cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

axle ratings

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
With all the talk of axle ratings, how do you find out what I have? Hope this not too dumb a question.
9 REPLIES 9

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all that posted,was really helpfull. Beercan,no promblem crawling under trailer -getting out bigger problem:

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
Just to throw another log on the fire, Our last 5er had a combination that can be found on a bunch of RV's. The GAWR was 6,000#, the axles were 6,000# pound axles, the wheels were rated for 3042# each (actually cast into the aluminum rims) and came with 3420# ST tires. Those Mission tires didn't last very long and were replaced with a high end set of LT tires that free'd me of tire issues. Someone around here that most already know attacked me for the change with some very mean spirited remarks.

Keith

We started with the same OEM arrangement with Mission Tires which failed before 10,000 miles. TireCo replaced them under warranty with Free Star's which failed under 10,000 miles. Now have LT Tires installed. Hopefully our tire problems are also behind us.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to throw another log on the fire, Our last 5er had a combination that can be found on a bunch of RV's. The GAWR was 6,000#, the axles were 6,000# pound axles, the wheels were rated for 3042# each (actually cast into the aluminum rims) and came with 3420# ST tires. Those Mission tires didn't last very long and were replaced with a high end set of LT tires that free'd me of tire issues. Someone around here that most already know attacked me for the change with some very mean spirited remarks.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers of RV trailers build them to a set of established specifications for each model with desired target figures to meet the rules and regulations they must follow to the finished product.

Itโ€™s the vehicle manufactureโ€™s prerogative to establish GVWR, GAWR and hitch weight. In doing so they must insure that the government regulations are satisfied. One part of a regulation requires the GVWR not to be exceeded. Not a problem, the cargo weight can be adjusted to account for any overages there.

Another part of a regulation says the manufacturers hitch weight combined with total GAWR must equal or exceed the vehicleโ€™s GVWR. A very good reason for the vehicle manufacturer to have authority to derate axles to meet their specifications.

Tires are easy for the RV trailer. The manufacturer must use tires that have a load capacity equal to or greater than the certified GAWR (s).

To insure the end user has a true picture of the trailerโ€™s weighs, tire size, and recommended cold tire inflation pressure, all of the above is depicted on the trailerโ€™s certification label at the time of first sale, except the cargo weight. Itโ€™s found inside the trailer.

The trailer manufacturer has put the weight and minimum tire requirements on the certification label.

FastEagle

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The actual axle may have a higher rating than the GAWR on the vehicle placard. It is very common to see axles de-rated to the tires installed.

Just about every SRW pickup truck has a rear GAWR that is two times the rating of the tire installed, with an axle that is rated between 8500 to 12,500.

Trailer with ST tires rated to 3420 each will have 7K axle, but the placard will state GAWR at 6750 up to 6840, but not above the higher number.

My trailer has 5200 axles, however the GAWR is listed at 5080 for the standard 15" ST tires. It was build with optional LT235/85R16E tires rated to 3042lbs and the manufacturer refused a request to issue a placard with the full 5200 GAWR.

Chris
X2

Yes - my GAWR on the data plate is 7,500 lbs due to the G614 tire rating of 3,750 lbs per tire, but the actual axle tag indicates 8,000 lbs.

2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

LostinAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The actual axle may have a higher rating than the GAWR on the vehicle placard. I is very common to see axles de-rated to the tires install.

Just about every SRW pickup truck has a rear GAWR that is two times the rating of the tire installed, which the axle is rated between 8500 to 12,500.

Trailer with ST tires rated to 3420 each will have 7K axle, but the placard will state GAWR at 6750 up to 6840, but not above the higher number.

My trailer has 5200 axles, however the GAWR is listed at 5080 for the standard 15" ST tires. It was build with optional LT235/85R16E tires rated to 3042lbs and the manufacture refused a request to issue a placard with the full 5200 GAWR.

Chris

In our case, on our 2006 3400RL Montana, we had OEM 6000 lb axles and 3500 lb rated ST tires. That creates all kinds of problems when replacing tires expecially when trying to change to LT tires.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The actual axle may have a higher rating than the GAWR on the vehicle placard. It is very common to see axles de-rated to the tires installed.

Just about every SRW pickup truck has a rear GAWR that is two times the rating of the tire installed, with an axle that is rated between 8500 to 12,500.

My trailer has 5200 axles, however the GAWR is listed at 5080 for the standard 15" ST tires. It was build with optional LT235/85R16E tires rated to 3042lbs and the manufacturer refused a request to issue a placard with the full 5200 GAWR.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may have to contact Dexter with the info from the tag on the axle. That's what I had to do. I e-mailed them with the info and they sent back what it meant.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
It is listed on the units data plate, as GAWR. If it is a Dexter axle it will also be on the axle itself near the middle. That only works if you can crawl under the unit ๐Ÿ™‚