cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Ultimate Aluminum - first tow PIREP

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I made a trial tow up the little hill just west of me today (I-70 Golden, CO to Floyd Hill - just a short run - 30 miles of 6-7% grade). The "trial run" because almost everything new except the 5er to kick off this camping season. New to me TV - '07 Ram CTD that came with a gooseneck ball installed. I bought the Andersen Ultimate aluminum hitch and hooked up my '10 Laredo 245 RL.

The hitch, plus the ball to kingpin adapter puts the kingpin about 6" behind the axle, a bit further back than my '97 rode with the Valley 16k hitch but everything cleared tailgate and bed so I'm happy with that.

One little heartstopping "clunk" (aren't we all hair-triggered for "something" to go wrong on a test tow?). Apparently I did not securely latch the tailgate and it fell open with a loud clunk. Whew, minor details and deep breath! However, 5 minutes later something else clunked! Near as I can tell nothing moved or broke, so maybe the hitch just settled in or shifted on the gooseneck ball. There were no further noises or oddities on the test run.

The Andersen is noticeably tighter - no chucking, slop or movement of any kind in this hitch when compared to my Valley (which was not bad itself).

The Andersen was very easy to hook up, easy to line up and back under - just as easy as my traditional 5er hitch.

I've got a pretty steep driveway where I park my 5er, and there didn't appear to be any issues with bed clearance anywhere thru pulling out or backing in.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
41 REPLIES 41

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scott_85 wrote:

If I was a LEO I would sight you for having safety chains from the adapter block verses the pin box, as the adapter is not an OEM part of the trailer. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cutty72
Explorer
Explorer
I have the steel Andersen and love it! Didn't know they came out with an aluminum version...

As for the adapter, I have it toward the front, thus pushing the kingpin back as far as possible, and could not get by with it flipped. As it is, I have about 1/2" of clearance between lowered tailgate and camper.

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the chains to hold the pvc pipe to measure the hitch height prior to hooking up.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
I also use chains but connect them reversed from your setup. I found it easier to put the permanent connection on the B&W safety chain hooks then just snap the big hook up to the adapter bar. When not in use the chain just lays on the truck bed. Either way works just fine.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
As for the locking mech I can see it from the mirrors so I can look at it every minute going down the road to be sure it stays locked. So far I've traveled 5000 miles without an issue from flat interstate to one lane mountain roads and I couldn't be happier. I also went with the safety chains just to be safe.

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I have my adapter rotated because my 5er is for a short bed and the pin box would hit the tailgate if it went the other way. I heading camping this weekend and I will post a picture when I hook up.

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
So far so good for me. My 5ver weighs 19,100 lbs. I've noticed a couple things. When disconnecting with my old standard hitch, I used to have to back into the hitch to reduce pressure on the jaws. With the Andersen I just lift it up. In attaching I back the ball to the hitch adapter on the king pin. that also aligns the horizontal location. Lift up for clearance. Then go straight back a few inches to the receptical. I use my wife for that.

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious to see how well this hitch style holds up to the heavier GVWR campers.

I like the concept, but was turned off when I read the warranty section at the end of the installation pdf, so I'm not sure I am willing to give it a try.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
I have to admit, it does look a little 'Mickey Mouse' but someone has to be the lab rat. Good luck with it...keep posting updates as you travel more.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
According to some opinionated members here (who by the way, don't own this hitch), you are lucky you be alive, didn't have this poorly designed hitch fold like a cheap tent or drive off the road running over innocent babies and the elderly. No, your positive report will not set well with the crowd at all.

You'll notice those same line of statements with anything new and vastly different posted here on the forum.

:h just wondering if perhaps some are getting so set in their ways that they absolutely refuse to acknowledge new ideas as being worthy of any consideration.

This hitch and the bumper connect automated safety hitch (link here if not familiar with the item in question) seem to draw the most negative comments.

And most comments indicate the poster has no actual knowledge of the product.

But it is new, so it has to be bad seems to be the general conclusion.

Onto subject at hand, glad your testing went fine for you. Hope you enjoy many miles of trouble free towing with the new hitch.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
That's a slick deal... I've never seen one. Looks a lot lighter than a 5er hitch. I've always traded my extended pin boxes for the shorter boxes and it makes a big difference in the 5er frame flexing so I would also say to put the pin ahead of the ball and see if everything else clears. BTW, I lived just south of Standley Lake on Jellison Ct. before we moved here and going up to the Genesee exit was my test track when I had my 97 CTD.
Is your 07 the 5.9 or the 6.7? Craig

Hi Craig! I'm near 58th and Indiana.

Mine is the new aluminum version - 32 lbs. The steel version is 70 lbs, I believe.

My '07 is the last of the 5.9 ... I just sold my '97 5.9 last weekend. I had a PacBrake on it, and a PacBrake is going to be the first $$ spent on this '07. Don't realize how nice they are until you don't have it.

Our "little test run hill" wrings out the bugs, for sure! I discovered this 07 has the same issue my '97 did - I run into EGT limits before I run out of throttle. My Cummins guru keeps telling me I need a set of his twin turbos to really make towing fun ... I've put him off long enough that he now has built a set of triple turbos that he keeps making me drool over every time I go into his shop. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since the '07 is a 6 speed manual vs the 4 speed auto on the '97, at least I have more gear choices to keep the speed up and EGTs within reasonable range.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is below the rails also. The flip changes the pivot point on the box so it can rotate within the bed without hitting the sides. Normally my 36" box had a 30" tail behind the king pin. 2x30=60" and thus sidewall danger. With the flip its a 24" tail and 2x24=48" and I'm clear.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
In my case the pin box is below the bed rails. Even at that I have 8.5" clearance from the overhang to the bed rails. But since the pin box was below the bed rails I was going to have interference to the sides of the truck bed.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
If you reverse the adapter it moves the 5er eight inches toward the cab and does indeed solve any bed rail clearance issue. Depending on the sculpted corner carveouts of the 5er nose, if you need to negate some of the 8" move because you are to close to cab in a 90deg turn, then you can change your flipball to a Curt (or BW) offset ball. The offset ball moves the bed ball back 4" toward the tailgate, so basically, the adapter flip moves the 5er forward 8" and the offset ball moves it back 4".

Effectively this moves the pivot point in enough to clear bedrail issues.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States