cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on 2 inch drop shackles for my truck

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to try dropping the rear of my new to me 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LTZ. I either have to raise my 5th wheel or lower my truck in order to tow level and to obtain more clearance between truck and 5th wheel. I do not haul heavy loads in the truck other than a load of mulch maybe once a year. It was purchased with the intent of pulling my 5th wheel now and any new 5th wheel in the future.

I was researching what is involved and it seems the most difficult portion of this is removing my hitch to install these shackles.

Now my question is what brand to purchase? I have found prices at Auto Zone at $30 bucks or so up to $150.

Two name brands that came up are Belltech and Mcgaughys.

I have no clue what brand or if the no name brand from Auto Zone are good and SAFE. I'm not against paying for what is best but I also do not want to pay for what is not needed. Safety first please!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
10 REPLIES 10

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought 2" drop shackles for my truck, and installed correct track on my trailer for another 2", my setup is level. I did install Airlift bags and a wireless compressor to keep everything where I want it, towing or empty. I will never understand why these new truck beds are so high, it makes towing level a task. I had my trailer close without any modification, (only hitch adjustment) but I like a level truck all the time so I leveled it with shackles.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

Just got back from having the new shackles installed. I ordered the Mcgaughys online for $100 and paid a local shop another $100 to install them.

I took the truck straight to my RV and I now have just a hair over 6 inches of bed rail clearance. The RV Tech I use will now install my hitch and adjust so I will not be running nose high. He is confident there is enough adjustment in the hitch and pin box to maintain the clearance and keep me close to level.

I also found out that Forest River sells a lift kit for my 5th wheel for less than $200. The dealer said it is about 4 hours of labor to install it around $250 or so. When I started to investigate this they would only install a factory authorized lift kit due to liability. I found that to be the case almost everywhere I checked.

I will give an update on how things turn out once I get the hitch installed.

Thanks!

Dave

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do realize that since your hitch is mounted to the bed, dropping the rear(bed) the pin box will still be in the same position in relation to the bed rails.

Jim

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Our truck dropped 2"
chevman

I also had a request to WRV about doing a new deal for our new yet built 35 ft alpenlite to be higher than normal but not the over the spring set up. They installed the Leland Jake adjustable spring hangers so we had 2 firsts. Truck went down 2" and the alpenlite went up maybe 1/3/4". Then it was a working setup and is at this time working great for us. Hitting the road the 1st for another 6 months in Az.

chevman 😄
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck dropped 2"
chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Brodie3Az wrote:
Little confused in what all you are attempting to accomplish.

You want to tow level. Is the trailer high? What change in height will level the trailer?

You want to increase clearance. How much clearance are you wanting to add? Drop the pinbox by this amount.

Add these two amounts together for total suspension adjustment.

You will need to realign your headlights since the truck will probably ride nose high.

I have between 31/2 and 4 inches of clearance between truck side rail and 5th wheel right now. I want to get 6 or more inches.

This truck is high in the rear end. I could drop it 2 to 3 inches and then it would be level.

My pin box is already at the lowest setting and my hitch is at the highest. I know that regardless of the bed clearance my 5th wheel will be riding nose high.

Brodie3Az
Explorer
Explorer
Little confused in what all you are attempting to accomplish.

You want to tow level. Is the trailer high? What change in height will level the trailer?

You want to increase clearance. How much clearance are you wanting to add? Drop the pinbox by this amount.

Add these two amounts together for total suspension adjustment.

You will need to realign your headlights since the truck will probably ride nose high.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
j2catfish wrote:
I bought my 4 inchshackles from J.C. Whitney; I do not recall the price I paid but I thought it was reasonable. I did not have to remove my hitch to install them. The only problem was the shackle bolts were installed backwards, i.e. the bolt heads were closer to the inside of the bed and could not be removed with out cutting some metal from the bed seam. I suspect that the bolts were installed in that direction to ensure that they would be retained if the nuts worked their way off. When I replaced the bolts, I installed the nuts inboard, much easier that way. I do check them each time I change the oil. I guess the professional way to secure them would be to drill the nuts and safety wire them, but this ain't aircraft maintenance any more. Check my truck description in my sig.

OP here,

Did you lower by 4 inches? Was your truck level? I did see one 3 inch shackle set but thought that my to much.

Anyone else have an opinion on 2 3 or 4 inch shackles?

Thanks!

Dave

j2catfish
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 4 inchshackles from J.C. Whitney; I do not recall the price I paid but I thought it was reasonable. I did not have to remove my hitch to install them. The only problem was the shackle bolts were installed backwards, i.e. the bolt heads were closer to the inside of the bed and could not be removed with out cutting some metal from the bed seam. I suspect that the bolts were installed in that direction to ensure that they would be retained if the nuts worked their way off. When I replaced the bolts, I installed the nuts inboard, much easier that way. I do check them each time I change the oil. I guess the professional way to secure them would be to drill the nuts and safety wire them, but this ain't aircraft maintenance any more. Check my truck description in my sig.
K3500; Teton Homes 5er;
Native Texan - Transplanted Tar Heel
Retired USMC Mustang (LDO)
Semper Fi !

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We had the 1st bell tech longer rear shackles made for our 2001 3500 2wd chev. I was after GM for several months before they asked Bell tech to build something.

I still have the original shackles and no reason to keep them because we don't have that truck now. We had the chev store install ours. A little shudder on take off if you hit it hard but a normal take off it didn't . Not a problem at any time for us. Our 05 came the same rear height as the 2001 after it was lowered.
chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110