cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W hitch

driver75
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a B&W patriot fifth wheel hitch and when it comes time to remove it from the truck bed can it be lifted by one person.
19 REPLIES 19

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
driver75 wrote:
I am considering buying a B&W patriot fifth wheel hitch and when it comes time to remove it from the truck bed can it be lifted by one person.

I'd contact B&W. They'll tell you how it really is.

If it does come apart into 2 pieces, the head is pretty easy to move. The base (for the Companion, at least) is big and awkward - not terribly heavy, just not convenient. I use a furniture dolly and only lift it straight up to the edge of the bed and then climb up and move it into position. But, from the road side to the garage and around the garage - it lives on the dolly.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
driver75 wrote:

You are considering the RIGHT hitch!

It is a two piece system, not hart at all to remove or install with the Patriot.

You will love the solid towing experience.

Very easy to hitch and you KNOW YOU ARE HITCHED NO QUESTION!!!!!!!

Tweetys.com have them for about $429 no shipping or sales tax. Good people.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
I believe that is the same as the Companion, except for the mounting. That being the case, yes, one person can handle it easily. The head section comes off, and the base is separate. That is a bit heavy and awkward, but not bad. Buy it; you won't regret it!

I am old with 2 bad knees and a bad back, I can handle the top (head part) easily, but the bottom piece is a little hard to handle. It depends on what kind of condition you are in but even as old and messed up as I am I can still do it myself.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the website for the shipping weight? That should tell you close enough! My Curt 16K slider weighs in at just under 250Lbs. That's the hitch and the fifth wheel table. It's more then I want to move at 65 yrs old and 2 back surgeries.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that is the same as the Companion, except for the mounting. That being the case, yes, one person can handle it easily. The head section comes off, and the base is separate. That is a bit heavy and awkward, but not bad. Buy it; you won't regret it!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard