cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Question for the Re-Rv'er!

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you know that we have just bought "another" RV after selling ours back in 2007. I cried for months after selling the 1994 Carri-Lite Emerald. I never forget the memories and the good times and I think DH and I both missed the ability to just "hook up and go"!

Nonetheless - we found another 5'ver that I have fallen in love with. A 2004 Gulfstream Yellowstone 30fsk. It is in immaculate condition to say the least.

My question is, the dealership is offering an extended warranty for 4 years for about $1900. A $50 deductible, but if repairs are made at the dealership, no deductible. It seems to pretty much cover everything.

So, now the big question.....for those of you that have purchased a used RV, did YOU take out the extended warranty and are you glad you did or not? Talk to us about this....do you think it is worth it or not?
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC
8 REPLIES 8

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I have made this comment in the past, several times, and people have gotten upset at me!? An extended warranty is very profitable, for the dealer. Occasionally you will find someone who only paid $69 for an extended warranty and had over $10,000 in repairs done! But if true very very rare, I used to work for a very reputable company as a sales manager. I got 100% commission on extended warranty's sold, the company considered them 100% profit! So my advice would be to decline that warranty take the $1,900 and put it into a cd or something earning interest, and only use it if something catastrophic happens and you need repairs! Bet you dinner at Mickey "D's" you will be ahead of the game after the 5 years!

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our 5er in March we DID choose to get the Good Sam extended coverage. Although I consider myself somewhat handy, there are major items like ACs, refrigerator, slideout mechanisms, etc. that I am NOT handy with. So, our logic was that until the 5er proved itself to be reliable we had the safety net of the warranty. We have not had to use it, so I probably won't renew it. The peace of mind has sure been nice, though.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you and your Hubby are handy - I'd say save your money. When we bought our Class C, they offered an extended warranty - but as I looked into it, there were so many loopholes and requirements and hoops that had to be jumped through - that we said no to it's $1500 cost. In hindsight, that was brilliant because our out-of-pocket repairs have been a whopping $325.

And one would hope that most of the bugs have been worked out on a nicely-cared-for used 5er? (That's what I'm hoping on our 2003 Laredo...LOL!)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
DH is pretty handy - under my supervision of course~!!:) However, we had pretty much decided against it, but wanted to ask you all your opinion.

Thanks again - Extended Warranty - OUT!
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X2 no warranty if you are handy

Take a look at this website www.rv-dreams.com they have a discussion on extended warranties, plus they have become sales reps for a company that offers a good RV warranty due to their own experiences.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
;;just another way for them to make money off you. I personally would tell them I wasn't interested, but that's just me....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
a warrenty is words on a peice of paper.get in writting in that warrenty if i bring it to you it will get repaired within a certain amount of days.if not it will be on the lot for 30-90 days.is time that you dont have the unit worth it to you.

Dogbone
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends how handy you are, I don't take it because I fix almost everything my self, on a 5th wheel there is less to go wrong than a motorhome.
2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250