cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up bearing kit

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
My local farm store has replacement trailer bearing kits by timken. I would like to get a kit to carry with me as a backup. They have a 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and a 3/4 inch kit. My seals are 2 1/8 inch I D , so I don't know where to measure to decide which kit I need. I have the original bearing numbers, but get lost trying to cross reference. Any suggestions? I depend on you folks.
Thanks
AL
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
26 REPLIES 26

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
jamway wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:
OK, I'm new to RV owning, and maybe I missed something here.

We're all talking about changing hubs/spindles/bearings on the side of the road, after an at-speed failure, when we have the spouse/kids/pets all going crazy about "where are we? what happened to the trailer? what are you doing? when will we be going again?"

Talk about steely nerves... For me, there's a time/place for roadside assistance, and this seems like one of them.

IMHO, of course. YMMV, as it quite possibly does.

Keep your bearings packed like your owners manual says and you shouldn't have any problems. I have never had a problem in the past 20 years with bearings.
. Ditto.... Your bearings will never fail if you maintain them properly. Read the manual and do what it says. Also, overloading and long periods of storage will affect service cycle, but service is the key- then you won't need to waste your money on back ups.

Gee,I wish that I had known that before a bearing went out my fiver.
The service was done on a regular basis.(Service consisting of checking the temps with an IR guage at least once a day while on the road)Maybe I could have saved the $50 that I paid for that spare bearing. Now "the rest of the story" it was a Dexter Never-Lube bearing,and there was over 50,000 miles on the trailer. Just a heads up.....Never say "never".:)

I sure would like to know where you get the Dexter Never-lube bearing for $50.00 please.

Sorry,that $50 number must have been wishfull thinking. They were closer to $70 5 years ago and I had a wholesale connection.

Okay thanks Dexter wanted $116.00 about a year ago.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
jamway wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

We're all talking about changing hubs/spindles/bearings on the side of the road, after an at-speed failure, when we have the spouse/kids/pets all going crazy about "where are we? what happened to the trailer? what are you doing? when will we be going again?"

Talk about steely nerves... For me, there's a time/place for roadside assistance, and this seems like one of them.

Keep your bearings packed like your owners manual says and you shouldn't have any problems. I have never had a problem in the past 20 years with bearings.
. Ditto.... Your bearings will never fail if you maintain them properly. Read the manual and do what it says. Also, overloading and long periods of storage will affect service cycle, but service is the key- then you won't need to waste your money on back ups.

The service was done on a regular basis.(Service consisting of checking the temps with an IR guage at least once a day while on the road)Maybe I could have saved the $50 that I paid for that spare bearing. Now "the rest of the story" it was a Dexter Never-Lube bearing,and there was over 50,000 miles on the trailer. Just a heads up.....Never say "never".:)

I sure would like to know where you get the Dexter Never-lube bearing for $50.00 please.

Sorry,that $50 number must have been wishfull thinking. They were closer to $70 5 years ago and I had a wholesale connection.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my third fifth wheel. Took out a gazillion "Just in case" and "May sometime want" items that I never needed or wanted. Be suprised how much more room and uncluttered the storage bays are, and lighter. Now all I gotta do is hope I dont have many just in case and may sometime want needs.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
I carry a set of bearings & seals. My entire career of 40 years was about bearings, maint. & proper care. Things do happen, but there is always a cause of failure and 99.999 percent of the time it's something other than the bearing. Moisture, dirt, too little lubricant, too much, wrong type, too much installation preload, too little, overloading, improper storage, damage prior to installation(it was dropped, greased with dirty hands, etc) - these are just a few of the causes, so just in case I carry that set, but cause is in general, mishandling to begin with.

So true!

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a set of bearings & seals. My entire career of 40 years was about bearings, maint. & proper care. Things do happen, but there is always a cause of failure and 99.999 percent of the time it's something other than the bearing. Moisture, dirt, too little lubricant, too much, wrong type, too much installation preload, too little, overloading, improper storage, damage prior to installation(it was dropped, greased with dirty hands, etc) - these are just a few of the causes, so just in case I carry that set, but cause is in general, mishandling to begin with.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

rockhound007
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Why do you think you would need to carry a spare set of bearings?

Peace of mind!
And also that fella named Murphy!

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

The 50,000 miles is a lot of miles on the neverlube. We all know the "permanent" lubrication wears out. Cars and trucks have a version of "never lube" as well and after 100K to 150K replacement is not uncommon. I have heard some replacement as early as 80K.

Of course, duty cycles of Rvs are different.

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Say what you will --- I have experinced bearing failures twice. These were two different trailers. One a utility -- the other a boat trailer. I'm a PM freak and even tend to over-do some maintanence. I carry two(20) complete spare hubs for my boat trailer and my 5'er. Set includes inner/outer bearing assembly in a pre-packed hub including lug nuts. Call it overkill, but I've been able to get back on the road in as little as 2 hrs without hunting for parts. I also want to address the coment about TSC --- Thier parts ARE probably made in China. Before youe leave the store, remove the bearings from the packing and inspect them. At least that way you know there aren't any "bad" spots in the chinese bearings.
As for checking the size. Simply remove the old bearing and measure the inside with a Micrometer and/or the axle itself
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
MTPockets1 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
the 3/4 in bearings are most likely for a 750lbs axle.. 1in for 1,250lbs axle..1 1/4 for 1,500lbs axle.. if your unit is six lug you most likely have 5,200lbs axles.. have parts store cross reference them to timkin.. if you are refering to tsc the kits usaully say what axle rating they are for
1999 F550 truck conversion

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

Reminds me of the threads on Bedsavers. If all goes well you never need them. I too agree that proper maintenance highly decreases the possibility of bearing failure but stuff happens. I would be less concerned if I had changed out the OEM Chinese bearings for Timkens, but for a mere $25 why not eliminate the need to ever find yourself in a pickle? Just as the OP mentions, he does not know what bearings, races, seals he needs. Why not do the research ahead of time and if that once in a lifetime bad event occurs you are ahead of the game. If not, don't worry about it, go camping and have a good time.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Homey B wrote:

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

xPIXx
Explorer
Explorer
The bearings at TSC say what axle size they fit by the axle weight rating. So if you have 3500 lb axles that's the bearings you need to buy and so on. The hub with the bearings and grease is a pretty fast way to get it done if you do have a problem.