cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to remove sealant/caulk?

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Ok all, need some help here. I have a 2012 Puma TH. The Puma's have aluminum siding. Previous owner was trying to do the annual checking of the caulking around the doors and windows. In order to seal some cracks, he apparently used what he had handy, which looks to be white dicor roof sealant. Well, since that sealant stays pliable, in the west texas heat out here, it is running down the sides of the trailer. Causing a nasty mess and ugly as heck. I need to remove this sealant and replace with clear caulk, like should have been used in the first place. Only way I can think of to get it all removed is with a razorblade and HOURS worth of work. Since the aluminum siding is corrugated, this will be a long, painstaking process. I can post some pics in a little while to give yall an idea of what I'm dealing with. Anybody have any suggestions?
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH
10 REPLIES 10

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Just removed some old caulk this morning using mineral spirits and a plastic scraper. Works pretty good, just time consuming and slow. I resealed using Proflex white caulk, they also sell a clear caulk.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer

Is this what you would recommend to re-seal with? It's what my local dealer said was the best.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a plastic scraper and mineral spirits to remove it in the past with pretty good success. It is still a nasty job, though and is time consuming.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Try using some mineral spirits as a solvent. It probably won't remove the paint if it's cured properly. Warming the caulking with a heat gun may help., but it might make an even worse mess.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. I am hesitant to use any kind of solvent, for fear of damaging either the finish or the existing clear sealant that I will be caulking over once this white junk is removed. This white sealant is so sticky that I know I won't be able to get it all off of the metal. Will the Sikasil-GP (Acetoxy Silicone sealant/adhesive) stick to the residue or will it not adhere??

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rmoore0852 wrote:
I'm fairly sure he used the white self-leveling roof sealant. That's what it looks like. It's still pliable and very sticky. I can't post pics from my work computer, will be able to this evening. I am planning on using Sikasil-GP clear to replace. That sealant is what the RV dealer recommended. Will try the paint thinner on a small area. My siding is aluminum, so no gelcoat to worry about.
I tried using paint thinner to take some decal glue off and it took the paint off as well. You might want to test whatever you use in a inconspicuous area.

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
I'm fairly sure he used the white self-leveling roof sealant. That's what it looks like. It's still pliable and very sticky. I can't post pics from my work computer, will be able to this evening. I am planning on using Sikasil-GP clear to replace. That sealant is what the RV dealer recommended. Will try the paint thinner on a small area. My siding is aluminum, so no gelcoat to worry about.

RLGetman
Explorer
Explorer
Anything with distillates in it will weaken your gel/clear coat and cause faster oxidation.

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have cleaned mine with paint thinner or better is campstove fuel. it will make the sealer soft and clean the sealer off after you scrape. Test first, to make sure what you use is not taking the paint off. It's a long job.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your thinking of using something like clear silicone, GOOD LUCK! Dicor or Proflex are the correct product. Whether he used self leveling or not is the question you should ask.
As for removing any caulking, a plastic scraper is your best tool for the job.