your leverage when trading, no matter what time of year. I'd try selling it outright between now and Nov. You'll get a lot more for it and will be in a much better position when approaching the dealer on a new unit.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP