cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain on our Rubicon 2900

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
OK can anyone give me an idea of what might be wrong......DH and I do a lot of dry camping, this past weekend was the first time that we dry camped in the Rubicon. We have 2 deep cell batteries and usually get 5 - 7 days without any issues.....this week we had to charge the battery just about every day! Fridge & HW heater was on propane, used very little lights - maybe two hours at night and it was only the one light in the living area.....we have motion detector battery operated LED light in the bathroom for the needed midnight run! We didn't even use the radio for fear of it draining the battery more. I have to admit that the water pump "seems" to run much longer than the one in our other TT (Sunline). DH had the batteries checked out today and they are both good! Anything I can check....we are dry camping again in September and then again in October.....so really want to try to fix it before we take off again!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4
7 REPLIES 7

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Oops Click
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Possibility ? http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27182732.cfm
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I first saw the thread title and was thinking Jeep Rubicon! Oops....
Bob

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
To find a "drain" use a voltmeter on the batteries or where the main 12v comes into the panel, without connected to shore power or generator. First check with all fuses/loads removed, then add back one fuse at a time, watching the volt meter. If all loads (lights, refer, etc.) are off you should see a drop in voltage when the suspect circuit is engergized. Once this circuit is identified see what's connected to it, may be something is "on" that you don't know about or there is a partial short that's enough to drain the batteries but not enough to blow the fuse.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Check all of your fuses and make sure the wires in the fuse panel are all tight and the battery terminals too!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
If there are no changes to your normal power use, and the batteries suddenly cannot handle it, the batteries themselves are suspect.

They are either low on water, old, or both.
Poppy & Nana wrote:
DH had the batteries checked out today and they are both good!
Checked out how?

Brought the batteries to the local mechanic who put them under a load (hope that is the right terminology)....mechanic said batteries a good - we bought them from him so if they where bad, he would send them back to Interstate - he has done this in the past when we had a battery go bad in our truck!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there are no changes to your normal power use, and the batteries suddenly cannot handle it, the batteries themselves are suspect.

They are either low on water, old, or both.
Poppy & Nana wrote:
DH had the batteries checked out today and they are both good!
Checked out how?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman