cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue DEF

3Fivers51
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering about DEF for your diesel trucks. My dealer that I bought my truck from said just use Blue DEF and nothing else. I talked to another camper with a diesel truck and he said he buys the DEF from Wal-mart and it is not the 'Blue" Def and said it is quite cheaper. He also said that he has not had any problems with the Def he buys. Just getting opinions/facts from you diesel truck enthusiasts and see what you think. My nephew did mention to me that don't buy the DEF at truck stops at the pump because you don't know how long they have had it and also the the spigot could be dirty and he said you would need to make sure that spigot is clean!!!! Other than that I welcome anything to be said on this subject. Thanks so much!!! Bill
33 REPLIES 33

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been using WM DEF since '15 and no issues. Just make sure the seal hasn't been tampered with as was mentioned above
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 2011 Duramax that I put 115K on and used the cheap stuff, I.E. Walmart Brand most of the time. Only DEF issue was with the two original defective NOx sensors.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Frank55 wrote:
I bought the cheap stuff...once...check engine light came on, said it was a DEF issue. Used the Blue, after about 2-3 tanks of fuel, the CEL went away, no problems in 50,000 miles.

It would be nice to know what truck and what the trouble code was so that we might learn something.

Frank55
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the cheap stuff...once...check engine light came on, said it was a DEF issue. Used the Blue, after about 2-3 tanks of fuel, the CEL went away, no problems in 50,000 miles.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Blue is fine for pulling a 5th wheel.

As well as for *not* pulling anything.

As to which one *might* be better (excluding "use by" date), go to
any of the various (by brand) diesel forums and check opinions.
(Get the "scoop" from owners of *your* brand - and decide if you like what they say).)

Besides self, you may find someone with a Chem major who cares -or-
one of the forums may have done an extensive study - as one of 'em did for diesel fuel additives "long ago"!...:W

~

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think some people just feel better paying more for something, so I say good for them.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
LOL, 3 pages discussing chicken whiz. For the experts, do you get better def from a Rhode Island Red , a Plymouth Rock , or a Leghorn ?

Uh, that would have to be a milking chicken, right???

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
LOL, 3 pages discussing chicken whiz. For the experts, do you get better def from a Rhode Island Red , a Plymouth Rock , or a Leghorn ?

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Just because something costs more money does not mean it is better. Pricing strategy is very complex and rarely has anything to do with manufacturing costs by themselves. It is all about a marketing strategy to maximize profits. That is why there are so many government regulations, testing labs, and competition. Blue Def, Walmart, and many other reputable brands meet the proper certifications and testing. So it is foolish to pay a higher price for that product. This is a guide that some companies use for pricing. Companies are in business to make a profit and do what they have to do to do that. https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/pricing-strategy/6-different-pricing-strategies-which-is-right-for-your-business/

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
DEF is DEF, buy whatever has the lowest price. I do have concerns with dirty nozzles at truck stops, but many use it with no problems. Walmart most likely has the best price on their own brand.

agesilaus wrote:
As noted DEF is DEF is DEF. It is all the same, save yourself some money and buy the $7 stuff from Walmart.

So you are both certified chemist that have tested all brands of DEF on all counts including purity.

The effects of less pure DEF likely will not appear right away, the same as using cheap engine oil will only build sludge which leads to issues down the road.
As often as I need to add DEF I will use a brand name.

Today, cars and trucks and other applications using diesel engines sold in the United States must meet stringent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions requirements. To meet these requirements, many diesel engine manufacturers use Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), an emissions aftertreatment technology that converts nitrogen oxides (NOx) in the diesel-engine exhaust stream into nitrogen and water vapor, two natural components in the air we breathe.

Diesel exhaust fluid (also referred to as DEF or AUS 32) is injected into the diesel exhaust stream and the heat from the exhaust, the fluid, and a catalyst convert the NOx into the harmless gases.

Diesel exhaust fluid is a 32.5% solution of technically pure urea in purified water. For the SCR unit to operate properly, the DEF must meet an exacting purity standard. This standard, published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), is intended to ensure that the diesel exhaust fluid used in SCR-equipped cars and trucks provides the purity required by diesel engine manufacturers and the quality to preserve the emissions control system and the environment.

The API Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Certification Program is a voluntary program designed to certify and monitor the quality characteristics of diesel exhaust fluid intended for use in motor vehicles with diesel engines. Diesel exhaust fluid marketers that have demonstrated that their products satisfy the requirements of the most recent and applicable edition of ISO 22241, Diesel engines โ€“ NOx reduction agent AUS 32, may be licensed to display the API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark.

API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification has many benefits:

Identifies for consumers diesel exhaust fluids that meet diesel engine manufacturer requirements.
Helps consumers find those fluids.
Gives consumers a choice of quality brands from which to choose.
Helps reduce Nitrogen Oxide emissions.
Provides rigorous monitoring of fluids in the marketplace.
Tests licensed fluids to ensure that they meet program requirements.
A complete list of licensees is available on our Licensee Directory.

Please download the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Program Overview for additional information and program requirements.

Please direct any questions or comments regarding licensing to apidef@api.org
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Blue is fine for pulling a 5th wheel.

??? And what pray tell do we use when not towing?

DEF is DEF. The only difference is what you pay for it.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing is that whatever DEF is used, that it's properly certified. That certification assures pharmacy grade urea and the water is properly distilled as well as the proper mixture ratio. Walmart and Blue DEF and many others are properly certified. It makes a lot of sense to buy the least expensive and assure the date codes are recent. Also, when buying that product make certain the seal is in place. There have been reports that some scum bags have purchased DEF and emptied the container and refilling it with tap water and returning the jug for credit.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
NRALIFR wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
DEF is DEF, buy whatever has the lowest price. I do have concerns with dirty nozzles at truck stops, but many use it with no problems. Walmart most likely has the best price on their own brand.

agesilaus wrote:
As noted DEF is DEF is DEF. It is all the same, save yourself some money and buy the $7 stuff from Walmart.

So you are both certified chemist that have tested all brands of DEF on all counts including purity.

The effects of less pure DEF likely will not appear right away, the same as using cheap engine oil will only build sludge which leads to issues down the road.

Iโ€™m not a chemist, but I have a DEF refractometer and use it to check the DEF that I buy in jugs, and keep at home. Cheap DEF, expensive DEF, new DEF, old DEF, BlueDEF or Supertech DEF, if the refractometer says the urea is 32.5%, it will do itโ€™s job in your exhaust system. DEF doesnโ€™t get used in, burned by, consumed by, or run through the engine, so you donโ€™t have to worry about any sludge buildup there.

Because DEF is a legally required pollution control fluid used in literally millions and millions of Diesel engines, the urea used to produce DEF is already extremely pure, pharmaceutical grade. The only other substance in DEF is deionized water.

Diesel Exhaust Fluid doesnโ€™t degrade nearly as quickly as people assume. For example, at 86ยฐF, DEF has a shelf life of a year. BUT REMEMBER: Donโ€™t equate shelf life to spoiling like food, as DEF will not โ€œgo badโ€. It will lose some effectiveness, and the SCR will dose at a higher rate, but it wonโ€™t โ€œgo bad.โ€ If maintained at a constant temperature, DEF manages to stay for several months. For example, at 74ยฐF Diesel Exhaust Fluid has the shelf life of 44 months.

My garage supply cabinets get zero sunlight, and rarely if ever exceed 85 degrees. I donโ€™t stockpile it, but Iโ€™ve usually got a 2.5 gallon box or jug of it my garage. I make note of the date code on it when I buy it. Itโ€™s always used up in less than a year.

When my truck says the DEF tank is less than 1/2 full, I pour in 2.5 gallons when I get home, and buy a new jug the next time Iโ€™m able. If weโ€™re on a long trip and it gets under 1/2 full, the next time I need to stop at a Walmart I buy a jug or box and dump it in. I have never used the bulk pumps because thereโ€™s never a convenient one when I need it. Iโ€™m not driving miles out of my way to buy such a low usage item in order to save what? About a dollar a gallon?

Finally, ONLY product that adheres to the ISO 22241 specification and is licensed with the API can be called Diesel Exhaust Fluidโ€ฆall other products are simply Urea Solutions to various concentrations and cannot be called Diesel Exhaust Fluid.

:):)

first real good answer here, I can add a couple thing. DEF freezes at -10C or 14F which is why you have heaters in your def tank. so from personal experiance if you live in an area that sees freezing temps a lot never fill up from a truck stop in the winter, or fill untill it comes out of the filler. I know for my truck they say add one jug when it says 1/2 full this allows expansion room in the tank.
I made this mistake once and the result was a cracked housing allowing the def to leak into the heater coil area, the fix was a brand new heater assembly and 3 hours of my time. ford up here wanted 1600 bucks to do the job. also as stated a few times, buy the cheepest one, they are all mandated to be a spicifc purity and such and they are a POST treatment so the worst that I can see happening is they dont work quite as good if your doing a smog test but should still be good enough to do the job.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

All DEF is the same percentage of water and urea and you don't have to be a chemist to know that. Walmart DEF is also API certified.
If you want to buy Peak and waste money then go for it.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs