cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Use Power Service Cetane Boost

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on a blog or two that using Power Service Cetane Boost helps diesel trucks run better. Anyone here use it? Does it work like they claim? Is it worth using on a 2012 F250 or just on older trucks? I know that watching my speed and not having a lead foot is the best way to get good gas mileage, but I'm still looking for any way to squeeze out an extra MPG or two.
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu
60 REPLIES 60

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
when I bought my used 05 Cummins Ram it had 22k on the clock. It immediately started an intermittant problem of a very very rough idle on start up. This problem caused me to take it to the dealer for service where they replaced two injectors. It continuted to do it occasionally. The problem would go away after a very rough idle for probably 30 seconds. It did this when the engine was hot or cold.

I started using Power Service in the gray bottle and the problem went away after the first tank full never to return again. This has been 4 years ago. I believe in this product and have used it every fill up since then.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
OK...

Post trip experience using PS Gray bottle.
I added 18 oz to 36 gallons of petroleum diesel before departing.

Just installed shocks on the truck.
Had front of the TV aligned.
80 lbs in the trailer tires.
Hauled maybe 20 gallons of clear water.

Climbing up I-80 to Reno we were holding 55 most of the way in 6th gear.
Normally downshifting is required in a few spots to stay above 50 mph.

Filled the truck in Susanville before pulling up and over to the lake.
Last time up there at 202 miles we took 24 gallons to full.
This trip at 204 miles the truck took 20.39 gallons of fuel.

Added another 10 oz of Power Service at the pump.
I checked under the hood while we camped and found the truck oil level down a quart and topped up.
The air filter gauge was in the red also so I changed that.
On the trip home we averaged 13.4 mpg and of course 35% of the distance is downhill.
I was quite surprised we held 55 mph from Truckee to Castle Peak in 6th!
It's usually 45\50 mph in the truck lane sitting in 5th gear.

Overall the Cummins seemed as though it struggled much less towing our usual estimated weight.

Next trip out I'll make sure everything is topped so I can get a little better comparison with PS.

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
The only fuel additive that actually improved fuel economy in my trucks is the Motorcraft product and that was in my 6.0 psd.

My '12 6.7 psd it doesn't seem to improve fuel economy on a already steller fuel economy performer as is.

When it come to increasing MPG, I don't think that is the purpose or claim of most fuel additives. The purpose is to add additional lubrication to the low sulfer fuels. I use the opti lube products on my Duramax and of course I see no measurable results, only faith that it is doing what it was designed to do.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 01 7.3 PSD and use it pretty regular. I am pretty anal about checking my mpg per fillup and it does help on lubricity and mpg, a little about .5 mpg but it helps the injectors and the vehicle needs the extra lubricity.

Wiley75
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
After all this discussion I will not own a Ford Diesel. If ford could not design its new engine to function with our current fuel,since they started with a clean sheet after the reduced sulfur, then they did not use thier big brain power to its fullest. JMHO.

I think you are mis-interpreting what it says in the Ford owner's manual. Nowhere have they said that their 6.7 liter engine cannot operate on the standard ULSD that you and I purchase at the pump every day. Their comment in the manual (note it says CAN not MUST) is just a way to sell Motorcraft brand cetane improver and anti-gelling additives. They want a piece of that business rather than giving it to Power Service, Howes, etc.

Similar example. My Honda dealer tried to sell me injector cleaning and a new timing belt at 30K miles on my Accord, even though the manual says to change the timing belt at 105K miles. Does that make the Honda engine a poor design? Uh.... No. It means they are trying to sell parts and service to folks who do not know any better. This is not really rocket science here folks.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
After all this discussion I will not own a Ford Diesel. If ford could not design its new engine to function with our current fuel,since they started with a clean sheet after the reduced sulfur, then they did not use thier big brain power to its fullest. JMHO.

It is not Ford. They designed what I think could be a very good motor.

The German company Bosch is the culprit here. Ford and GM both wanted horsepower honors with their Powerstroke/Duramax engines and Bosch sold both high pressure fuel pumps that could produce such power.

BUT Bosch fumbled in that they built the pump to meet European diesel fuel standards, which are better than the hogslop diesel we have here in the U.S.

Mind you, before someone starts talking price differences US versus Europe in diesel fuel, Canada has the same diesel standards as Europe. And Canadian diesel price is not a huge amount higher than ours.

