cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery draw

woodguy00
Explorer
Explorer
My Rockwood 8289 came with Group24 12 volt "marine" battery. First time dry camping this weekend, after being plugged in for a couple days, it discharges in about two hours of use. the only things we have on is our the propane refrigerator and the interior LED lights plus various monitor lights. If we use the propane heating, then the fan draws it down even faster.

Would you call this normal life before recharging? The dealer tested the battery yesterday and all readings showed 100% normal. I need to use 12 volt CPAP but don't have it this weekend. Not sure if it would make it through the night.

Do you leave fridge on overnight on propane? How about the fan on the furnace. We turned both off overnight with no CO beeping before morning. That was good.

I've read a bunch of posts on RV electricity but want to know what others experiences are with the stock batteries

thanks
11 REPLIES 11

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
Before you get new batteries, make sure they fit. I am using a trailer that sat for several years, and the old group 24 batteries were dried out and dead. I thought I would step up to group 29 12-volt deep-cycle batteries to get more amp hours, but found out after buying that they were too long to fit into the battery cabinet. I was able to modify the cabinet so it would hold them, but this was far from the plug and play that I had expected.

woodguy00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments and advice.

The battery had been on shore power for several days at home. The next morning I recharged with the generator and converter to 12.9 volts. The dealer's testing machine showed 12.8 later that morning. Not sure if this is a load test but he said the battery was fine...

I received other replies on other boards that the draw isn't completely out of normal. I also spoke with an owner of a similar rig at the campground who gets similar battery life.

Time to shop for a couple 6 volts to hook up in series..

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
woodguy00 wrote:
My Rockwood 8289 came with Group24 12 volt "marine" battery.

Sadly, this is typically what sold/installed in new RVs.

First, you need a true deep discharge battery bank, not a marine dual purpose battery.

Second, the cheapest and easiest deep discharge batteries are golf cart batteries, so they have to be wired in series to provide 12V.

Third, get a good quality, multi-stage battery charger. Again, very few if any RV come equipped like this from the factory.

Fourth, proper maintenance of your battery. Make sure the fluid level is proper (unless you have AGMs) and keep them clean. Rinsing with fresh water is a good start, but at least once a year (3 to 6 times a year if you use your RV a lot) use a solution of baking soda and water and a brush to clean the outside of the battery, and hold down bracketry and the battery box. Part of your maintenance should include applying a fresh coating of grease on the battery posts and terminal.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 montana 2955RL with everything off. has a 0.09amp draw, my last 5th wheel a 1998 excel pulled almost 3 amps. But I agree with the others you need a better battery bank and solar. I just added 4 6 volt golf cart battery's 120ah each, 4 100 watt panels on the roof and a 2000 watt inverter/charger I can't believe I never put solar on my other RV'S
Mel

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Battery is shot. My guess it that at some point it sat discharged and sulfated and has permanently lost capacity. Lead-acid likes to be tip top fully charged when not in use for best life. Also don't let it discharge much below 12.2 volts. At this level it needs recharge asap.

I recommend two group 27 or two GC2 (6v golf batteries) as a minimum for off-grid camping. With conservation and minimal furnace you should make two nights.
This would be my sentiment as well. I would also install a battery disconnect to prevent the battery from discharge when not in use or plugged in. It only takes a week for parasitic drains to completely discharge a battery. Make sure you get a deep cycle 12 volt battery as well. They will last a lot longer.

Like the above poster stated I use two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If boondocking is the plan, beef up the battery bank choosing what ever format will allow the greatest number of amp-hours @ 12 volts.

I would add solar as well. (and did on my own RV).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
woodguy00 wrote:
My Rockwood 8289 came with Group24 12 volt "marine" battery.

Would you call this normal life before recharging? The dealer tested the battery yesterday and all readings showed 100 percent normal.

NO not normal.
Did the dealer test the WHOLE 12 V system.....or just the battery ?

The converter might not be charging the battery correctly....or at all.
Or there may be phantom power draws that you don't know about.

Typically, one battery is not enough.

Is this unit new or used ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take the battery to a auto parts store and have them load test it. Take it back to the dealer with the results and ask for a new good battery...good luck with that.
No it's not normal...as stated above it sat too long discharged on the dealer's lot. Also, one battery is not enough amps for boondocking...two minimum and four is better so you do not pull them below the 50 percent level. Most use 6V golf cart batteries but they require adding distilled water every couple months.
The CO detector should be called a low voltage audio alarm.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Battery is shot. My guess it that at some point it sat discharged and sulfated and has permanently lost capacity. Lead-acid likes to be tip top fully charged when not in use for best life. Also don't let it discharge much below 12.2 volts. At this level it needs recharge asap.

I recommend two group 27 or two GC2 (6v golf batteries) as a minimum for off-grid camping. With conservation and minimal furnace you should make two nights.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, it's not normal. The 12V should last you all night with the CPAP and furnace as long as the furnace isn't running all of the time. I wouldn't expect it make it two nights with both items drawing power at night. As said above, two 6V batteries will do a lot better but you still need to figure out what's wrong with the power usage before buying two 6V batteries.

Yes, leave the refrigerator running on propane. The 12V control panel doesn't draw enough power for one night to worry about. If you're going to use the furnace, then you have to use its fan, it won't run without it.

If the battery is good, then there's a problem someplace else.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan on dry camping you should think about getting four 6 volt golf cart batteries and some solar would help extend your dry camping past the weekend.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.