cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Patriot or Pullrite ISR Super 5th?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to replace my RBW hitch and have narrowed the choices down to the B&W Patriot or the Pullrite ISR Super 5th. Checking to see if anyone on here has experience with both, your preference, and the pros/cons. I'm going to use my existing rails. Thanks.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
29 REPLIES 29

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
As for the Pullrite service, it's the same as B&W. You call them, you get a real person and they honor their warranty no questions asked. I bent a pin on mine because we tried to use the Blue Ox Bed Saver. That caused high hitching. So even tho the problem was not theirs they fixed it for us.

And yes the jaw wraps around the pin, not like the Reese hitches.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
mguay wrote:
I started with the "slam/bang" Reese. I used it for 2 seasons and sent it to the scrap pile. Then I bought a Patriot. WOW what a great hitch. Not only in the build but also the customer service. I think the thing that I like the best is that the jaws "Completely" encircle the kingpin. I have never used a Pullrite so I can't tell you good or bad. I was looking at pics of them and have a question for Pullrite owners. Do the jaws encircle the kingpin or just wrap around the rear?

The jaw wraps around the king pin...
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
8ntw8tn wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the prices on Tweety's; the B&W Patriot is on sale. That's in favor of it, but by no means the determining factor. Quality, reliability, and ease of use are most important.

You have just mentioned 3 of the best things about the Patriot. I can add another, it is easy to install and remove. The head lifts off, then just pull pins, to remove base.

I've been using one for several years, so am talking from experience.

Also, if you have a question, you can call B&W, get a real person on the phone, that is both friendly and knowledgeable.

Sorry if I sound like a sales person! Lol
Jerry

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a patriot and love it, but if I were buying again I'd get the 3250 welded base. Just a little more from croft trailer.

http://www.crofttrailer.com/bw3250-b-w-patriot-16k-fifth-wheel-hitch-made-in-the-usa/#page=page-1
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
I started with the "slam/bang" Reese. I used it for 2 seasons and sent it to the scrap pile. Then I bought a Patriot. WOW what a great hitch. Not only in the build but also the customer service. I think the thing that I like the best is that the jaws "Completely" encircle the kingpin. I have never used a Pullrite so I can't tell you good or bad. I was looking at pics of them and have a question for Pullrite owners. Do the jaws encircle the kingpin or just wrap around the rear?
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at the prices on Tweety's; the B&W Patriot is on sale. That's in favor of it, but by no means the determining factor. Quality, reliability, and ease of use are most important.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

ckwizard777
Explorer
Explorer
There both good hitches,
I have the Super Fifth and I love it. The jaw wraps around the king pin with about 30 thousands clearance I believe, All I can tell ya is I get NO chucking and it's served me well.
Ken & Deb
2008 Montana 3400
2007 Chevy 3500HD CC,LB Dually 8.1

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
They are both good hitches, why the Patriot and not the Companion? That way you'd be comparing equivalent hitches. Our Pullrite is very well built and has a rotating jaw that securely locks the king pin in place. The same as the B&W.

The OP wants to use his existing rails, so the Companion will not work.

The pullrite hitches in general have a good reputation. I have no personal experience with them.

I can speak for the Patriot, and it is a very good hitch, at a reasonable price. Check on the price of the Patriot at Tweety's. They should also have free shipping.

Jerry

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Size and weight? What does that mean? Is the Pullrite heavier?

BK
Superbumper

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
B&W hands down

Just curious. Have you ever used or even looked carefully at a Pullrite Superfifth or is that response just a reflex like the doctor whacking your knee with his rubber hammer?

As a rv tech i have delt with both companies and no it is not a generic choice i based it off of customers that have had the super hitches and went to the patriot due to the size and weight

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
They are both good hitches, why the Patriot and not the Companion? That way you'd be comparing equivalent hitches. Our Pullrite is very well built and has a rotating jaw that securely locks the king pin in place. The same as the B&W.

They are equivalent hitches, the ISR Super 5th is a regular 5th wheel hitch..
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to test drive the Ultimate from Andersen.
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
newman fulltimer wrote:
B&W hands down

Just curious. Have you ever used or even looked carefully at a Pullrite Superfifth or is that response just a reflex like the doctor whacking your knee with his rubber hammer?
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Superbumper

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
B&W hands down