I say blame whoever had a role in setting such poor standards for the U.S.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

RV_wanderer
Explorer
Explorer
I use Diesel Kleen (grey bottle) occasionally, not on every fill-up. Not sure if I notice a difference in operation but I figure a little can't hurt. Certainly hasn't caused any harm as stated by a previous respondent (fuel gelling).

BTW, the owner's manual for my 2007 Dodge diesel says that fuel additives aren't recommended or required.
"Not all who wander are lost"

2008 3500 RAM/Cummins
2007 NuWa FW, 29'

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use PS cetane boost then switched to Opti Lube and like it. As far as fule mileage improver, can't say, but the evidence of the increased lubricity is worth it as stated the ULSF has changed the need, especially with older trucks.
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
retired-tech wrote:
per ford use as much cetane boost as you like but not anything with anti gel. the anti gel works weird with the wax in the fuel. the higher the cetane the better the burn.

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that from Ford. Anti-gel additives are okay, and maybe even necessary. However, Ford says to not use any additive with alcohol. Since alcohol disperses into water and fuel, it will cause water in the fuel to pass through the filters and will damage the injectors. Some old style anti-gel additives were mostly alcohol, but I'm not aware that any of those even exist these days. All the manufacturers are pretty clear about no water and no alcohol allowed. No dispersants allowed. The goal is to separate water out, not disperse it into the fuel.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time since I've purchased an new truck, but I think when you buy a new Ford diesel truck, you have to sign a document that acknowledges your understanding of certain maintenance requirements and modification prohibitions in order to maintain the factory warranty.

For the 2012 Ford diesel that the OP has, that document says this:

Ford 6.7L Power Strokeยฎ Diesel Operating, Maintenance & Care Tips wrote:

Take Care of your Fuel Injection System

- Diesel fuel quality is critical for reliable engine operation. Motorcraftยฎ Cetane Booster & Performance Improver, PM-22-A (U.S.) / PM-22-B (Canada) can be added to improve fuel economy, starting ability, and reduce engine wear.

- Biodiesel fuel must not exceed 20% (B20). To avoid cold weather fuel gelling, add 6 oz. of Motorcraftยฎ Anti-Gel & Performance Improver PM-23-A (U.S.) / PM-23-B (Canada) to every new tank of fuel.

Therefore, given the oft reported sensitivity of the Bosch HPFP in the 2011-14 6.7 Fords, I would probably avoid the use of Power Service, Power Kleen, Snake Oil, Witch Hazel, or any other product other than the PM-22A for lubricity and PM-23A for Anti-Gel that are authorized by Ford.

The cost of that engine is just too high to dicker over the text of the Magnusson Moss act.

biljo99
Explorer
Explorer
I've used 4 oz in main tank and rest of bottle in 75 gallon auxillary tank since new. I now have 129,000 trouble free miles and exhaust is clean. I have never noticed any smoke coming from exhaust; never felt any power loss. The truck runs great.
2014 Ford F450 King Ranch CC PSD LB DRW 4.30 Moonroof 6.7 auto
Navigation Sirius/XM sony radio
Air bag suspension with tank and monitor
Transfer Flow 75 Gallon tank with Monitor
Reese 25K hitch/goose hitch
2009 Elite Suite 36RSSB3/4 #5008

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
laknox wrote:
What is the approx. cetane rating of a 99/1 biodiesel? (99% bio/1% petro) I ran several tanks in my '02 D'max and noticed several things. Engine was more quiet, exhaust was more mellow, mileage about the same, smelled like french fries going down the road and it fixed the issue I was having with my fuel sending unit. Since these guys quit selling retail, I don't buy it any more and use a dose of Diesel Kleen every couple tanks. I only drive it every other week for errands unless I'm towing.

Lyle

The wiki article I posted has a section for alternate fuels. Looks like Bio generally has a pretty high CN. But since it isn't regulated, it probably varies a lot. 99/1% - makes me wonder why they even bother with the 1% petroleum. Seems insignificant.

Some sort of obscure regulation, I forget why. I'd burn it much more often if I could find a station that was closer than about 10 miles one way.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
retired-tech wrote:
per ford use as much cetane boost as you like but not anything with anti gel. the anti gel works weird with the wax in the fuel. the higher the cetane the better the burn.

I don't understand that statement as anti gel is supposed to change the chemistry of the wax so it doesn't form crystals. The only time I ever had a jelling issue was when I didn't use an anti gel.
As for cetane I agree, the higher the better.