Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anderson Ultimate Hitch WARNING ***WARNING

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer
Email between me and Anderson Customer Service:

Jim,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to our Ultimate Connection Hitch and due to some flex in the bed of the truck we have changed the torque sequence on the base of the hitch to ensure it is snug when towing.

Place base over gooseneck ball and pin to the gooseneck ball
Tighten upper bolt to 50 ft.lbs of torque
Lower Trailer onto pyramid base (prior to tightening the two lower set bolts)
Re-torque the top bolt to 50 ft.lbs in case any flex of the base or bed came into play.
Tighten the lower two set bolts on the coupler tube to 40 ft. lbs.

Thanks,

Dave.

On 2015-10-07 13:36, Jim Cummings wrote:
Recentlly I read that Anderson revised the torque sequence on the
untimate hitch? Same as before but torque top bolt again after
connecting trailor?

True?

Jim Cummings
36 REPLIES 36

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
This has come up previously. I tried it the last time I hooked up my 5er and it made no difference after putting the pin weight on the hitch. That is why I ask. If you have a rubber matt I could see the need to re-torque, but IMO its not needed otherwise. My pin weight is 2Klb dry so maybe some heavier pin weights may see a benefit.

And this needs to be removed form 4-6: "You are now ready to attach your 5th wheel trailer to the base unit". Trailer already gets attached in 4-4...

This and This are reason I prefer a hitch that attaches at four points to the FRAME. :S

Having the weight of your fivers pin being carried on the sheet metal floor of the bed has just never seemed like a good idea to me.

I don't buy the argument that the GN Ball adapter carries the weight, when torquing the hold down bolt to 50# to 60#, you are lifting up on the ball adapter, and pressing the hitch into the bed.

Ugh... Here we go again
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
This has come up previously. I tried it the last time I hooked up my 5er and it made no difference after putting the pin weight on the hitch. That is why I ask. If you have a rubber matt I could see the need to re-torque, but IMO its not needed otherwise. My pin weight is 2Klb dry so maybe some heavier pin weights may see a benefit.

And this needs to be removed form 4-6: "You are now ready to attach your 5th wheel trailer to the base unit". Trailer already gets attached in 4-4...

This and This are reason I prefer a hitch that attaches at four points to the FRAME. :S

Having the weight of your fivers pin being carried on the sheet metal floor of the bed has just never seemed like a good idea to me.

I don't buy the argument that the GN Ball adapter carries the weight, when torquing the hold down bolt to 50# to 60#, you are lifting up on the ball adapter, and pressing the hitch into the bed.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer
Got sprayed in bed liner, my utimate has moved 1/2 while towing

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I have a rubber mat under mine. When I asked if that was ok or a problem, Andersen basically said "That's great!" 🙂 However, there have been a few times where I've gotten a pretty significant, startling CLUNK 10 minutes into a trip after reinstalling the hitch. I'm going to give this new installation and torque sequence a try.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer

face_down
Explorer
Explorer
From their online PDF instructions...

4-2. Place the pin through the lower coupler sleeve under the gooseneck ball and secure it in place with the hairpin clip. Push the entire base forward towards the cab of the truck until it will not go any further.

4-3. Using a 15/16" socket wrench, tighten the top bolt of the square coupler to 50 ft-lbs of torque. This will ensure that the coupler is pulling up on the gooseneck ball and holding the ultimate connection firmly to the bed of the truck.

4-4. Line up the King Pin Coupler above the Ultimate Ball and place the full weight of your trailer onto the ball. Secure the Coupler Block by using the remote latch and then locking the remote handle in place (see previous page).

4-5. IMPORTANT Now RETIGHTEN the top bolt to 50 ft-lbs of torque (see step 4-3 above). This takes up any extra slack from the Ultimate base.

4-6. Using a 15/16" socket wrench, tighten the two square coupler set bolts to 40 ft-lbs of torque to take out any play in the tube. DONE. You are now ready to attach your 5th wheel trailer
to the base unit
2016 Keystone Carbon 357
2006 Ford F350 4X4 CC/LB/DRW (aka Big Sexy)
Reese 20K Goose Box - Draw-Tite Remove-a-Ball

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Why???

U have a rubber bed mat?