cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone mount a geny to the hitch?

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of putting a generator on a "tray" using the hitch on the back of thr 5er. Any thoughts?
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
20 REPLIES 20

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a tray that carried a decent sized gas grill on the bumper of our TT. Probably about the same as carrying a generator.

I found that it was far more trouble than it was worth. It never really felt secure or safe to me. And I spent a lot of time worrying about it while traveling.

There are to many ways for a mishap to occur with that set up, that could ruin a trip. Not a good solution in my opinion.

I now carry my grill in the back of my suburban.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
My generator sits on a cargo carrier in a frame mounted reliever hitch on the back of our fiver along with some firewood. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always thought about doing something similar but the thought of someone stealing my generator when it was left unattended at the camp grounds always made me think that it would not be a good idea.

My generator sits secured in the tailgate corner of my truck bed under a lockable heavy plastic folding bed cover. When I need to use the generator I just pull it out onto the opened tailgate. It stays out-of-sight and out-of-mind until I need to use it and most important to me my generator goes where I go.

I would worry myself sick everytime I would leave the generator unattended if it was installed out in the open on my Trailer.

Just something to think about...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I fabbed up my own heavy bumper just for the genny.
Click here for pics
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy mounted a generator on the front hitch of his dad's fifth wheel. Then he built a gas tank, tested it for leaks and plumbed it all in.

You can loosen and bolt on some brackets to the front hitch mount, then fabricate something that will bolt on to the hitch.

The hitch itself is normally tempered steel, and you should not be welding to the hitch.

As for the rear bumper, normally that is not as strong, but that can vary with the manufacture. Some can barely support the weight of the drain hose inside the hitch, while some can tow a car with the factory bumper.

And how heavy for the generator.

Some recommend a pair of 2000 watt 47 pound generators connected together. This will run the A/C and have power to spare, in a light weight package.

Mayberrys.com

When I have a motorhome built, I would prefer a Honda water cooled generator - they make 2, 4,500 and 6,500 watts. Those are fed from the main gas tank on a gas powered RV. They could be fed from a fuel tank mounted to the frame of almost any RV, if you add the tank, say from a junkyard car or truck.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
How big?