cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W 3400 Slider. Does it Clunk...work in Ram Puck system?

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Still considering which hitch to go with โ€ฆโ€ฆ I have a 2015 Ram 3500 with puck System.

I just read on the B&W site where a review was posted and the guy said that the tolerances in the slide mechanism has enough play to cause โ€œun-nerving 'clunk', both as you brake and accelerateโ€. He said that it was so bad that he wished he had gone with a different slider hitch โ€ฆ and B&W customer service said it was normal safe movement.

Does anyone agree or disagree? Does anyone have any experience with this phenomenon ?

Also, does the turnover ball work on the 3400 slider in the Ram puck systems goose neck slot?
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas
16 REPLIES 16

dinwiddi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. My 2015 DRW is almost 4" higher at the tailgate than the 04 DRW was. I am running about the same clearance between the bed rails and the trailer, so lowering the trailer by whatever means is not an option. Trading is also not an option; so I will either raise the trailer at the axles or run nose high.
Several on the forum who have traded for later model trucks and kept the older trailers are experiencing this problem.
Jerry & Ellen
2004 276 RLS FW Coachmen

Chaparral " Miss Ellens Delight"

:R
2015 RAM 3500 Dually 4X4 Cummins 68RFE 3.73 ram prep B&W 3600

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dennyha wrote:
I have the B&W Companion hitch BWRVK3600, which locks into the RAM OEM pucks. It is a very solid hitch, and quiet. My only complaint is that I am slightly nose high (camper) when hitched. I am going to sell it and look for another that will allow me to hitch up a little lower

Many of us are towing "slightly" nose high. I am about an inch or so high. I certainly would not give up that solid 3600, if I was less than 2 inches nose high. It will lower to 17"s, and it would be hard to find a hitch that lowers to less than 16"s, so seems a shame to change for an inch, IMO.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennyha wrote:
I have the B&W Companion hitch BWRVK3600, which locks into the RAM OEM pucks. It is a very solid hitch, and quiet. My only complaint is that I am slightly nose high (camper) when hitched. I am going to sell it and look for another that will allow me to hitch up a little lower

My B&W RVK3600 does not adjust as low as my previous 18K Companion. So if you are at your lowest setting what space do you have at your tailgate? 6" minimum is where you should be.

Can you raise your kingpin box? Can you lower your springs on the RV?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennyha wrote:

So you have the B&W at it's lowest setting and your pin box at is highest position. Hitch heights are pretty standard, so make sure selling it is the right option. I would raise your trailer before getting rid of the current hitch. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

dinwiddi
Explorer
Explorer
tcamper, I think the answer to your question is no. The B&W Turnover ball and gooseneck hitch is different from the gooseneck ball and hitch that came with your puck (4 points) gooseneck hitch (center point) system. The hole that the ball fits into is square on the B&W and round in the Ram. The people at etrailer.com can help you with this. I had intended to install a B&W Turnover with a B&W Companion Slider 5th wheel hitch but traded for DRW with the trailer prep package, so no slider was needed.
I think you will need a "picture frame", that fits in your pucks then put the B&W slider onto that frame as B&W did not make a slider that fit the pucks at the time I was researching this.(Need to check this out as some said they were planning to produce one.) This adds about 2" height that may or not be taken care of in the hitch adjustments. Good luck on your experience.
Jerry & Ellen
2004 276 RLS FW Coachmen

Chaparral " Miss Ellens Delight"

:R
2015 RAM 3500 Dually 4X4 Cummins 68RFE 3.73 ram prep B&W 3600

Dennyha
Explorer
Explorer

Fire91
Explorer
Explorer
I also have B&W turn over and Companion slider with no clunking. Love it.
2013 Chevy 2500HD CCSB W/Duramax
2015 Jayco 321RSTS 5th Wheel
B&W Companion Slider

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I'm not sure what the model is but I'm getting an 18K B/W Companion hitch installed in my 2014 2500 Ram tomorrow. They are using the single hole in the middle of the bed in conjunction with the support that runs under the bed. So, I have no rails or anything other than the single connection point in the middle of the bed.

Is this single attachment point considered the "puck" system being talked about or is the puck system the 4 attachment points? I sure hope I don't end up with some annoying clunk considering this thing cost north of $2000 installed.

The single attachment is the way it was before the truck manufactures started offering the puck system.
I've had the single B&W attachment for close to 6 years and 50,000 miles towing without a problem.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again will be along shortly to dial you in. I believe he used a Demco picture frame adapter and the B&W 16K slider in his 3500SRW SB 15 RAM and he really likes it.

Mine is a rail mount manual slider rated to 18k Model RBK3270. There is a Companion style slider RVK3400, which appears to have a similar slide setup. I have no play. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
I have the turnover ball with the companion slider...no clunk at all. The hitch is very quiet and very smooth. Love the hitch.

Don't know if it's any different for the Dodges but the hole in the bed of my truck is 4"
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH Fiver "No Worries II"
2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7L PSD, CC, DRW, Lariat "Mistress II"
Ford 26.5k fifth wheel hitch

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
tcamper wrote:
Well, technically I suppose the puck system is just the four outer holes, but the entire system is called the โ€œRam 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep packageโ€.

So maybe my question should have read โ€œdoes the turnover ball work on the 3400 slider in the Ram gooseneck slot?

fwiw, my truck didn't come with the 5th wheel prep package but does have the bracket underneath that is kind of a template for where to cut the hole. Also, I saw in a YouTube video that the size of the holes changed from 4" to 3.5".

All of the terminology and different equipment types for 5th wheels makes my head spin. I suppose it's good that there are so many options but things sure have become complicated from a decade ago when I had my last 5th wheel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again will be along shortly to dial you in. I believe he used a Demco picture frame adapter and the B&W 16K slider in his 3500SRW SB 15 RAM and he really likes it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, technically I suppose the puck system is just the four outer holes, but the entire system is called the โ€œRam 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep packageโ€.

So maybe my question should have read โ€œdoes the turnover ball work on the 3400 slider in the Ram gooseneck slot?
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what the model is but I'm getting an 18K B/W Companion hitch installed in my 2014 2500 Ram tomorrow. They are using the single hole in the middle of the bed in conjunction with the support that runs under the bed. So, I have no rails or anything other than the single connection point in the middle of the bed.

Is this single attachment point considered the "puck" system being talked about or is the puck system the 4 attachment points? I sure hope I don't end up with some annoying clunk considering this thing cost north of $2000 installed.