cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another tire damage thread

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Not trailer tires. My truck tires. These are BFG Rugged Terrain, 275/70-18E. Threw the tread right off one of the rears. Did not deflate, but trashed the side of my bed. Felt something wrong with the ride, and even stopped and inspected the tires, and checked the lug nuts. Could not see a thing externally to suggest a loose tread. Back on freeway and it was only a couple of miles before it let go. Only had less than 20k miles and they had just been balanced and rotated 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I was not towing at the time. Truck goes in for surgery on Monday.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
39 REPLIES 39

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
ikoolu wrote:
i had the same thing happen 3 years ago did 6 k in damage to the truck -tore the******out of the fender, bumper, etc- never again went with goodyear silent armors

also just lost tire on 5 ef were lt rated e tires - again torn the******out of the 5er- replaced with 12 play sl tires

but the best and save a lot of grief

Wow. Others here swear by LT E rated tires. Goes to show that flats can occur with any tire.

BFG started producing faulty Commercial T/A LT E tires for some reason as indicated by the recall and as several BFG Commercial tire users have reported.
We simply don't see all LT tire brands failing at the rate the defective BFG Commercials have the last 1-2 years.

The tire industry has never produced a LT tire that won't go flat.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:
The last 6 BFG All terrain T/A tires I bought were all replaced due to tread separation. I have been told the last 10,000 miles of wear is the worst. None of my tires were on the recall.

Were these on your TV?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
The last 6 BFG All terrain T/A tires I bought were all replaced due to tread separation. I have been told the last 10,000 miles of wear is the worst. None of my tires were on the recall.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ikoolu wrote:
i had the same thing happen 3 years ago did 6 k in damage to the truck -tore the******out of the fender, bumper, etc- never again went with goodyear silent armors

also just lost tire on 5 ef were lt rated e tires - again torn the******out of the 5er- replaced with 12 play sl tires

Wow. Others here swear by LT E rated tires. Goes to show that flats can occur with any tire.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

ikoolu
Explorer
Explorer

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
You guys do know Michelin has a recall on the LT235/85 and LT245/75 BFG Commercial T/A and the same sister Uniroyal Lerado HD-H tire in the '08 to '10 era.

April 2010 to mid-2012 to be exact
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Someone commented on BFG. I agree that BFG is not the quality that they used to be. I see lots of complaints about them not holding balance or tread shifting. Seems to me like Michelin is bleeding them out.

You guys do know Michelin has a recall on the LT235/85 and LT245/75 BFG Commercial T/A and the same sister Uniroyal Lerado HD-H tire in the '08 to '10 era.

I see BFG has a new Commercial T/A AS2.

Like the Goodyear G614 in the late '00s and the Goodyear Wrangler HT in the early '00s BFG will get the bugs worked out. They had a excellent reliability record for 15 years before the recalls.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
ReneeG wrote:
...Claiming against the comprehensive never makes your insurance go up and it's the best value for the money. They won't cover the actual causing tire, but will anything damaged as a result around it.

I didn't expect them to cover the tire, but was surprised that they wrote up a new tire in the estimate, including mounting and balancing costs. The shop has already ordered the new tire. It is possible they will kick that back on me when the claim is closed. I'm sort of half expecting that, but if I have to pay for a tire that won't be a big deal to me. I think they are covering it because they expect BFG to be picking up the tab.

Someone commented on BFG. I agree that BFG is not the quality that they used to be. I see lots of complaints about them not holding balance or tread shifting. Seems to me like Michelin is bleeding them out.
2006 F250 Diesel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
So the tires have been under the 5th wheel trailer and you moved them to the truck ??

No. Just meant they were on the rear of the truck carrying the fiver pin.

garyp4951 wrote:

I have the same tires, and yesterday noticed some vibrations, so I better check mine out.
Thanks for the post.

Yeah, I sure would recommend getting them checked. Wonder if they will find anything. If they do please let us know how it goes.

I'm worried about my other three. I've already got a replacement for the failure, and it looks like insurance is going to give me one more which I will use on opposite side rear to match. I'll feel better having two new ones under the weight of the pin. BFG has not responded yet, but lengthy report has been filed and the failed tire shipped to them for inspection. Not holding my breathe. But I hope my insurance company will go after them.

Good for you on reporting and shipping the tire. That's what everyone experiencing a premature tire problem on towables should be doing in order to establish criteria. Comprehensive insurance is the best you can get. When a tire separated on our fiver, our insurance adjuster told me to have the best comprehensive value for the lowest deductible. Claiming against the comprehensive never makes your insurance go up and it's the best value for the money. They won't cover the actual causing tire, but will anything damaged as a result around it.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how much damage a tire blowing out can cause.

Tire blowing and tire separating are two different things. This was separation, would have looked completely different if it was a blow out.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFG seems to be having some problems keep their caps from blow off.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I have the same tires, and yesterday noticed some vibrations, so I better check mine out.
Thanks for the post.

Please post your findings. I would take them to a dealer and have them checked. My Commercial T/A's on my truck developed a small vibration on the rear and quickly grew worse.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
So the tires have been under the 5th wheel trailer and you moved them to the truck ??

No. Just meant they were on the rear of the truck carrying the fiver pin.

garyp4951 wrote:

Thanks for the post.

Yeah, I sure would recommend getting them checked. Wonder if they will find anything. If they do please let us know how it goes.

I'm worried about my other three. I've already got a replacement for the failure, and it looks like insurance is going to give me one more which I will use on opposite side rear to match. I'll feel better having two new ones under the weight of the pin. BFG has not responded yet, but lengthy report has been filed and the failed tire shipped to them for inspection. Not holding my breathe. But I hope my insurance company will go after them.
2006 F250 Diesel

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
bpounds wrote:
Not trailer tires. My truck tires. These are BFG Rugged Terrain, 275/70-18E. Threw the tread right off one of the rears. Did not deflate, but trashed the side of my bed. Felt something wrong with the ride, and even stopped and inspected the tires, and checked the lug nuts. Could not see a thing externally to suggest a loose tread. Back on freeway and it was only a couple of miles before it let go. Only had less than 20k miles and they had just been balanced and rotated 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I was not towing at the time. Truck goes in for surgery on Monday.

Thanks for the post.