cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Ultimate Aluminum - first tow PIREP

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I made a trial tow up the little hill just west of me today (I-70 Golden, CO to Floyd Hill - just a short run - 30 miles of 6-7% grade). The "trial run" because almost everything new except the 5er to kick off this camping season. New to me TV - '07 Ram CTD that came with a gooseneck ball installed. I bought the Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch and hooked up my '10 Laredo 245 RL.

The hitch, plus the ball to kingpin adapter puts the kingpin about 6" behind the axle, a bit further back than my '97 rode with the Valley 16k hitch but everything cleared tailgate and bed so I'm happy with that.

One little heartstopping "clunk" (aren't we all hair-triggered for "something" to go wrong on a test tow?). Apparently I did not securely latch the tailgate and it fell open with a loud clunk. Whew, minor details and deep breath! However, 5 minutes later something else clunked! Near as I can tell nothing moved or broke, so maybe the hitch just settled in or shifted on the gooseneck ball. There were no further noises or oddities on the test run.

The Andersen is noticeably tighter - no chucking, slop or movement of any kind in this hitch when compared to my Valley (which was not bad itself).

The Andersen was very easy to hook up, easy to line up and back under - just as easy as my traditional 5er hitch.

I've got a pretty steep driveway where I park my 5er, and there didn't appear to be any issues with bed clearance anywhere thru pulling out or backing in.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
41 REPLIES 41

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:

No, Poppy, I can't do anything major until I pay off my truck in five years. We looked like we had a major RV expense last fall and bought a 3 year ESA to cover it. Turned out the problem resolved itself, but we are keeping the fiver for the life of the ESA and the truck payments. So now, I have solar to install and would like to make an LP connection for the Mr Heater Buddy, plus wet bolts and SRE4000 equalizer.
As much as I would love a GD 337 or Solitude 320X, it is not happening in the near future.

I understand. Well, you have the new truck and you will love it. I looked at the SRE4000's after I went to 16" wheels on my 299RKS but traded before I got around to it. I think it will be a great improvement.

Good luck. Have a good camping season!
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy's 5th Wheel wrote:
SkiSmuggs wrote:

As one who pulled my 9500 lb fifth wheel with an F150 for 3 seasons, I have to laugh at this as I was told I was going to kill myself, my family and their family. My truck being rated to tow 11K and having a 1850 lb payload didn't change any minds. Some just have trouble adjusting to new things.

Hey SkiSmuggs, I haven't seen you post lately. I see you got your new truck. Congratulations! You're all set for your next move. Still thinking about next year?

No, Poppy, I can't do anything major until I pay off my truck in five years. We looked like we had a major RV expense last fall and bought a 3 year ESA to cover it. Turned out the problem resolved itself, but we are keeping the fiver for the life of the ESA and the truck payments. So now, I have solar to install and would like to make an LP connection for the Mr Heater Buddy, plus wet bolts and SRE4000 equalizer.
As much as I would love a GD 337 or Solitude 320X, it is not happening in the near future.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:

As one who pulled my 9500 lb fifth wheel with an F150 for 3 seasons, I have to laugh at this as I was told I was going to kill myself, my family and their family. My truck being rated to tow 11K and having a 1850 lb payload didn't change any minds. Some just have trouble adjusting to new things.

Hey SkiSmuggs, I haven't seen you post lately. I see you got your new truck. Congratulations! You're all set for your next move. Still thinking about next year?
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
According to some opinionated members here (who by the way, don't own this hitch), you are lucky you be alive, didn't have this poorly designed hitch fold like a cheap tent or drive off the road running over innocent babies and the elderly. No, your positive report will not set well with the crowd at all.

2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer

This is the pvc I use to get the hitch to the right height.

The "pin" is just in front of the rear axle. here is the set up in the bed.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
The last thing I am saying on this side track. If things are going to fail they are going to fail and nothing we can do will prevent it. What if the chains have a weak link. What if the coupling on a 5th wheel hitch fail and there is no chains to stop it.

Why do they put chains on heavy equipment going down the road? It sure ain't going to stop if the equipment starts moving it is to keep it from moving but if it starts to move them chain are going to snap and snap rather quickly.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sport45 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
If I was a LEO I would sight you for having safety chains from the adapter block verses the pin box, as the adapter is not an OEM part of the trailer. Chris

How many with travel trailers hook their safety chains directly to the tow vehicle? I'll wager not many. Almost every arrangement I've seen has them attached to the receiver. Connecting to the adapter block is no different.

Like a crystallized ball or coupler failure on bumper pulls the safety chains are to connect from the trailer frame to the vehicle beyond the draw bar components(aka tabs on the receiver body and such). The Andersen block could have a crystallized failure the same way under conditions like those that create ball or coupler failure on a bumper pull AKA like of lubrication or failure of special anti-friction component.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Scott_85 wrote:
When something is permanently mounted to the trailer or tow vehicle it becomes part of the vehicle. It would be hard to argue that the frame is part of the vehicle but the axles arenโ€™t. Hitches both bumper and gooseneck are designed to have safety chains connected to them because both become part of the vehicle once bolted or welded to the frame. In the event that safety chains are used it would be safe to assume that you are screwed and the chains are there just to stop the trailer and to keep it from becoming a projectile down the interstate.

Right. And even if the set screws come loose the Andersen adapter block is not going to be coming off the trailer's pin as long as either of the through-bolts are still in place.

The Andersen safety chain arrangement seems to meet all the necessary requirements IMHO.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
Shepherd wrote:
Very interesting I have never owned a fifthwheel with safety chains.:h

It has to do with the 'coupler'. Many States say that with a ball coupler safety chains are required. Since it is so easy to attach the chains I do it automatically.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
Cause it isn't a 5th wheel with the Andersen

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting I have never owned a fifthwheel with safety chains.:h
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
When something is permanently mounted to the trailer or tow vehicle it becomes part of the vehicle. It would be hard to argue that the frame is part of the vehicle but the axles arenโ€™t. Hitches both bumper and gooseneck are designed to have safety chains connected to them because both become part of the vehicle once bolted or welded to the frame. In the event that safety chains are used it would be safe to assume that you are screwed and the chains are there just to stop the trailer and to keep it from becoming a projectile down the interstate.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
If I was a LEO I would sight you for having safety chains from the adapter block verses the pin box, as the adapter is not an OEM part of the trailer. Chris

How many with travel trailers hook their safety chains directly to the tow vehicle? I'll wager not many. Almost every arrangement I've seen has them attached to the receiver. Connecting to the adapter block is no different.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris, are you an LEO?

First time I have ever heard a comment like that concerning the Andersen chain kit. That's not a home brew chain kit...

Just wondering really, I've read several states regs and never...ever... Read anything similar to what you wrote concerning safety chains and their mounting on the trailer.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~