cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W hitch

greg_gurd
Explorer
Explorer
We just hitched up our 5th and my husband checked the lever under the truck bed and it seemed lose so we want to unhitch but now the jaws won't open. Help please. We have loved this hitch until now.
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Op re read the installation instructions for the Companion. I am thinking you tightened the "U" booth THEN the drawdown bolt. With the TrailAir Kingpin as you raise and lower the RV it will push or pull the truck. Releasing the tension by popping the truck in neutral helps make the handle easy to release.

Don't forget to set the parking brake if on a hill.:S
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once in a while I make a bone head move and try to pull away without pulling the handle back. It won't unhitch. I use a bungee to hold the handle back then get in the truck and back up just a smidgen then pull forward. It comes right out from under trailer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
If you can move the pin in the wheel well, that makes me wonder if the hitch mount in the bed was installed properly? When you install the frame in the bed to the pin you need to torque the bolt in top of the pin to 40 fp and then tighten the U-Bolts to this pin to 80 fp. The 40 fp on the pin keeps it from moving around.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the release lever is just loose on the driver side, that is typical for it to have some movement. If you have the draw bolts torqued down, you can not grab that latch handle and pull straight out on it. The latch handle will still move forward and back, but if torqued down on the draw bolt, no way you can pull the handle out.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not unusual for the jaws not to unlatch if there is still some strain on them. I consider that a safety factor. ๐Ÿ™‚ You just need to play with the truck position relative to the trailer and weight still on the hitch/truck.

I can see that the lever under the fender could be loose when there is weight on the hitch. When you tighten the pull down bolt, that puts some upward force on the ball and keeps the lever tight. However when you have your 5th wheel loaded it's very possible that the weight will allow the ball to move enough to take the upward force off the lever pin. Now you could pull the lever if you were so inclined.

I've never tried, but I can see how it could work like you're describing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the Turnover Ball parts....but my Patriot, which uses the same head as a Companion, wouldn't open a couple of times for me. I called and was told to lube the jaw pins with some penetrating oil. I loaded up the grooves around the pins several times and it was ok till I got home. Once home, I removed each pin and cleaned and lubed them with grease. All works great now! I've had it for 3yrs and have in the area of about 40k miles towing on it!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

greg_gurd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your helpful hints. In addition to the jaws not opening the latch pin in the wheel well is not suppose to be able to disengage but when there is weight on the hitch it will however when there is no weight on the hitch it won't. Very strange ! Any thoughts ?

shadoow
Explorer
Explorer
are you referring to the release lever for the turnover ball that you have to access from the drivers side wheel well?

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
Working of kroghville's suggestion, every time I unhitch I first put my truck in neutral and slowly release the brake. If I have forward pressure or back pressure the truck will move and relieve it. After doing so, I put my truck back in park.

Prior to using this technique I had plenty of times where I couldn't release the pin. Since I started doing this, I haven't an issue.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have the Companion hitch? If you mean the jaws don't open when unhitching, perhaps you have some backward pressure on it. Try applying just a slight amount of forward pressure, then pull the lever.

greg_gurd
Explorer
Explorer
We were able to get the saddle off and everything works and lever is tight but when we put it all back together and hitch up the lever moves. Any ideas?