cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on what LT tire to buy

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading my 2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35SS tires to 16” from 15”. Trailer has 5200 lb axles and came with ST225/75/15 tires. Please no replies for ST tires of any brand, looking at Bridgestone Duravis 238 or 250, or BFG commercial TA. Anyone have experience with these or recommend a different tire?
The sig is my old trailer, have updated but not showing up yet.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend top line Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Advice on what LT tire to buy

The BFG Commercial T/A2 is a poly carcass tire with the usual two steel plies in the tread. I've ran 4 sets on various rv and non rv trailer with no issues.

The Bridgestone R-250 is a all steel commercial grade class tire and is a step up to the holy grail for trailer tires (all steel ply carcass).

On my 11200 lb 5er with 5200 lb axles I prefer a narrow tread LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs capacity for several reasons ...mostly less side scrub forces as the trailer is backing or pulling around corners.....less rolling resistance.

Goodyear Wrangler HT
Cooper Discoverer HT-3
Firestone Transforce

These are a poly tire and All have been recommended by their mfg for trailer use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had Bridgestone 250's in a 245-75-16 on my last FW, and they were trouble free, and built like a tank.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a 13,000# trailer I ran Commercial TA for 5 years without any problems. Due to tire age, I am now switching to R250s. A slightly heavier tire (heavy is good).
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I did exactly this swap on my unit two summers ago, went with 215/85R16 as I was looking for more height to help level out my rig, if you want less height 225/75R16 is an option. I went with BFG commercial T/T tires and they have been good but don’t be afraid of other name brand highway rib tires, those just happen to be readily available to me at the time of purchase. I suspect that if you go with the r250’s or XPS ribs that they may prove to be a better tire but I’ve got zero complaints to date and mine have travelled around 25,000km’s up to now.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commercial TAs get a lot of nods even after their recall a few years back. Currently using Yokahama Geloanders on my dually. Love them, quiet, good ride, really good price. You might also look at Michelins for comparison.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a 2011 Cruiser with the same axles, I switched to the Commercial TA's. Never had a problem and put lots of miles on them. No experience with the Bridgestones. Have Yokohama Geolanders on the current unit but that was out of necessity when a factory ST failed first trip out.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos