cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery cutoff switch

dalen
Explorer
Explorer
When I am at a campsite with full hookup should I disconnect the battery via the battery cutoff switch. Does it hurt the battery by being connected to the converter all the time. I understand that when the rv is in storage the switch should be off.
17 REPLIES 17

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
dalen wrote:
When I am at a campsite with full hookup should I disconnect the battery via the battery cutoff switch. Does it hurt the battery by being connected to the converter all the time. I understand that when the rv is in storage the switch should be off.

You must leave it on. FWIW, if it's wired like my cutoff switch, only the landing gear and detectors will work when off; no fridge, water heater or any other 12v light, plug or appliance will work.

Lyle

I just checked my batteries the other day. I started by turning the battery switch off. I then went inside to see what power had been cut off. To my pleasant surprise, everything was still operational being supplied power from the converter. I then proceeded to check connections (found one positive wire had separated from the connector) and the cells for adequate water and tested the condition of the cells with a hydrometer. I guess it has everything to do with the way it is wired as my coach doesn't seem notice or care if the cut off switch is on or off.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

Are you saying that without my batteries connected I could damage all my 12-volt stuff?

Yes. Especially if there is a surge on the shore power.
The converter does NOT produce smooth DC.
Some electronics is more sensitive to "noise" on the power than others.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Thumb
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
This has really become less of an issue with the newer SMART MODE converter/chargers installed in the newer RV units. These type converter/chargers will take care of your battery really nice...

What you don't want to happen is having your battery boil out fluids being connected all the time. This occurs when the older type converter/charger units are only running at 13.6VDC and over time may boil out your battery fluids. This takes many days however to happen.

I monitor my battery bank all the time in my setup when camping at shore power locations as well as camping off the power grid and make sure they are not getting hot and the DC VOLTAGEs are all nominal...

Roy Ken

I wonder when the Smart Mode were first being installed and
Does my 2012 Montana have a Smart Mode?

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
With the Progressive Dynamics 4500 series converter, anyways, good chance it is wired with the auxiliary positive lug connected to the battery side of the cutoff switch. Shutting the switch off is just shutting off 12v to the trailer. The battery is still being monitored by the charge wizard.
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
.......... They provide and additional voltage stabilization and noise filter for all of your DC electronics.

I thought my converter did that. Are you saying that without my batteries connected I could damage all my 12-volt stuff? I can understand that the batteries could "help" the converter with higher amps when needed, but I could use some schooling on the issue here since I have been turning off my batteries for over 30 years.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
The batteries should be used at all times when connected to shore power. They provide and additional voltage stabilization and noise filter for all of your DC electronics.

I'm with sch911. In fact, I always turn the battery disconnect to ON every time I plug into power. When I disconnect I unplug the power first then turn off the battery disconnect switch.

At home, after full charge, I disconnect the power to avoid overcharge and then turn the battery switch to off.

This is the practice which was recommended to me and which I have followed with four fifth-wheels for over 18 years.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
When hooked up I shut mine off. I have never had a problem at all by doing that.

That may be true but its not intended operation. The batteries should be used at all times when connected to shore power. They provide and additional voltage stabilization and noise filter for all of your DC electronics.

If your batteries get overcharged you should make sure to check them regularly, maintain the water levels, or consider installing a smarter converter system.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
When hooked up I shut mine off. I have never had a problem at all by doing that.

Some of us can't do that because turning my battery disconnect OFF kills all of the 12 V to the RV. So anything requiring 12 V stops working, most notably the smoke/CO/propane detectors and the fridge and furnace.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel is equipped with the Progressive Dynamics PD9280 Intellipower converter. It stays plugged in 24/7 except when in transit with the batteries on line. I have the Flow-Rite battery watering system, so battery maintenance is a 5 minute affair every couple of months. Typically, when I add water to the batteries, they won't take more than an ounce or two - I still have most of the gallon jug of distilled water that I put in the 5th wheel when we bought it almost 2 years ago.

On the other hand, I've had 5th wheels with "dumb" converters that would boil the battery electrolyte level below the tops of the plates in as little as 1-2 months.

So, it depends....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
So....like a lot of stuff, the real answer is: It depends.

If your converter is applying between 12.8 and 13.4 volts, you shouldn't need to do anything.....except check the electrolyte level occasionally.

Definitely don't need to be disconnecting anything for short periods of camping. The disconnect switch really is there for long periods of non-use.....when not connected to shore power.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm hooked up to shore power for a week or so longer, I will switch my batteries off. My 3-stage converter seems to over-charge my Trojan 6-volt batteries. This condition doesn't seem to create any problems with my system at all.

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
On for sure.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dalen wrote:

You must leave it on. FWIW, if it's wired like my cutoff switch, only the landing gear and detectors will work when off; no fridge, water heater or any other 12v light, plug or appliance will work.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member