cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

backing on wrong side

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm supposed to pick up my 40' 5th wheel friday and have been watching youtube videos on how to back.

All of the videos say to have the place you are backing into on the drivers side. Well, our driveway is not on the drivers side - its the opposite and I cannot see sitting in the wrong lane the first time I attempt to back this rig up.

Any suggestions on best way to do this?
50 REPLIES 50

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
paulbeauchemin wrote:
First day with the 5th wheel. Out practicing backing in a parking lot.

Unknown to use when we were making the turns the breakaway cord pulled out. Driving out the trailer breaks started smoking . Fortunately we're we're still close to the dealership and they found the problem.

Tried for 2 hours to backup into my driveway without su. Need to cut a tree down

You need to be checking your brakes!! I pulled the pin backing into a spot once and the trailer brakes locked up!! Could not move forward or back!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 18 wheeler for 20 years and you have to go slow and make small turn adjustments.and yes practice

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin wrote:
I'm supposed to pick up my 40' 5th wheel friday and have been watching youtube videos on how to back.

All of the videos say to have the place you are backing into on the drivers side. Well, our driveway is not on the drivers side - its the opposite and I cannot see sitting in the wrong lane the first time I attempt to back this rig up.

Any suggestions on best way to do this?

Go around the block and come from the other direction were you driveway is on the drivers side. Once you come up to your drive pull deep into the other lane once the traffic has cleared and head out to the other lane at a 45 degree angle blocking both lanes. Once you have the lanes blocked more than likely no one will try to go around your back side, back the trailer in as you would normally. do not make it hard than it is.

I have driven a semi with a 53ft trailer for a number of years delivering to small businesses were I had to do this, once you block the lanes unless there is an idiot (which I have seen) you will have the time to back into your drive, take your time

Safe Travels

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I did a CDL class when DW wanted a 40ft for the first 5W. Ended up driving 75ft 80,000lbs for 6 years. Backing is not an issue and DW is a great spotter for backing, nothing like years of practice.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
First day with the 5th wheel. Out practicing backing in a parking lot.

Unknown to use when we were making the turns the breakaway cord pulled out. Driving out the trailer breaks started smoking . Fortunately we're we're still close to the dealership and they found the problem.

Tried for 2 hours to backup into my driveway without su. Need to cut a tree down

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Blind side backing is a challenge. Bigger mirrors wont help unless you want to see more of your trailer wall and your neighbors yard.
If you have electric mirrors you may be able to adjust them while you back. A spotter can help but can be stressful for both of you. Getting out and looking about 10 times is best.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
richardcoxid wrote:
x2 Valhalla360

I had the hardest time convincing my wife that if she couldn't see my mirrors that I couldn't see her

The first few times, she came around to ask what I was waiting for...once she got it down that if I wasn't moving, she had to check that she could see me in one of the mirrors, it was no longer an issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
First time and doing blind side... You are brave!!:B
*A spotter is a Must!!
*Make sure that your spotter and you are on the same page with your signals
*Use one hand at the BASE of your steering wheel. That way the back of the RV will go the same direction has your hand is going on the steering wheel.
*Go VERY slow. Take your time.
*Don't be afraid to keep pulling forward to correct your approach angle
*Get out (over and over)and look if you are uncomfortable
*Stay calm. Yelling at your spotter doesn't help
*I watch the RV wheels in the mirror because they are the pivot point. Once they the wheels get past an object you can pivot harder.
*If you are in a high traffic are use orange cones.

Practice in a parking lot DOES help a lot. Use those same orange cones with broom handles.

*Enjoy the new RV!

The scoop helps too! (From either side)(Video)VVVVVVV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw+

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Try drawing a line with chalk where you expect the trailer tires to be.
I find it is best to control this pivot point vs the tail swing.

Spotter is fine more to tell you to stop to avoid collision more than actually directing how to turn.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Practice, practice, practice, get some cheep walkie so the DW can think she is part of the process. I have used my DW as a spotter for years, and she has to catch on that I do not pay attention to her directions other than hitting something low hanging or backing to far. I get out and look several times during the backup procedure, even though I am fairly proficient at backing, but, cockiness gets you in trouble every time.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
Best tip for using mirrors is REFERENCES. You don't try to use your depth perception, you compare one object in the mirror to another object in your mirror.

Tires to tape, camper corner to cone, etc.
r ๐Ÿ˜‰

Are you saying to make a mark on my mirrors for where the tires are?

No. I was making a reference to a comment from another poster who suggested using tape on the ground as reference marks. You can look in your mirror and compare where your tires are to the tape marks on the ground that you made to practice.

By reference, you want to pick out an object in your mirror that you will compare your camper position to.

You can choose a tree and compare the back side of your trailer to back in next to it. You can use a rock to know where to stop (for example, when your tire lines up with it)

Does it make more sense now?

Montara24d
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice. We live on a narrow street, & the driveway is 250' long. I back in on the blind side, & use the power mirror to watch the trailer wheels enter the driveway cut. Been doing it 7yrs & sometimes I back it right in, & once in a while it's like I have never done it before. When that happens just start over, & take your time.
John
John & Stephanie
Aquebogue, N.Y.
2016 Ford 4X4, Lariat
6.7, SRW, long bed
34' 5th wheel

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
Best tip for using mirrors is REFERENCES. You don't try to use your depth perception, you compare one object in the mirror to another object in your mirror.

Tires to tape, camper corner to cone, etc.
r ๐Ÿ˜‰

Are you saying to make a mark on my mirrors for where the tires are?

mtcowgirl4
Explorer
Explorer
I used to always look over my shoulder to back trailers too. Now thanks to my husband teaching me to drive our semi, that habit is broken. Takes a lot of practice to just use the mirrors, but I kept working at it and now it is the norm. He usually does most of the backing since he's been backing semi trailers for over 50 years! Even with that we work together with me spotting if needed. Most important thing as spotter is to make sure you can see the driver in whatever side mirror you are on and to have preset signals. We have a 40 ft and tow with a 5500 Dodge Ram.
2017 Ram 550 and 2006 Everest