cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another one bites the dust. Grand Design

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sold to the highest bidder. Winnebago Ind. Too bad, they had a good thing going from what I read.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/10/winnebago-industries-to-acquire-grand-design/
33 REPLIES 33

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
So it's just a merger with both companies doing business as usual except they will likely see cost savings on both side by combining purchases and administrative functions. Likely some salaried positions will be eliminated.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago will change it to rip as much profit as possible from it which will ultimately make what was a nice towable just like the rest while they live off the name for years. Winnebago has already proven they have no idea what their doing in the towable market with their current offerings. Sad
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
They were the only "Scraps" left over from Thor and Forest River after they gobbled up everything else
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Sold to the highest bidder. Winnebago Ind. Too bad, they had a good thing going from what I read.
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/10/winnebago-industries-to-acquire-grand-design/

Not sold to highest bidder either.

There was no auction or other bidders, in fact, there were no bids. It was a strategic move on both parties.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm certainly not saying Winnebago can't or won't screw it up but what would be the point in buying a successful, profitable company with the idea of shutting it down? A company that is successful in an area that you are weak in. So they can help clear the field for the likes of Thor, Forest River etc? What?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
IdaD wrote:
It looks to me like Grand Design will continue to operate as an independent brand under Winnebago's ownership. That's not an uncommon scenario in the business world.

Winnebago's ownership is the key! They may be set up as an independent operation, but sooner or later the accounts will show up, trying to justify their existence and will start questioning every expenditure ! Without the original top management many things get lost, such as outstanding Customer Service, covering bad parts after warrenty expire's , you know little things like that, that built the company's reputation!

You hit the nail on the head!!! There is no such thing as an independent subsidiary.
Rarely does a merger/acquisition end up benefiting the consumer. I expect if profits are not what Wini feels they should be, the product will be cheapened, and/or the price raised, or GD will quietly disappear from the marketplace (IOW, if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em and close them down).
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
grampscamper wrote:
Not at all surprised. I told my dealer a few months ago this would happen.

You predicted Winnebago would buy Grand Design? Wow... can you PM me with the next prediction? I'd like to make some investments.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Buy yours now before the bean counters take control of production
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My GD is no better than my previous FR products. They said that they go through several inspections but still quite a few things "slipped" by.
What GD is good at is customer service and since I paid a premium for my GD over comparable FR products it wasn't free either.

I hope they hold true to their current plans and values but am not counting on it.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
I bought a 2017 GD Imagine 2800BH in July and have yet to have any issue. But I have emailed questions to GD directly MANY times (before and after purchase) and always received a prompt accurate response. I cannot say that for any previous trailers brands I've had, except Triton.

The GD owner forum is also very good and focused, but you do pay to play.

Regarding the sale; reading between the lines its clear they will let GD manufacturing continue as is but their white collar jobs may be combined, possibly moved, and I bet that will mean a few lost jobs. How could they not do this having paid that enormous purchase price.

I loved the fact the GD was not under some big parent name and was bursting at the seams with sales, free to design trailers as they see fit. Now, some of that luster instantly fades even if reality is nothing changed and there are bigger rooms of people who have to approve new designs and improvements. That's not good.

Heck. If nothing else, perception has changed, and not for the better.

Well said !

x2
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are on the fence about a different RV in a couple years. Lots of time for things to change of course. Grand Design, Outdoor RV and Northwood are our current favorites. I've had the same customer service satisfaction as those at Grand Design while being a Northwood owner. I've been able to talk one on one with the tech guys. They've sent me parts 3 times so I could repair things myself. Even did some trouble shooting over the phone. I see the same thing happening at GD. IMO that's one of the top priorities that I like. They both build great trailers. Not having to deal with incompetent dealers is a blessing. I hope that GD can continue as is.
Winnebago would be smart to them alone.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
I bought a 2017 GD Imagine 2800BH in July and have yet to have any issue. But I have emailed questions to GD directly MANY times (before and after purchase) and always received a prompt accurate response. I cannot say that for any previous trailers brands I've had, except Triton.

Regarding the sale; reading between the lines its clear they will let GD manufacturing continue as is but their white collar jobs may be combined, possibly moved, and I bet that will mean a few lost jobs. How could they not do this having paid that enormous purchase price.

I loved the fact the GD was not under some big parent name and was bursting at the seams with sales, free to design trailers as they see fit. Now, some of that luster instantly fades even if reality is nothing changed and there are bigger rooms of people who have to approve new designs and improvements. That's not good.

Well said !

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer

Justaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just like the auto makers. If you can't beat 'em - buy'em.