cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle and tire?

tntcrock
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer that has GVWR of 12275lbs but has 6lug 5200lb axles. This doesn't seem right to me but I guess they deduct some for pin weight. It came with Load E tires but I've had blowouts and thinking of going up to load F or G. I'm tired of tire issues and damage. I'm fanatic about tire condition and psi, I'm always on top of it. Last blowout tire was less than 2 years old. I've also had a new set all roll the belts and have to be replaced within a year, probably one trip on them, they bulged out in middle tread.
21 REPLIES 21

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh your trailer, it's heavier than you think. Are you towing level? If not it puts additional load on the axle that is carrying more weight.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Better yet go to LT tires and forget the blowout special ST. We have tens of thousands of miles on our GR Commercial TA LT tires. Not one tire issue

X2
Our 2005 Ccopper Canyon 293 FWSLS came with 5,200# axles, and LT235/85-16E tires. Put a good set of LT tires on it and be happy.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
tntcrock wrote:
I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer that has GVWR of 12275lbs but has 6lug 5200lb axles. This doesn't seem right to me but I guess they deduct some for pin weight. It came with Load E tires but I've had blowouts and thinking of going up to load F or G. I'm tired of tire issues and damage. I'm fanatic about tire condition and psi, I'm always on top of it. Last blowout tire was less than 2 years old. I've also had a new set all roll the belts and have to be replaced within a year, probably one trip on them, they bulged out in middle tread.

Yes, manufacturer expects some of the weight to be on 5th wheel. (People say pin, but that is nonsense)
Now do you understand when it comes to parts, even tires failing the weight ratings does not mean more than a pinch of snot unless you can compare to the actual weight?
Put it on scale, then can have a rational discussion.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Better yet go to LT tires and forget the blowout special ST. We have tens of thousands of miles on our GR Commercial TA LT tires. Not one tire issue
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
GY Endurance made in USA is what I have after 2 Westlake tires blew that were 3 years old with 5k miles.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
12,275-20% pin weight is 9,820, so your axles and tires arenโ€™t underrated. You may want to weigh your trailer though. Itโ€™s easy for them to gain weight over time through mods and repairs. Overloading them is easy, especially with full tanks.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, the manufacturers do allow for pin wt carrying part of the load. You don't mention the brand name tires that you've had issues with. There are better designed ST tires out there, that likely will give better service.

IMO, load range E should be a good choice, while inflated to handle a full load. To ME, this is better than going to a heavy higher rated tire, then need to lower pressure, causing more heat, or tire scrub.

Take a look at the newer improved, higher speed rated ST tires, such as GY Endurance, Provider, or Carlisle HD, which are nylon wrapped, higher speed rated, and a better choice than most ST tires.

Jerry