cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using a Bakflip cover on a short box?

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi everyone,

Just bought a new-to-us Arctic Fox 29-5K.
The canopy I had on my '14 Ram 3500 SRW short box sold yesterday, so I'm looking into getting a tonneau cover.

BakFlip seems to be a good option, but I'm wondering if there will be enough clearance?

They fold 4 times, with the 4th having it standing vertical up against the cab. I'm thinking that may be very limiting as it effectively decreases the distance between the cab and front cap of the trailer.
If it could be used in the 3/4 folded position (still laying flat, but stacked upon itself) then I'm thinking that one issue might be the distance between the bottom of the trailer and the bed rails.
The other issue may be whether or not the trailer can 'travel' over it in turns etc.

Hopefully there's someone out there with experience with these covers.
If there are other options I'm missing please let me know about them too.

Thanks!

Mike
16 REPLIES 16

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info.
With only be a 6'4" bed I was concerned that when folded and laying flat that it may interfere with my rail clearance.
Was hoping that I wouldn't have to have it folded all the way up against the back glass.

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly the set-up I have, F250 6'-8" bed (short bed) with the 4-section BakFlip cover. For towing I fold the cover to lay flat, not against the back glass of the cab. There's even bungee-cord eyelets to secure the Bakflip, and I have no clearance issues with turning the fiver. I currently maintain 7" of rail clearance, and no issues with the BakFlip folded up on itself. It's a great cover - when unhooked, I just close it up and the hitch stays out of the elements.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI