cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

blown tire collision or comprehensive

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tire blow out and i have geico insurance. The blowout caused damage to the camper because i had to get off the bay bridge before i could pull over. I have been told that i am at fault and this will be a collision claim. I told them if I am at fault for a tire blowing (which the air pressure was checked before the trip and brakes and tires were serviced less than a year ago) then they can call me Jesus Christ for now on. How can this not be a comprehensive claim it is an act of god. Anyways they are reviewing the claim again because i told them if i am at fault cancel all my policies.
59 REPLIES 59

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RECVEH2005 wrote:
If Geico wouldn't spend so much money putting that very annoying lizard on TV every fifteen minutes, maybe they would have enough to pay claims properly! Their commercials are STUPID!

Mike

Sure got your attention! That is what they want.

You just advertised for them and so did I!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
First recourse on trailer tire failures should ALWAYS be with the tire company. Given enough payouts maybe they will decide to get out of the market or make a trailer tire that does not fail as often. Over the years only major tire manufacturers Goodyear and Carlisle have remained in the field. All the other major just gave up on the design. The design of Special Trailer tires has not changed much over the 16 years that I have owned 5th wheels. They are basically the same tire that was for local hauling on small utility type trailers.

Somewhere along the road some bright person thought that one could put them on heavy large travel, boat or horse trailers and drive on freeways at 65 MPH for hours at a time! Well we read repeatedly on this and other sites about how this has worked out.

Some learn to seek out better tires and others continue with repeated failures year after year, blinded by a large marketing campaign by the remaining companies that manufacture the product, now in mostly chinese tire factories with old school equipment and little of no quality control in place.

We would never allow this kind of tire performance on our new car or pickup, yet we are told to live with it on a new 60-80K or more trailer????

There are better solutions, but they cost money!!! My guess is that major manufacturers that buy trailer wheels and tires pre-mounted from Tredit or Tireco pay less than a hundred bucks for a 16" alloy wheel and LRE ST tire!!! Then the consumer pays for this cheapness later down the road.

Stop it at the source! DO NOT buy a new trailer with cheap ST tires! On 7K axles that means Goodyear G614 or 17.5 rims and commercial grade 215/75/17.5 tires. The difference to the manufacturer? $500 verses $2500-3000. Expect to pay the difference, however there will never be a cheaper time to do it right.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Their call.
HR

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
BuckBarker wrote:
"A collision is an isolated event in which two or more moving bodies (colliding bodies) exert forces on each other for a relatively short time."

Which two bodies were involved? Ask 'em!

Wrong, there are single vehicle accidents all the time. Car slides and hits guard rail or tree.
Don

NOPE! Single vehicle "accidents" are crashes. Two or more moving objects are collisions.

dogwood36322
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same damage from a blowout on truck and on trailer. Both times it was comprehensive. I have State Farm insurance.
Jim,
Retired US Army, Still training Army pilots at Ft.Rucker, Al.
2011 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7, B&W turnover hitch/5th wheel.
2014 Heritage Glen 356QBQ
Days Camped 2016----33

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
fishingbob61 wrote:
If it was a Good Year tire less than 5yrs old they will pay for repairs and new tire,

that applies to the G614's, not their Marathon tires .... unsure as to their Load Range H tires

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
If Geico wouldn't spend so much money putting that very annoying lizard on TV every fifteen minutes, maybe they would have enough to pay claims properly! Their commercials are STUPID!

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
About 15 years ago, State Farm did the same thing to me. Tire blew out and took the gas tank filler tube with it on a '86 D150. Nothing I said could change their determination that it was a collision. Guess what, I changed insurance companies.

A tire is a part of the motor vehicle. So a part of your vehicle can collide with a part of your vehicle? Give me a break.

Ironically, I switched to Geico 2 years ago. You have me thinking twice.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Peaches and cream nailed it....reading the policy language is always a good thing to do. Some States will vary, but I would be shocked if the tire just blew and it was a collision. In 26 years of being an agent in Oregon, I've always seen this a comp claim. These days, some company's do charge for comp losses...:(
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

J2
Explorer
Explorer
Nationwide charged me with a blow out :M

HedoTravelers
Explorer
Explorer
BuckBarker wrote:
"A collision is an isolated event in which two or more moving bodies (colliding bodies) exert forces on each other for a relatively short time."

Which two bodies were involved? Ask 'em!

In physics, the sudden, forceful coming together in direct contact of two bodies, such as, for example, two billiard balls, a golf club and a ball, a hammer and a nail head, or a falling object and a floor.
The insurance company will try to categorize it as whatever cost them less in the long run. I would fight for it to be covered under comp. Sometimes you have to really lean on them to see it your way.
Respect,
Brent

TV ~
Searching for diesel TV, Prodigy
Rig ~
Keystone Montana 3400RL
Selling 2010 Keystone Passport 256RLS

"Wherever you go, there you are"

TubaPete
Explorer
Explorer
woodworker59 wrote:
If the tire in fact is at fault, then the tires insurance should pay the claim. It's a comp claim. Geico should go after the tire company for damages, that's what you pay them for. Don't give up. Fight. Dave

I recently lost a side panel when a tire exploded. The tire dealer told me the tire company would deny any claim because he saw evidence of a puncture in the cords. Without goind into details I am pretty sure that wasn't the cause of the failure but I had no leg to stand on.

And like others I was originally told it was a collision claim, by someone who struck me as a person new on the job. At the first step in the claims process it was changed to comprehensive.
Tuba Pete

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is exactly why I preach using GY tires.

No insurance to deal with, they are great about backing up their product.

2 sets of GY's on each of the last two RV's and never even a flat.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

woodworker59
Explorer
Explorer
If the tire in fact is at fault, then the tires insurance should pay the claim. It's a comp claim. Geico should go after the tire company for damages, that's what you pay them for. Don't give up. Fight. Dave

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the definition as per Geico:

4.Comprehensive physical damage coverage pays for losses resulting from incidents other than collision. For example, comprehensive insurance covers damage to your car if it is stolen; or damaged by flood, fire or animals. To keep your premiums low, select as high a deductible as you feel comfortable paying out of pocket.

5.Collision coverage pays for damage to your car when your car hits, or is hit by, another vehicle or other object.

It appears your vehicle was hit by a object (tire) and caused the damage. Therefore it falls under Collision coverage.

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/coverages-explained/